Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Youth Club in Balbriggan North

Options
  • 12-04-2010 8:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi all,

With the assistance of Foroige I am in the process of setting up/resurrecting the Youth Club in North Balbriggan. It will be held one evening a week from 7pm - 9pm. The exact day will be dependant on volunteers' availability. We are currently in discussions to find a suitable location but we're hoping to have that finalised shortly.

To do this we need as many volunteers as possible. I'd be delighted to hear from anyone with a couple of hours to spare in the evening time and who would be interested in making a difference in the community. You don't need any experience or particular skills but if you have any that would be a bonus.

If you're currently working on your President's Award (Gaisce) and are over 17 years of age we can speak to your PAL about signing off your community involvement portion. If you're interested in finding out more about the Gaisce - check out www.gaisce.ie

Volunteers need to be able to get Garda Clearance to work with young people & must be prepared to sit 4 hours of child protection training. This is free & will be organised & facilitated by Foroige in Balbriggan.

A bit about me - seeing as I'm asking for your help:

I've lived in Balbriggan for the past 7 years but I am from the Northside of Dublin so didn't need to bring my passport with me. Mind you, I think I've another 60 years to go before people start calling me "our lad" (if ever). :D

I work fulltime and have children myself so understand the importance of having good facilities for the youths in the town. I also understand that cost is an issue for many people when signing their kids up to clubs & activities these days.

If you're interested in becoming involved or offering any kind of support I'd love to hear from you.

I can be contacted via the PM facility.

ETA
    Thanks to the mods for allowing me to stick this up as my first post!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

A pleasure BN. The very best of luck with this endeavour. Fair dues!

Stickied for a week to give exposure.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

To anyone that has the time,it is a really worth while endeavor and if I hadn't moved house I would still be involved:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 BalbrigganNorth

Thanks Hill Billy & Moonbeam. I'd press the thank you button but it's disabled due to lack of posts. ;)

Moonbeam if you have any advice you'd be able to pass on I'd really appreciate it.

I thought I'd post a little update. :D

With the assistance of Foroige, we've managed to secure the use of St Molaga's on Wednesday evenings for the youth club. We hope to be up and running within the next month.

Thank you to everyone who contacted me directly to offer assistance & we're still looking for more volunteers so I'm always available by PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

De-stickying, but wishing you the best of luck with this!

HB

• Advertisement

Hi Everyone

We commence on Wednesday 5th of May next in St Molaga's School Hall.

The hours will be as follows:

7-8pm for 10-12 year olds
    8-9.30pm for secondary school students

If anyone is interested in their child attending please contact me by pm.

We're also up and running as a fanpage on Facebook if anyone would like to contact us that way, add in "Balbriggan North Youth Club" and twitter, just add bnyouthclub to follow for updates.

Hi Everyone

I just wanted to do a quick update. The new Youth Club has been up and running for 3 weeks now and so far it's a huge success.

We have been overwhelmed with the level of support & in fact, 4 of our volunteers are regular boardsies on the NCD Forum. So a massive thanks to everyone involved.

Our priority now is to source funding as we have been running on a shoestring and promises since we started. If anyone is in a position to offer us support either by way of sponsorship or a service please contact me via pm or email bnyouthclub (all one word) at gmail dot com.

Thank you once again.

Advertisement