Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New HDD + sound problem?

Options
  • 12-04-2010 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Ok today I discovered my computer was on an endless start-up loop, and nothing was working to get me out of it, so I installed a new HDD in my pc and put on a fresh copy of XP (which I'd been meaning to do for ages, this just made me do it!)

Now, everything went perfectly, no probs, however, now I have no sound at all coming out of my speakers, either built into the monitor or on external speakers I'm running through the headphone jack.

I've tried runing all the updates possible, but its still not working. Now, because this is my first upgrade of a pc I have no idea what I'm really looking at, so I can't work out what the problem is. It says all my codecs etc are working perfectly in device manager- anyone have any ideas? Cheers.

Zo

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Have you reinstalled all the drivers? Including the chipset drivers and the drivers for all the stuff on the mobo - ethernet, sound, maybe video and so on?

Once you've reinstalled the correct sound drivers you should check in Device Manager and DXDiag to see if its really working, then check your Audio Properties to make sure that XP has correctly selected the onboard sound as the default playback device (sometimes it randomly chooses microphones, modems and so on after a fresh install! :o).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Hey,

Thanks for the reply- I didn't actually reinstall any driversd (i know!) but tbh I have no idea how to find out what drivers I need- I didn't build this thing myself, and nowhere can I find anything specific about the model parts... Where would I find out exactly? All the device manager says is basically 'everything is working fine'???

Ok, maybe a bit more info would be helpful, sorry.

Ok when I go into control panel and go to 'sounds speech and audio devices' it says there is no audio device. When I go to hardware it tells me my stuff is working fine? :confused:

Sorry I'm a total noob here and have no clue what I'm doing... I'm sure I just need to install the proper drivers but I have no idea how to find out what sound card I have and stuff...

*edit: ok, I used dxdiag and i don't have a sound card installed apparently, although I had full sound before i switched hdds so I know there is one. Any idea how I find out what drivers I need?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Try going Start > Run > DXDiag and see what it says under Model Name; it should give you a clue about your motherboard model. Then go to the manufacturers website and try to excavate some of their buried drivers ;)

hey Solitaire- thanks a million, I'm all working again! :D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement