Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SEO Advice

Options
  • 12-04-2010 9:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭

i've only started doing website design again after years of avoiding it (not a big fan of it :rolleyes:).

Now i have a client who i have created a property website for and he wants it to rank number one in google(they all do) what advice would you give a newbie on this front to best optimise this bar adding good keywords in? :D

cost is not too much of a big factor either if there are legit companies i can pay for this service ;)

Comments

You need to learn the basics and build upon them constantly and adapt to the fast changing industry that it is. It's a very difficult thing to teach because a lot of it is down to testing and keeping your ears to the ground, SEO is the hardest thing to sell to clients because nobody understands it and in my limited experience(new to the industry, working for a leading company) PPC is instant and clients get it because you mention acronyms like ROI and that makes sense in their world i.e. if you put 5k in, you will get x amount back.

First thing you need to do is conduct an SEO audit, you need knowledge to do this. Then you need to set goals that you think you can achieve.
    Read blogs, especially the google ones, matt cutts, seoMoz, aaron walls site etc etc

Learn.

http://www.seomoz.org/blog/perfecting-keyword-targeting-on-page-optimization - this is a good start for your mind to mull over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭D.W

Anyway you can put the site url up here and get some feedback? If not feel free to PM me details and I'll have a look for you and revert with thoughts/suggestions if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭RedCardinal

i have created a property website for and he wants it to rank number one in google

That niche is worth millions of €. You generally have to invest a proportionate amount to the value of any given niche. Does your client have 5-6 figure-euro-amounts to invest in SEO? I'd say that's what's needed to rank #1 for generic property keywords (and in fact I'd say more likely 6-figures than 5).

If you want to learn SEO I'd advise not starting in one of the tougher niches out there. If you're into learning in the deep end then perhaps it might work out, but might also seriously backfire. Risk is extremely high that you'll never meet client expectations (he's daft anyway if he thinks he can achieve #1 rankings for property terms without investing massive amounts - never fails to amaze me how people expect to get massive returns with little or no investment...).

• Registered Users Posts: 37 caminowebmaster

It depends on what he want to rank number 1 for.

If in any way it is competing with daft and the areas they optimise for then it might be a very good idea to re-think the keywords.

Your post, to get good advice, could do with being a bit more specific re keywords - but i understand that is hard on a public forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 CristinaKailey

hi

First learn the basics of seo like

* What is SEO?
    * On Page Optimization
    * Off Page Optimization

Seo Training

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 thecandle

Firstly, I agree with RedCardinal that it's a very tough area (one of my clients is in real estate here in Australia), and very competitive meaning a fairly sizeable investment is necessary.
    It depends on what he want to rank number 1 for.

This is also very true. I'm going to assume for a minute that you want to rank for location based 'real estate' and 'property' searches eg. wicklow property'

Assuming that the property listings are database driven, what can happen frequently is that the property listing pages get indexed (sitemaps help), but the region pages higher up the chain are dynamic URLs that cannot be indexed, thus meaning you won't rank for location searches.

If you want to rank for regional seaches, the ensure you use a subfoler structure link this:

www.example.com/dublin/portmarnock/property1

rather than

www.example.com/xyz?city=dublin&suburb=portmarnock&propertyid=12415

• Registered Users Posts: 16 declanon

Get in touch with http://www.redflymarketing.com/ they provide SEO services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 francophile

Property / Real Estate is very competitive (and I should know).

To get top rankings you will need time, patience, budget and seo technical skills. Probably better to outsource but you will need a big bank balance.

Advertisement