Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handy tunes for student mandoliner

Options
  • 12-04-2010 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Taken up the mandolin for playing at local sessions, (too many guitars, incl me). Just looking for a few (fairly easy, not TOO fast) tunes to add to my limited list.
    Play by ear (tab sometimes for first few notes or complicated ones :-).
    Have:
    Ashokan farewell
    Roisin Dubh
    Finnegans Wake
    Rose of Allendale
    Wild Mountain Thyme
    Foggy Dew
    Erin's green shamrock shore
    Nation once again
    Maries Wedding
    Believe me if all those endearing young charms
    and a few others ... any other ideas.
    Currently trying to get my head around jig/reel style/speed on the mando....
    Thank you.
    Ern

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Well what I do and I think you should too, is record your regular sessions and practice at home the "songs" people there tend to sing. Songs are slow and like me you can obviously pick them up by ear. Theres not much point in anyone here suggesting songs or tunes that may rarely come up at your particular session. Tunes like jigs and reels etc. are harder and I personally still need sheet music for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

Blade wrote: »
    Well what I do and I think you should too, is record your regular sessions and practice at home the "songs" people there tend to sing.

+1

I do that as well. Plus if you know the names of tunes check out Henrik Norbeck's Abc Tunes . I use it all the time, and sometimes just go through it listening for tunes I sort of know.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭hitman__

Thanks for that guys, i'm bringing a small recorder to the next couple of sessions. Should have thought of that myself :o

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭tarbolton

• Find a good teacher. You can do it on your own but learning from an experienced teacher is exponentially better.
    • Don't worry about speed. Focus on developing proper technique and precision at slow speeds. Speed will come by itself. Eventually!
    • Join a support group. Find or start a group of learning musicians who will provide mutual support for each other. Trying to join a full speed session can be intimidating for a starter. Ceoltoiri Chluain Tarbh run one such group on Dublin's Northside. Details here. There are others throughout the country.
    • Starter tunes. Here's a few great tunes that are very common and pretty easy to get you going. The notes for these and other tunes can be found on the internet at sites like thesession.org or the ceoltoiri chluain tarbh site
      • Jimmy Wards Jig
      • John McHughs Jig
      • The Kesh Jig
      • Young Tom Ennis
      • The lilting banshee
      • My Darling Asleep
      • The hag at the churn
      • Out in the ocean
      • Rolling in the ryegrass
      • The merry blacksmith

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭hitman__

@tarbolton

Thanks for that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

download audacity. you can slow down tunes on it, but keep the pitch. I have done that to learn some luke plumb stuff, and it seems to work for me anyways. actually learning the luke plumb stuff is the hard part though!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

inisheer is a beautifull mandolin song, very easy too. you can find it on thesession.org

Advertisement