Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aiden McGeady, opinions on him?

• 12-04-2010 10:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭

Has he improved in the last few years? Does he need a move from Celtic to get better? Was he ever really that good?

I think he needs a move away from Scotland or he won't be tested enough properly. I think he needs the right manager though for sure. I don't think he currently warrants starting for Ireland as Duff and Hunt are more consistent for me.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

From what I've seen I like him, he extremely skillful without doubt, but his final ball can be poor alright. Still I think it's probably time for him to step up and move to the premiership, he could definitely succeed. He can't be that old yet can he?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Overrated and useless.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

It's painfully obvious he's too good for the SPL but he needs to move to a mid level PL team and prove he is good enough for that level.

If he stays at celtic he'll never get any better than he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Will run his heart out, has good pace. But final ball is almost universally poor, and can be easily put out of a game. Think he does need to step up to a bigger challenge, tbh. A team like Birmingham, Fulham, Stoke etc. would be perfect for him I reckon.

An unpolished stone IMO. Plenty of room for improvement. Will never be ''great'', but will always put his heart into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Is he actually too good for Celtic? He never stands out to me.
    He couldn't cross his legs for a start. He'll probably end up at Birmingham this summer, I'd be surprised if he does well but hope he does for Ireland's sake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Lots of ability and flair, no end product. Will he ever develop one good enough to play at a much higher level? I don't think so. I'd have Liam Lawrence over him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Honestly think though the manager would be hugely important. Would McLeish give him enough of a chance and encouragement do ya think?

Alot of his ilk of winger are hit and miss with end product but I certainly think there's potential there if it's moulded in the right way, without discouraging his natural game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

needs to get away from Celtic imo, and quickly.

In the early stages of the season i noticed that he seemed to lack any trust in his teammates, wouldnt let go of the ball for anyone or anything. Nowadays the only pass he looks for is Robbie Keane.

He is a skillful player, but i think he's a little too big for his boots at celtic right now and is suffering a little from "Barry Ferguson Syndrome" whereby he thinks he is the only one on the team with any ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

Put Aiden behind a striker (free) and he'd flourish. In my mind he needs a move to the continent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,427 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Get out of Scotland asap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Never rated him tbh,reckon if he were to come to the Premiership it's be a Stoke,Blackburn,or a promoted team.Hasnt impressed enough for Ireland either.He's probably too good to not have in the squad but wouldnt be in my startin XI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

He has some talent. Wasted years in the SPL when he should have been in the premiership trying to get better. 24 now, will need to go somewhere and prove his worth in the hopes of getting to a CL club maybe when he's 28-29. Shoulda left after the 2007-2008 season.

Needs a top class manager to get the best out of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Kingdom wrote: »
    Put Aiden behind a striker (free) and he'd flourish. In my mind he needs a move to the continent.

too true. he's quite light and while I think he has the technical ability to make it in the Premiership he would be muscled off the ball easily by most Premiership defenders. On the Continent he would get more protection from referees and would be able to showcase his abilities.

Seems as though McLeish is eager for him to join Birmingham which would certainly be a step up from the SPL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The Irish Nani.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

His game seeme to me to be too often lacking in an end product.

Needs to get out of the Ryman's League for a start anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

I don't think his end product is of premiership standard, well top half of the Prem anyway. He frustrates the life out of you with productive runs down the wing but the cross is all too often poor. Thinks he's better than he is which is a irritating attribute in a footballer.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Having only seen him play for Ireland, I've never understood the fuss about him really. Shows the odd flashes of brilliance.

Few people said he seems a bit arrogant about his ability, sounds like he needs a proper manager to slap some sense into him if that's the case.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Rekop dog wrote: »
    I don't think his end product is of premiership standard, well top half of the Prem anyway. He frustrates the life out of you with productive runs down the wing but the cross is all too often poor. Thinks he's better than he is which is a irritating attribute in a footballer.

i presume you have something other than gut feeling to back this up with?

His end product has improved in the last couple of seasons but the strikers in front of him have been rubbish so don't really help much...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Liam O wrote: »
    i presume you have something other than gut feeling to back this up with?

Very obvious in his ‘style' of play. All too often he'll go past a player, double back and go by him again, throw in some ridiculous, out of place piece of skill and then not even clear the first defender with a cross.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

ziggy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

No problem Ziggy

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/8615887.stm
    :pac:

Glazers Out!

nullzero wrote: »

Meh! Since he joined celtic theyve went out of both cups and fell further behind in the league.

Heres what you could've won Robbie!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Eirebear wrote: »
    Meh! Since he joined celtic theyve went out of both cups and fell further behind in the league.

All very true.
    Celtic haven't been at the races, I was just being a smart arse.

Glazers Out!

nullzero wrote: »
    All very true.
    Celtic haven't been at the races, I was just being a smart arse.

Ah i know, just messing around myself.

I'm with Ziggy though, its hard to take sometimes given the complete lack of knowledge about Scottish football on this forum, from a bunch of people who support a foreign league and find it strangely easy to look down their noses at everything Scottish football related.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Eirebear wrote: »

Had some Scottish cousins over there all mad about him complained tho that he gets no service but they love him, they certainly didn't think the blame was on him for not producing. Thats just an observation I made off topic sorry.

Had some Scottish cousins over there all mad about him complained tho that he gets no service but they love him, they certainly didn't think the blame was on him for not producing. Thats just an observation I made off topic sorry.

Nah, hes a quality player alright, but i think he's got to take his share of the blame too.

TBH, Celtic should never have brought him in this season...i still dont get the reasoning behind it.

Anyway...sorry lads, ill stay on topic now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Strachan wasn't his biggest fan was he they didn't get along much he throws in the odd exceptional goal here and there tho I can't really comment tho because I see very little of him.

Strachan wasn't his biggest fan was he they didn't get along much he throws in the odd exceptional goal here and there tho I can't really comment tho because I see very little of him.

As i mentioned ealrier, he seems to have it in his head that he's the only player with the ability to do anything at Celtic, and as such will run himself into blind alleys rather than pass the ball.

I do agree he needs a move for that reason. Not sure Birmingham would be right for him though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Strachan got himself and Maloney to POTY/YPOTY awards, he certainly knew how to get the best out of him.

He lack end product, he also dwells on the ball too long when he's running at players. Whilst he's playing mind games with defenders, his team mates are getting into good defensive positions to deal with any cross or pass to the strikers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Ush1 wrote: »
    Has he improved in the last few years? Does he need a move from Celtic to get better? Was he ever really that good?

I think he needs a move away from Scotland or he won't be tested enough properly. I think he needs the right manager though for sure. I don't think he currently warrants starting for Ireland as Duff and Hunt are more consistent for me.

Needs away from Celtic, think he's bored there tbh. To answer your first question, I don't think he's improved over the last couple of seasons - that's half the problem.

He's a skillful player there's no doubt. Tends to hold on to the ball for too long, needs to read the game better and pick better opportunities to pass. It would be good to see him with better team-mates around him rather than the current crop at Celtic.

I do think he's a bit petulant at times and I'd imagine he'd be a challenge for any manager. Maybe a move to the Premier League would be a wake up call - the danger for me is if he moves to a bottom half table club he may never develop. If he wasn't going to move to the likes of City, Villa, Everton, Spurs, Liverpool etc., I think he'd be better off in Scotland tbh.

As far as Ireland goes, I think he definitely lacks confidence. I'm certain he'd be great for Ireland - he just needs a couple of really good games and maybe a goal to boost his confidence. I also don't think the rest of the team have much confidence in him, maybe I'm biased there though.

I'd be sorry to see him leave Celtic personally but I expect he will as he's at that point in his career where he has to move on to develop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Strange thread!

Some here are talking like McGeady is running riot in the SPL - saying stuff like he's "wasted there" or he "needs to move to improve" - as if he was even up to SPL standards never mind being too good for them! I mean, he can't even shine in one of the only two decent teams the SPL has!

I don't rate him one bit and I think the SPL is more than his level!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

too true. he's quite light and while I think he has the technical ability to make it in the Premiership he would be muscled off the ball easily by most Premiership defenders. On the Continent he would get more protection from referees and would be able to showcase his abilities.

Seems as though McLeish is eager for him to join Birmingham which would certainly be a step up from the SPL.

Unlike those shrinking violets in Scotland. :rolleyes:

By a country mile the most technically gifted Irish player since Brady but hasn't performed to a fraction of his ability for Ireland yet, which at this point is worrying. Seems to have gone a bit stale this season, but he is by no means the worst offender at Celtic.

Depending who gets the Celtic gig will have a big say in determining if he moves or not. The idea that he would move to Stoke or Birmingham is laughable at a number of levels, financially it would he a huge move backwards.

It is interesting that his loyalty to his hometown club is considered a bad thing by the English fans on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

I've never rated Macgeady and never under stood the hype with him either. I think the SPL & Celtic is about as good as it will get from and his his level. If he was good as everyone says he would be have being snapped up a few seasons ago.

Vanbis wrote: »
    I've never rated Macgeady and never under stood the hype with him either. I think the SPL & Celtic is about as good as it will get from and his his level. If he was good as everyone says he would be have being snapped up a few seasons ago.

By who? Stoke? Get real. He is on big money at a big club and has made it clear he will only move for the right club.

There have been numerous bids for him that Celtic turned down, Valencia was a noteable one.

This is the same ole ole brigade arrogance. There is a world outside of England and some players in that world are quite good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭veXual

Big fish, small pond. Move to the premier league would show how good of a player is actually is IMO

• Advertisement

By who? Stoke? Get real. He is on big money at a big club and has made it clear he will only move for the right club.
    Did i say Stoke, a big club like the top 6 in england. If he is on big money at Celtic more fool them.
    There have been numerous bids for him that Celtic turned down, Valencia was a noteable one.

Oh how i have laughed :)

veXual wrote: »
    Big fish, small pond. Move to the premier league would show how good of a player is actually is IMO

You could say the same about Rooney. He won't be remembered as world class unless he tests himself in a top league like Spain.

So by your logic he should leave Man United and move to Getafe to show he can step up?

You could say the same about Rooney. He won't be remembered as world class unless he tests himself in a top league like Spain.

Rubbish.

Your opinion is La Liga is better then Premier League and many others would disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

The Irish Nani.

istockphoto_2634771-hitting-a-nail-on-the-head.jpg

Rubbish.

Your opinion is La Liga is better then Premier League and many others would disagree.

And your opinion is that going to a club outside the top six in the English premier division is a good move from a club like Celtic if you are in McGeady's position. Many others would disagree.

What is being argued here is that a big earner like McGeady should leave the biggest club in a country to move for a paycut to relegation fodder in a better league to 'prove himself'.

So lets follow that logic through. Rooney should move to Getafe to show he can do it in what is undoubtably a better league in the Spanish one.

Unless this is the same old tired 'English football is deadly, the rest of the world is rubbish' threads that pollute this place.

• Advertisement

What is being argued here is that a big earner like McGeady should leave the biggest club in a country to move for a paycut to relegation fodder in a better league to 'prove himself'.

Why should he settle for a relegation club? I said a top 6 club never mentioned a relegation club. The SPL is of shocking standard and everyone knows it.
    So lets follow that logic through. Rooney should move to Getafe to show he can do it in what is undoubtably a better league in the Spanish one.

Why would Rooney move when he is playing for one the biggest clubs in the world challenging on all fronts every season and playing Champions League football? Its doesnt get much better.

Sorry but Rooney has nothing to prove, Mcgeady on the otherhand does. Lee Naylor at Celtic, rubbish player and at one point people said he should be in the england squad :rolleyes:

Whats McGeady earning at Celtic?

TBH i'm fairly sure most clubs in the premiership could offer him more. That said, i really dont think Blackburn is the type of club he should be looking at given the amount of time they spend on the backfoot, he would be a luxury they didnt need.

Why would Rooney move when he is playing for one the biggest clubs in the world challenging on all fronts every season and playing Champions League football? Its doesnt get much better.:

So is McGeady (admittedly not this season).....
    Sorry but Rooney has nothing to prove, Mcgeady on the otherhand does. Lee Naylor at Celtic, rubbish player and at one point people said he should be in the england squad :rolleyes:

That says more about the dire standard of the English fringe players than Celtic.

This debate seems to continue to go back to this inane idea that a player hasn't 'made it' till he plays kick and chase football in England.

Rubbish.

They're very silly boys and girls though.

This debate seems to continue to go back to this inane idea that a player hasn't 'made it' till he plays kick and chase football in England.

I don't agree with that either but the standard of SPL has being in decline for some years. Mcgready if given the chance should move to England, Spain or Germany. The likes of Spurs, Villa may be interested but my opinion will not change that is over rated and over hyped.

I don't agree with that either but the standard of SPL has being in decline for some years. Mcgready if given the chance should move to England, Spain or Germany. The likes of Spurs, Villa may be interested but my opinion will not change that is over rated and over hyped.
    With Young, Milner, Downing to call their wingers, I think Villa would be the least interested of all the Premiership teams.

CSF wrote: »
    With Young, Milner, Downing to call their wingers, I think Villa would be the least interested of all the Premiership teams.

I did say may be interested but i doubt it myself :rolleyes:

So an 'over rated and over hyped' player should join an over rated and over hyped league? Makes sense to you no doubt.

The SPL is in decline, but done kid yourself that England is any different.

There was a time when one team career players were considered to be a good thing by football fans. I blame bebo.

So an 'over rated and over hyped' player should join an over rated and over hyped league? Makes sense to you no doubt.

Over hyped player. FFS its a better standard then the SPL always has always will.
    The SPL is in decline, but done kid yourself that England is any different.

I think its you that is kidding yourself, but keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better. I've heard the same crap for years.

The OP asked for opinions on Mcgeady and i gave mine that he is over rated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Lee Naylor at Celtic, rubbish player and at one point people said he should be in the england squad

He was exceptional in his first season at Celtic and those claims were merited

• Advertisement
Advertisement