Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oil central heating ...consumption problem

• 12-04-2010 9:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭

On the 1st of December 2009 we have moved into a new house, ex show house, first tenants.
    On the first day in I've found out that the circulating water pump needed to be changed so it was replaced with a brand new one, so far so good.
    We are a family of two adults and two kids. So far I've filled it three times 500 liters each time. We only switch it on two hours in the morning and another two hours in the evening.
    I think this is way too much as consumption. Any thoughts, suggestions what might be wrong?

thanks,
    Zeppi

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Zeppi wrote: »
    On the 1st of December 2009 we have moved into a new house, ex show house, first tenants.
    On the first day in I've found out that the circulating water pump needed to be changed so it was replaced with a brand new one, so far so good.
    We are a family of two adults and two kids. So far I've filled it three times 500 liters each time. We only switch it on two hours in the morning and another two hours in the evening.
    I think this is way too much as consumption. Any thoughts, suggestions what might be wrong?

thanks,
    Zeppi
    I would get the oil line checked 1500 litres is too much for that time frame unless the house is huge. Is oil line checks out fine get a good reccomended oil burner service guy to check burner is set up with correct nozzle size etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Has to be a leak I still have around 100 liters left out of 1000 and I got it at the start of december, and it has been on nearly all day. If it was your burner it would have to be running seriously badly and you would have noticed..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭Zeppi

cheers mate,
    tomorrow I will call a guy to come and have a look and check what is wrong.

rgds
    zeppi

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭gorwanvfr

bryaner wrote: »
    Has to be a leak I still have around 100 liters left out of 1000 and I got it at the start of december, and it has been on nearly all day. If it was your burner it would have to be running seriously badly and you would have noticed..

Don't be so quick to say its a leak,
    We need more facts to make a call on it.
    What size is the house?
    What type of heating. Under floor or Rads.
    Is the house insulated (Just because its new means nothing)
    Why did the first circulating pump burn out so quickly? Is the new pump correctly sized?
    Is the boiler correctly sized? (Maybe it's too small and running its guts out)

gorwanvfr wrote: »
    What size is the house?
    Why did the first circulating pump burn out so quickly? Is the new pump correctly sized?

Leak

• Advertisement

What size is the house?

Also ex show house kinda gives you the size of the house

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭gorwanvfr

Well I have heard it all now
    “Also ex show house kinda gives you the size of the house”
    Didn’t realize that show houses could only come in one size??
    I will bow to you superior knowledge and retreat from this thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Hows that then?
    What size is the house?

Boiler maybe too big and is short cycling. How secure is tank, any chance of it being stolen?.

Size of property and form of heating is important information.

Well I have heard it all now
    “Also ex show house kinda gives you the size of the house”
    Didn’t realize that show houses could only come in one size??
    I will bow to you superior knowledge and retreat from this thread

Pretty easy really it's a show house!! for all the other houses in the estate, so it's more than likely a detached or semi detached in or around 1360 square feet
    Not rocket science..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Heating calculations can never be done on assumptions. To obtain accurate figures, correct data must be had first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭Zeppi

Hi All,
    First of all I would like to thank all of you for your input.
    The house is a fully detached 4 bedrroom, size is 1,335 sq feet. I had a plumber on site and no leakages were found but he said that the pressure of the burner was too low it was around 2% were it should be between 6% to 8%.
    Now today I've filled it with another 500ltrs and I will monitor it day by day.

finger crossed that the pressure was the problem, will keep you posted.

many thanks,
    zeppi

Advertisement