Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leak in attic

• 12-04-2010 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi, could anyone advise me on how to fix this problem please?
    There is a big bolt on the gable end of my extension. It goes through to the attic and attaches to a big timber beam running the length of the extension. Rain water is coming in through the bolt hole and wetting the end of the beam. It's my first house & I don't know how to fix it :o
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

The best bet would be to climb up outside and seal it with silicone. Can you force silicone out through the hole from the inside. You would beed to force it right out or you will have a pocket of water lodging.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭mrs.machine

Thanks for your reply. I'll have a look but I don't think I'd be able to do that from the inside because the beam is butted right up against it. I had a look from the ground outside and there seems to be 2 bolts sticking out next to each other. I wonder if they are attached to a plate? I think the beam is there to hold the extension together because they didn't join it to the old building. There's a crack where they meet and damp travels in there along the internal wall.
    I put all weather silicone in the gaps around the waste water pipes on the outside of the building & I'm not impressed with it because it pulled away from the wall. Is that because of the cold winter we had? So I was wondering what about if I got the wall replastered around the bolts, would that waterproof it? It's fairly bad - water runs down the internal wall underneath the beam. Sorry for the essay!

The silicone coming away could be many reasons.It could be because it did not grip. Because of too much dust or just shrinkage in the sun. The best silicone to use is a 100% silicone. an example of this would be white fireseal silicone or lead and gutter silicone black or grey. If you went to a trade counter like in chadwicks and explained you need a 100% silicone they might have it. Or you can phone evode industries and ask them who is there closest agent that does 100% silicone. It sounds a little more heavier than a diy job. Can you take any close up pictures of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭mrs.machine

Thanks for the info. I'll see if it rains over the next few days and then try to get a photo of it.

Thanks for the info. I'll see if it rains over the next few days and then try to get a photo of it.

You would really need a picture of outside where the bolt is as well.close up

• Advertisement
Advertisement