Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Settle an argument for me...

Options
  • 12-04-2010 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭

Could anyone here settle an argument for me...

If someone is doing a full-time PHD at one college, can they do a part time Masters at another college concurrently??

I say no but my buddy says yes (he's bored in the evenings and reckon he has the capacity to juggle both workloads)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Stanford

The technically correct answer is yes. However there could be problems if the Masters was research based and there was any overlap with the subject matter of the PhD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

Even if they're in separate colleges? AFAIK the Masters is taught...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Stanford

There is no legal reason why one cannot do a PhD and Masters at the same time in different colleges, I am ignoring the fact that attempting this would be mentally crazy but there is no legal issue. The fact that the Masters is taught is even better because it will be examined by exams and maybe a short project thesis.

As I said earlier, the only conflict would be if there was a research topic overlap.

As someone who has done a PhD however I'd say your friend is grossly underestimating the amount of work involved plus the fact that a Masters would distract him from concentring on the PhD topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Yes, one of my friends did something similar to this. There was an overlap between the two stages. Was only for for half a year but was do able.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Whenever you are a student in a college they will usually take ownership of your IP. This means that you are signing up your IP with two different colleges. If you invent the next google at college A, college B may jump in to take some money in the deal.

Thats probably the only time its a concern (legally)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Nadnerb111

Seriously now tell your mate to get a life!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

If the PhD was maybe say part time there wouldn't be as much pressure on your friend, but it's a bit mental to do a full time PhD and part time masters at the same time. One of the courses would definitely suffer and he'd be putting a ton of pressure on himself.

Advertisement