Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Oral guide

Options
  • 12-04-2010 9:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭

So, I (along with many other people) had their French Oral today. This is just a little guide I suppose to help those who still have yet to get it. You probably heard this all from your teachers already I suppose, but anyway...

Key topics to focus on
    • You and your family
    • Your School Subjects
    • What you plan to do after school (college etc)
    • Your past times
    • Your area and facilities
    • Your document (obviously)
    • Holidays (past and future)

Important thing is to keep talking, waffle on as long as possible. The examiner will do this weird thing with the tape recorder before you start. S/He'll literally SHOUT your name and exam number into it. Don't let it get to you, and focus, it's fine really.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 bongo13

Had it today too. Went surprisingly well I thought. They asked the exact same thing to me that Reckoner outlined (except I was asked a bit about my holidays as well) but if you want you can push the subject onto something else apparently. My examiner didn't ask me anything abstract at all. If you have any decent grasp of French at all you should be able to tackle any unexpected question to a reasonable standard anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Reckoner91

Yeah they asked me about my holidays too, forgot about that, added in.

Had mine today too! Time goes suprisingly fast. I was only asked my family, past times, what I want to do in college and my document.

My advice is to relax as it really isn't as scary as it seems. My examiner was really nice anyway. And don't be afraid to say you didn't understand, or to repeat the question, you won't be marked down for it unless you obviously don't understand it even when simplified a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

Another good tip is to mix up your choice of verbs. Don't keep saying "Je pense" when you can say "Je crois".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭straight_As

Ah fúck, decided not to do a document. No here with the document seems to have got an abstractor.

Feck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Reckoner91

kev9100 wrote: »
    Another good tip is to mix up your choice of verbs. Don't keep saying "Je pense" when you can say "Je crois".

Or "Je Trouve"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

Ah fúck, decided not to do a document. No here with the document seems to have got an abstractor.

Feck.

I'm not doing a document either. I find it too distracting tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 bongo13

So is it the case that if you don't have a document prepared they will ask you an abstract question? If so I didn't know that. And my teachers told me to prepare for both anyway..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Today I had a document, I put it on the table and he did the general conversation as normal. After 12 minutes (felt like 2!) he turned off the tape recorder and said 'C'est tout!' and forgot my document, realised what he did and turned on the tape recorder and did the document of me. He was a sound chap.

But the point is that he thought he was doing a general conversation with me, and I wasn't asked any abstract questions (but don't let that be a guide)

Advertisement