Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Allowance

Options
  • 12-04-2010 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I am renting a 2 bed house in Bray with my brother, we pay 500e each, i have just been made redundant, i have sent all my forms off and am due to meet my CWO on Wednesday, i am just wondering if anyone is in same situation and if their rent allowance was approved. Also i know there is a minimum of 24e per week for me to pay towards rent out of my dole, but does my brother who rents the other room in the house have to pay that too?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

SEE here http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/social-welfare/social-welfare-payments/supplementary-welfare-schemes/rent_
    it says your max rent is 92e per week, in shared accomodation,less than 400 per month.
    SO most single people in ra end up in flats or bedsits in large houses .like rathmines.
    YOU could rent 1 room in a private house where the landlord lives.
    if your brothers working then the welfare do not care what he pays,its none of their business.
    Contact threshold, www.threshold or centrecare for advice.
    IF YOU could get him to pay 1000 - 368 then you,d be ok ,ie he pays
    632 per month.
    1ST thing you do is contact threshold, and ask does the landlord take rent allowance.ASK him could you reduce the rent to 900.
    IF YOUR rent is over the limit your claim will be refused.RING threshold today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 wamsers

Thanks Ricman, i actually thought the threshold was 520, so i got my landlord to write A letter to go with my rent allowance forms saying i pay 500, he dont care what he has to say being honest, as my brother is actually on the dole and it was me paying the 1000 as i was working and he threw me whatever he could manage, all a bit of a mess really. My landlord cannot reduce the rent and normally doesnt allow rent allowance but said he will allow me because of being made redundant. Are you saying that rent allowance will get back and basically say move out to a smaller place, what about my brother tho, that would be my arguement, i mean i reckon id only get a ****ehole for under 400e. Do you think that my CWO will advise that I say my rent is now 400e and im looking for rent allowance based on that and my brother pays 600e now, or is that not believable ? thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

YOU should contact centrecare,or threshold for advice TODAY , but i know if you are over the limit ,you,ll be told to go to a residence thats under the limit.phone threshold today,or go and see them, .
    i,m not a expert but i think 1000 4 two people single on the dole ,is at least 20per cent over the limit.

I DONT know anyone single, on the rent allowance paying more than 92euro rent per week.

THATS why most single people, end up in flats or bedsits.
    MAYBE you could find a 2 bed, house, or apartment under the limit, its not easy to do that.
    OVER the limit= no rent allowance whatsoever, zero.
    see here http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/social-welfare/social-welfare-payments/supplementary-welfare-schemes/rent
    limit is 92 euro,for shared accomodation.
    you also need to register with local housing authority, ie get on the housing list to be eligible
    for rent allowance .

i cant see 2 people in bray paying 1000 rent for a house ,getting rent allowance.
    LOOK on daft ie, apartments for rent, flats or 2bed houses.
    i dont know what shared aCCOMODATION means, on the above website,
    ie the limit for non shared dublin is 120 approx, i a presume that means a bedsit, or flat.

GET professionaL advice, ring threshold,or citizens advice center.
    see http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?search=1&s[cc_id]=ct1&s[a_id]=ga2&s[mnp]=800&s[mxp]=&s[bd_no]=2&s[se
    you might get something this on rent allowance, but only 50 per cent of landlords accept rent allowance.

I,M PRESUMING FOR 2 single people the ra limit in shared accomodation is 94 x2 per week.
    ie max weeky rent is 188 euros for 2 people combined.
    YOU SHOULD BE ABLE to find a 2bed flat under the limit.I,M not saying it,ll be easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 wamsers

Thanks again, i think what Im going to do is type up another letter saying that I now pay my landlord 350e rent for a single room in his house, and get him to sign it, and bring it to my cwo, see what he says, other than that i will have to move, thanks for all your advice.

Advertisement