Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moly coated rounds, yay or nay?

Options
  • 12-04-2010 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭

Right lads, just waiting on the import cert for my T3!

I'd like to hear peoples opinions on moly and nonmoly coated ammo?

Fire away:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

murph226 wrote: »
    Right lads, just waiting on the import cert for my T3!

I'd like to hear peoples opinions on moly and nonmoly coated ammo?

Fire away:D

Moly All the way if you are .223 Faster velocities appreciate it. I have had no copper fouling in 3 years of owning a .223 as a result.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Yes its .223, what do you use for cleaning?

Yes its .223, what do you use for cleaning?

Well I have a bottle of Forrest Foam and Hoppes Benchrest too.
    But when you clean very little dirt comes out to be honest.

In comparison to Copper which can be very hard to shift

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

them moly rounds dont shoot well out of my gun
    a tikka tactical,found them very sporadic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

what ammo are you using Enda?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

Tikka Tactical .223 + Hornday 55gr BT Moly = perfect every time :)

what ammo are you using Enda?

i think it was 55gr hornady

endasmail wrote: »
    them moly rounds dont shoot well out of my gun
    a tikka tactical,found them very sporadic

Tikka and Remington have different Twist rates, 55grain do best in remmy whereas 70grain do best in Tikka. I fired a bix of 75grain at paper and they were all over the place.

I'll stay with my 55grain Moly Hornday

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭gentleman jim

Moly All the way if you are .223 Faster velocities appreciate it. I have had no copper fouling in 3 years of owning a .223 as a result.;)

i use moly rounds with a moly coat in my barrell. not one bit of fouling and i find the barrell does not be anywhere near as dirty as when i use to use copper rounds

Tikka and Remington have different Twist rates, 55grain do best in remmy whereas 70grain do best in Tikka. I fired a bix of 75grain at paper and they were all over the place.

I'll stay with my 55grain Moly Hornday

ill have to get myself afew boxes of 70gr to see what way they fire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

YAY on moly, makes cleanin a hell of alot easier and it's not really required as often as you have no copper residue nestling in the twists.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Just to throw a spanner in the works (so to speak). Read this extract in this article posted by murph226.
    According to Mike Rock and the other barrel manufactures agreed, all you need to avoid this metal-to-metal contact is a good burnish in the barrel. Some barrel manufactures will void your barrel warranty if you shoot moly bullets. This is not to say that moly is necessarily bad for a barrel, but it can be when applied to bullets. Never shoot moly coated bullets as they are bad juju for the throat of a rifle.

Just another angle/view point. Wondering if any of you had similar experiences.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

ezridax wrote: »
    Just to throw a spanner in the works (so to speak). Read this extract in this article posted by murph226.

Just another angle/view point. Wondering if any of you had similar experiences.

I wonder did that dude work for Remington or federal?:D

Advertisement