Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is your favourite beach in Clare?

• 12-04-2010 9:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭

I drove to Lahinch with the smallies this week to kick off the summer. When we got there it was late in the afternoon and the tide had come in so they couldn't play there.
    As to not waste the car journey I put them back in the car and headed over to Spanish Point. When we got there the tide wasn't fully in, but was on it's way in so they got to play for an hour or so in the sand, which they loved.

All the time I was there I couldn't help thinking what other beaches are around Clare that I haven't been to that the kids would enjoy.

So folks, what is your favourite Clare beach, where is it and why is it your favourite?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

For unspoilt Atlantic beauty its gotta be Doughmore. Used be a nudey area at the northern end probably still is but its a big beach so plenty room for everyone.
    With the tide full in, there would still be loads of beach, great sand dunes as well for jumping off running down etc. Oh I wanna go there now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Went to Seafield (about 2 miles from Quilty) on Sunday, nice beach never too busy. White Strand near Doonbeg village is good too. Anywhere but Lahinch if you want a day away from the masses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Hawk Wing 2

Bishopsquarter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭Kilnababe

There is a lovely small beach near Linnanes pub in New Quay, great for kids and a fab walk along Galway Bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Lahinch is nice because of the waves (I don't surf though, I just like jumping into them), but it gets insanely busy.

Clahan (sp?) is class, it's years since I was there though. It's a great spot just for swimming and jumping in. Same with the Pollockholes in Kilkee. Though Kilkee tends to have a large proportion of visitors from Limerick....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

Spanish Point... can't beat it, one shop for ice cream, plenty of rocks for jumping and alot more sand than Lahinch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

kilkee tides always out you can go to the beach or the rock pools,:)

lahinch is tidal and covered in dog poo.....:mad:

should be called: dodge the dog poo :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭murphy125

Fanore is good but a bit rocky:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Ballygowan2L

murphy125 wrote: »
    Fanore is good but a bit rocky:D

Are ya mad tis like a lorry carryin a heap of boulders went off the road nd scattered its load down by de water!!! dont b complainin...sur a bit a rockyness never hurt anyone! sur i used de sand on dat beach for to make de concrete dat holds my house together...Up de rebels!! cant wait to revisit fenor causway...:)

lahinch is tidal and covered in dog poo.....:mad:

should be called: dodge the dog poo :mad:

I know wat ur sayin boy!! u wouldn see de likes of it in de real capital...WHAT DOGS!!!!.....jaysus tis like a herd of feckin elephants stampeeded across de place nd left a heap of shayte in their path... If i got a euro for everytime i stepped on a rugged dirty poo poo on dat god forsaken place id move my mobile up to clare , fenor preferrably, (jaysus tis a lovely spot!,)...as for the tides..jaysus dare super...lord god i love de place bt for dem dirty, scutterin excrements! Up de rebels!

• Advertisement

buck65 wrote: »
    Went to Seafield (about 2 miles from Quilty) on Sunday, nice beach never too busy. White Strand near Doonbeg village is good too. Anywhere but Lahinch if you want a day away from the masses.

Rite lad...jaysus, de smell back dare in dat miserable excuse for a beach is sometin cruel!! lord god de seaweed back dare is black!!...tis black!! its unnaturel i tell ya!! as for de beach itself...sur jaysus tis split into two just to torture everyone even more tinkin day have to visit both sides....and de prickily thorns in those sandy fields that ya have to park ur car in would crucify ya...dares no sense to dat place at all! finally as for the hills in dat place good god dare up and down like a whoors nickers!! nearly killed me ould self tryin to hike em to find a nice dirty hidin spot wit de missus..yup yup!! wat happened only a broken bottle got stuck into her... a broken bottle!! in de middle of a beach!! Twas sometin awful..dare was an awful rush to get to de hospital in ennis and me from cork not knowin where i was goin!! de bottles are de least of it mind u de amount of rubbish in dat dump is shockin!! wat a disaster of a holiday!! Id rather jump de elephant shayte in lahinch dan suffer de harsh realitys of seafield. Up de rebels boy!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Cushla

Chuileog wrote: »
    For unspoilt Atlantic beauty its gotta be Doughmore. Used be a nudey area at the northern end probably still is but its a big beach so plenty room for everyone.
    With the tide full in, there would still be loads of beach, great sand dunes as well for jumping off running down etc. Oh I wanna go there now!
    Where's this beach? I've heard of the rest of them. Would be nice to find a less busy one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭MikeyGorse

Cushla wrote: »
    Where's this beach? I've heard of the rest of them. Would be nice to find a less busy one.

Doonbeg.beside the golf course!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Bishopsquarter

Yep.

And Spanish Point and Fanore. Both quite crowded in summer. Endless golden sands at low tide, still some sands and rocks at high tide, especially in Fanore.
    Spanish Point has some interesting features, rockpools and such like, nice for kids.

Bishopsquarter is off the tourist track, just a few locals around, grey sands, a few rocks, but still some sands at high tide.

Google "tides" to check the best time.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭999/112

Galway tides. This tide table is apt for most of the beaches in Clare +/- a few mins.
    Favourite beach in Clare .... White Strand, Miltown Malbay. Very safe & has it's own dolphin!!!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

yes white strand on a sunny warm day cannot be beaten

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭dasium

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hawk Wing 2
    Bishopsquarter
    Yep.

And Spanish Point and Fanore. Both quite crowded in summer. Endless golden sands at low tide, still some sands and rocks at high tide, especially in Fanore.
    Spanish Point has some interesting features, rockpools and such like, nice for kids.

Bishopsquarter is off the tourist track, just a few locals around, grey sands, a few rocks, but still some sands at high tide.

Google "tides" to check the best time.

agree, it changes year to year, some really sandy other years loads of pepples... but lovely quite dunes and safe swimming.... in Ballyvaughan also there's the Rhine (out the Fanore side of village) a bit of the walk and no parking other than side of road but lovely walk and a lovely idyilic beach at the end....

• Registered Users Posts: 6 macker35

White Strand in Doonbeg is beautiful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭blueshark22

LadyTBolt wrote: »
    I drove to Lahinch with the smallies this week to kick off the summer. When we got there it was late in the afternoon and the tide had come in so they couldn't play there.
    As to not waste the car journey I put them back in the car and headed over to Spanish Point. When we got there the tide wasn't fully in, but was on it's way in so they got to play for an hour or so in the sand, which they loved.

All the time I was there I couldn't help thinking what other beaches are around Clare that I haven't been to that the kids would enjoy.

So folks, what is your favourite Clare beach, where is it and why is it your favourite?

you should have driven up the road towards lisdoon , at the first bridge just after the golf course you can go down there onto the sand , where the estuary comes out.

fav beach is spanish point , just love it there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Oh please please please be joking about Kilkee's tide always being out :D

FB links - http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/profile.php?id=100000678992237&ref=ts

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kilkee-Boat-Fishing-Club/300315309174?filter=1

http://www.diamondrockscafe.com/camera.html

FYI ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Benny Lava

Spanish Point!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Quilty for a nice beach, loads of room and not too many people, bring your own grub though and also allow for no toilet facilities (or facilities of any kind) so bring everything with you, just pick it up again after you please.
    It's not just dog sh*te in Lahinch, once saw a woman bury a nappy (!), yes, a feckin' NAPPY in the sand at Lahinch beach, seriously WTF is wrong with people?
    Sometimes don't mind Lahinch 'cause the Atlantic Hotel does nice food and I adore their silverware coffee pots, if not the coffee so much. But good prices and nice food.

This I think is a useful website for tides:
    http://magicseaweed.com/Lahinch-Surf-Report/52/

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭H1tmonlii

My dad lives in lahinch, hardly ever go down to the beach but its got some really good waves for surfing.
    We head down to the beach in Spanish Point some days after school before the bus comes...or else down to the shop for some Onion Rings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Tim M-U

Kilkee is ages away and always crowded. whitestrand is great though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Gotta love Spanish Point. Which is the one just south of Quilty? It might be White Strand but can't be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭drunken_munky52

MikeyGorse wrote: »
    Doonbeg.beside the golf course!

The beach is called "Doughmore" my the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Gotta love Spanish Point. Which is the one just south of Quilty? It might be White Strand but can't be sure.

Seafield is just South West of Quilty (2 beaches - Seafield North & Seafield South Beaches).

Doonbeg is a few miles further South of Seafield.

CiaranMT wrote: »

The 'White Strand' I think you're referring to is the one just North West of Doonbeg. There is another just a couple of miles North of Spanish Point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

which is the one with dusty the dolphin??

• Advertisement

fryup wrote: »
    which is the one with dusty the dolphin??

Well, it was White Strand, Miltown Malbay last year, but I heard recently she had moved up the coast to Fanore I think it was.

Advertisement