Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Robus up/down lighter porch lights??

Options
  • 12-04-2010 8:00pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,just bought 2 Robus up/down lighter porch/wall lights the other day.

Each porch light comes complete with 2 GU10 35W bulbs.

The sparks thats fitting them told me that I can simply take these GU10 35w bulbs out and use LED bulbs instead.

He said the the LED downlighter bulbs will not only be brighter and look better on the porch at night,but they will only use a fraction of the electricity compared to the GU10 35W bulbs.

Is this true??
    Can I fit LED bulbs??

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

You might've been better off buying the CFL versions, they are a little longer and they come with 11watt GU10 bulbs..
    Anyway,yep you can put LED bulbs into them. They are dearer than the standard bulbs to buy but you're only burning a couple of watts at most depending on which one you go for.
    A lot of them aren't as bright as the standard bulb though. But if you only want a nice lighting effect they'll be fine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

alwaysadub wrote: »
    You might've been better off buying the CFL versions, they are a little longer and they come with 11watt GU10 bulbs..
    Anyway,yep you can put LED bulbs into them. They are dearer than the standard bulbs to buy but you're only burning a couple of watts at most depending on which one you go for.
    A lot of them aren't as bright as the standard bulb though. But if you only want a nice lighting effect they'll be fine.

Good to know that I can use the LED bulbs then.

Thanks for that.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

robus themselves do an 8 watt led gu-10 lamp. most of the led lamps currently for sale are in and around 3 watts so the light from the robus one is quite a bit brighter. however it is longer then a std gu-10 and looking at the pic you posted i think you will only get a 3 watt led or a 7 watt cfl into that fitting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

robus themselves do an 8 watt led gu-10 lamp. most of the led lamps currently for sale are in and around 3 watts so the light from the robus one is quite a bit brighter. however it is longer then a std gu-10 and looking at the pic you posted i think you will only get a 3 watt led or a 7 watt cfl into that fitting.

Yeah,I was told that by a mate of mine who was a sparks,he says that LED downlight bulbs are about 1 cm longer than normal downlighter bulbs.

I checked,and an LED will just go in and the glass cap will screw back on with a little bit of space to spare.

Thanks for that.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 zabzab

watts are a measure of power consumption not volume as in speakers or amplifiers or light which is measured in other ways lumens etc

• Advertisement
Advertisement