Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

work/education oppurtunities when you have a disability?

Options
  • 12-04-2010 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I am frustrated and feel let down by system in this country.
    I have a long term illness which is disabling.
    I am not on any welfare payments as i'm not entitled to any.
    I'm married with two kids and my kids are now at school and my health is a bit more stabilied on a medication which seems to be working better for me.
    I have good days and bad with my health but overall my health is doing well the last year and i'm feeling at a level that I may be able to get back to work or education.
    Fatigue is my biggest disability and I think i'd only manage something very part time but I need to do this for sanity reasons and self development.
    At the moment i feel very frustrated as have tried looking for information and getting help from a few different areas to no avail.
    I find because I am not on a social welfare payment that it leaves me with less oppurtunites to get back to work!
    I tried FAS disability section last autumn and it was of no help to me.
    I have looked into doing online courses but they are all expensive.
    My husband works fulltime but we could not afford to pay for education for me ontop on childcare and possibly then some house help if I was out at college all day.
    I'm at a loss. Given my illness too I don't know what area to start in as my fatigue and cognitive problems mean that now i'm not as good or as fast as learning as I used be and I'm much slower and doing things.
    I don't want a big career but I'd really like to find an area i'm interested in that I could skill up in and be able to work at.
    Anyone know anywhere I can get help ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Have you tried your local VEC? They have an adult education or disability advisor who could help you. Or see if IASE have anyone that could help you.

Probably best to try to get any job - it is always easier to get a better job when you have a job (though neither will be easy in these difficult times).

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Have you considered maybe doing a small bit of voluntary work?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 monjon

sillycow wrote: »
    I am frustrated and feel let down by system in this country.
    I have a long term illness which is disabling.
    I am not on any welfare payments as i'm not entitled to any.
    I'm married with two kids and my kids are now at school and my health is a bit more stabilied on a medication which seems to be working better for me.
    I have good days and bad with my health but overall my health is doing well the last year and i'm feeling at a level that I may be able to get back to work or education.
    Fatigue is my biggest disability and I think i'd only manage something very part time but I need to do this for sanity reasons and self development.
    At the moment i feel very frustrated as have tried looking for information and getting help from a few different areas to no avail.
    I find because I am not on a social welfare payment that it leaves me with less oppurtunites to get back to work!
    I tried FAS disability section last autumn and it was of no help to me.
    I have looked into doing online courses but they are all expensive.
    My husband works fulltime but we could not afford to pay for education for me ontop on childcare and possibly then some house help if I was out at college all day.
    I'm at a loss. Given my illness too I don't know what area to start in as my fatigue and cognitive problems mean that now i'm not as good or as fast as learning as I used be and I'm much slower and doing things.
    I don't want a big career but I'd really like to find an area i'm interested in that I could skill up in and be able to work at.
    Anyone know anywhere I can get help ?

HI Sillycow,
    I know exactly where you are coming from I have a sensory disability (hearing problems) although I am not profoundly deaf I do have good hearing with the help of hearing aids,I went back as a mature student and did my leaving cert at 43 yrs old, and it was the best thing I have ever done personally for myself(not for the hubbie, or the kids, or the house,) yet the feeling of self achievement was just unbelievable, have you thought about returning to education,? although there is a F A S course called return to work which may be helpful as you learn basic computers which is a start, and a step in the right direction, I went to my local V E C and I actually received a training allowance while doing the two year leaving cert course, I am sure they should be able to help you, Good Luck and please let s know how you get on,
    Monjon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

Hi,

Perhaps try contact your local PLC college.

There are significant grants for students who return to education.

Upon completion of same there may be an opportunity to enter a high level qualification such as a Level 6 Certificate. Most of the larger colleges have an access programme which you may also be eligable for.

If not there are mature student programmes also.

And some of the larger colleges offer financial support towards childcare and materials in addition to your grant.

Id suggest approaching Local PLC first - asking for maybe a mature student officer who could direct you on the right path.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

Here is something I read just today. It’s about a guy here in the states who needed surgery, but didn’t have any medical insurance. When all fees were tallied, the cheapest price he could find locally was $33,127 (US dollars) which he would have needed to pay out of pocket. But doing a little work he and relatives found a private hospital in Wales that would perform the surgery for $2,930 (US dollars). He purchased a $768 round-trip ticket and got the operation.

I thought to myself, what a great idea for someone located in the EU to start an online business (on a fee basis) helping people here in the states (because more and more are losing their medical insurance due to the economy and costs) find and arrange affordable medical procedures.

It might be something you could consider.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/04/26/cheaper.surgery/index.html?iref=allsearch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 sillycow

Thank you all so much for your advice!!
    I had computer problems so only able to return to thank you all now.
    Will look up all the info you gave me :) Thanks so much :)

Advertisement