Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant for Over 23s?

Options
  • 12-04-2010 7:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I will be 24 in May, so am over 23.

If I do a Masters in September, away from home, can I get a grant based on independent means testing, or will my parents be taken into account as I am currently living at home? Don't they consider your situation from the previous October or something to that effect?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Yes it's the previous October from recollection. I don't know if they'd consider bending the rules if you petitioned for it though ;)

I know when I got mine as a mature student they still needed all my parents' paperwork (I was 27!) but I got the higher rate regardless of how far from the college I lived because I was an old fart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

Pity. Can't afford to leave Cork for this course, and the folks have not intention of helping me out. To the bank it is then...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

pow wow wrote: »
    Yes it's the previous October from recollection. I don't know if they'd consider bending the rules if you petitioned for it though ;)

I know when I got mine as a mature student they still needed all my parents' paperwork (I was 27!) but I got the higher rate regardless of how far from the college I lived because I was an old fart.

Hi pow wow,
    im in a similar situation, did you get a grant to cover your course fees? and did you get anything to cover your living expenses?
    What is the higher rate for masters study?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Hi, sorry only saw this now! In answer to your question, I got my fees paid and a grant of about 3.5k (it was a year or two ago now).

Advertisement