Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Garden Questions

Options
  • 12-04-2010 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I sowed my garden seeds back in September. Now the grass is growing, but is very patchy. Im just wondering if I should fertilise it? There's also some weeds in it too so Id want to kill them off and cover the patches.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭johno2

I only ever put down lawn seed in April, May, June or July. Preferably April or May. It can't handle frost at all when it's young. If it's put down later in the summer other plants/weeds can out compete it and it won't have grown enough to survive a winter. I think you should spray the weediest patches with something like Grazon to kill them off and re-sow more grass seed a week later. If you sprinkle some grass clippings over the seed it makes it harder for the birds to find it and eat it all before it sprouts.

johno

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

So best bet would be to put lawn seed on the patches that dont seem to have growth yet?

There are products out there that fertilise and kill weeds at the same time. Are they worth trying?

Advertisement