Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aiden McGeady, opinions on him?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Dempsey wrote: »
    He was exceptional in his first season at Celtic and those claims were merited

Never good enough for an England call up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Vanbis wrote: »

Did you watch him in his first season at Celtic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Good enough at the time to be considered as a squad player. England have notoriously poor fullbacks and why not think outside the constraints of the top 4 in Engerland?

You sound like a right little Englander - all foreign players are muck.

Did you watch him in his first season at Celtic?

Yes and i use to go over for alot of the games but the standard was so poor at times it was soul destroying. The calls for Naylor for an England up was laughable. I only read the other day a former player said it himself that Naylor was one of the worst signing he has seeing in his time.

The topic is about Mcgeady not Naylor.

Over hyped player. FFS its a better standard then the SPL always has always will..

Wow. A country of 60m has a better leage then a country of 5m. Next you will be telling us you saw a bear heading into a forest with a roll of andrex.

The point here, and well you know it, is that Celtic are a huge club and one of their top players isn't likely to leave a club where he wins and plays in Europe to slog it out in the mud in some post industrial northern English hell hole to 'prove' anything to anyone for the exact same reason Rooney isn't leaving for Spain.

I think its you that is kidding yourself, but keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better. I've heard the same crap for years..

You are on a different planet if you can't see the decline in standard in English football over the past season or two.
    The OP asked for opinions on Mcgeady and i gave mine that he is over rated.

And I have seen him on hundreds of occasions and believe him to be our most technically gifted player Ireland have had since Brady, although his final ball has not improved as much as it should, his technique is superb.

You sound like a right little Englander - all foreign players are muck.

FFS :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I'm not overly impressed with him. Very good running at players, good change of pace but terrible, terrible passing in the final third, inconsistent crossing, doesn't look up soon enough and makes the wrong choice 50% of the time.

He has/had potential but I am not sure he'll live up to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

My opinion of him is that he has lots of little tricks for getting out of tight situations but too often his final ball is disappointing.

Also he doesn't kick the ball truely. A bit like Heskey at Villa. He flaps at the ball with his foot.

This season he has been very disappointing. Where Celtic might have hoped to get 7/8m at the start of the season I think they might struggle to get 4m now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Look how sh1t Shaun Maloney was when he joined Villa and all the hype there was in Scotland about how good he was.

Where is he now??

Oh yeah, back at Celtic!!

• Advertisement

Wow. A country of 60m has a better leage then a country of 5m. Next you will be telling us you saw a bear heading into a forest with a roll of andrex.

nah just you chasing a bear with a roll of andrex :p
    The point here, and well you know it, is that Celtic are a huge club and one of their top players isn't likely to leave a club where he wins and plays in Europe to slog it out in the mud in some post industrial northern English hell hole to 'prove' anything to anyone for the exact same reason Rooney isn't leaving for Spain.

First of all i never said Celtic were a small club that is your interpertation from mis-reading my post. And secondly i never said he had anything to prove. The OP asked for opinions on Mcgeady and i gave mine end off. He never asked about Naylor either.

Esse85 wrote: »
    Look how sh1t Shaun Maloney was when he joined Villa and all the hype there was in Scotland about how good he was.

Where is he now??

He was excellent the season before but it all went to his head. He said he realised he made a big mistake about one week after his joined Villa. He gets injured getting off the physio table at the moment though. Always was injury prone.

Also, it took Petrov a long time to settle at Villa. People were quick to jump on him at first but you dont hear anything from them now.

EDIT

Vanbis, you brought up Naylor so people are commenting on him because of your remarks.

Where is he now??

Malhoney made a mistake and knew straight away, he never got a chance at Villa either to prove himself, not that he had anything to prove.
    Vanbis, you brought up Naylor so people are commenting on him because of your remarks.

Ok fairenough. My opinion wont change, still over rated.

Pretty average tbh.

One thing's for certain, his game won't improve until he gets out of the SPL which is as bad as it ever was.

Might be ok at a mid-table team? (in the LOI)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Where is he now??

Not getting a game for Celtic!
    nah just you chasing a bear with a roll of andrex

Very little chance of him chasing a bear. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I think everyone agrees that he has lots of natural ability but has, so far, failed to realise his potential. Calling him the Irish Nani isn't too far off the mark in fairness.

But I think if a good man manager in the Premier league was in need of a winger/atacking midfielder, he'd be well worth a punt. With a couple of poor seasons behind him, it wouldn't cost as much as before to get him. He'd come to England with a point to prove. If managed the right way, he could turn into the star we all hoped he'd be over the course of a couple of seasons.

• Advertisement

Malhoney made a mistake and knew straight away, he never got a chance at Villa either to prove himself, not that he had anything to prove.

Ok fairenough. My opinion wont change, still over rated.
    He did get a chance, he simple wasnt good enough to take it.

He had everything to prove, he left a mediocre league to join one of the best leagues in the world and he failed miserably.

Couldnt hack it in the EPL, claimed he was "homesick" FFS anyone would think he was from South America the way he was whinging.

Couldnt hack it in the EPL, claimed he was "homesick" FFS anyone would think he was from South America the way he was whinging.

Lol'd :)

some players just get to a certain comfort zone and don't like change. He was probably beaten before he left Celtic.

He did get a chance, he simple wasnt good enough to take it.

He had everything to prove, he left a mediocre league to join one of the best leagues in the world and he failed miserably.

He was born in Malaysia though :pac:

I've had to relocate for work around Ireland myself and I can sympathize with him not settling into an area. Living out of a suitcase isnt for everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Average player who looks good in an awful league.

He was born in Malaysia though :pac:

I've had to relocate for work around Ireland myself and I can sympathize with him not settling into an area. Living out of a suitcase isnt for everyone.
    I bet your not a millionaire and weren't earning €30,000 a week though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

Until he plays at a higher level any judgement is speculation at this point.

Hasn't done it at international level which would be a worry. Also his crossing needs work.

I bet your not a millionaire and weren't earning €30,000 a week though.

I wish. A pay rise wouldnt have made me settle though and Maloney didnt move for money. Money cant replace the fact that friends and family aren't in your everyday life anymore and its even worse when you have to stay sober in a place like Birmingham! :pac:

I wish. A pay rise wouldnt have made me settle though and Maloney didnt move for money. Money cant replace the fact that friends and family aren't in your everyday life anymore and its even worse when you have to stay sober in a place like Birmingham! :pac:
    But money and lots of it means he can be with friends/family within a few hours. Its not like he cant afford to fly back to Scotland or he cant afford to fly his friends over to see him like a normal working class person would struggle to. Claiming to be homesick was a poor excuse to make, he should of just owned up to the fact that he wasnt good enough to play in that league and he wasnt prepared to stay and work harder to improve. Instead he took the easy option and choose to go back to the poor standard league he came from.

And lots of the Villa players dont actually live in Birmingham!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

And I have seen him on hundreds of occasions and believe him to be our most technically gifted player Ireland have had since Brady, although his final ball has not improved as much as it should, his technique is superb.

I couldn't disagree more. Just because he has a few tricks that work in Scotland does not mean his technique is superb. They rarely work for Ireland, in fact he rarely beats his first man. Whenever he does he hits a godawful attempt at a cross or pass. His passing (both short and long range) is abysmal. The amount of times for Ireland that he loses the ball is ridiculous.

The difference between Scotland and top-level international football (Or Premier League, Spain, last 8 Champions league etc) is that players do not get so many opportunities. Against mediocre teams in Scotland he gets countless opportunities to make runs, cross etc. I understand creative players tend to make higher risk moves, but his output is shocking. His brutal last minute free kick against France in Paris is a good example of what he does when he has one chance. His Irish career is a history of mistakes, bad balls and mis-hit shots.

When he gets more limited opportunities for Ireland, he is shown up for what he is, an average player in a below average league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Strange thread!

Some here are talking like McGeady is running riot in the SPL - saying stuff like he's "wasted there" or he "needs to move to improve" - as if he was even up to SPL standards never mind being too good for them! I mean, he can't even shine in one of the only two decent teams the SPL has!

I don't rate him one bit and I think the SPL is more than his level!
    I agree with that. Why would any club buy someone who's very average in the SPL? If he can't motivate himself at Celtic, why would a club take a €4-5m gamble that he can motivate himself against better opposition? This is a player that Ross County comfortably defended against.
    Why should he settle for a relegation club? I said a top 6 club never mentioned a relegation club. The SPL is of shocking standard and everyone knows it.
    I think you're over rating him if you think a top 6 premiership club would want him. He'd struggle to get into a top 6 League of Ireland team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭odonnell

The Irish Nani.

more like a Scottish fanny.

Dont rate him and never thought he was too good for Celtic. Its too easy to look at a player with some talent, as he has, and say he should be moving up a level to improve when in reality (and this is my opinion) - if he isnt setting the heather alight at Celtic like Keano IS, then what evidence is there to suggest he could do it at a higher level?

Youre generally meant to shine at a lower level to spark interest at a higher one. At best I think he could add a little bit of cutting edge for a team like Stoke etc, but it would certainly take a manager of McCliesh's ilk to get the best from him...so Birmingham might not be a bad move.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Paparazzo wrote: »
    He'd struggle to get into a top 6 League of Ireland team

Lol, this thread gets better and better.

(That was LOL by the way)

I think you're over rating him if you think a top 6 premiership club would want him. He'd struggle to get into a top 6 League of Ireland team

I dont rate him, i think he is over rated and over hyped. I said a top 6 team may be interested but i really don't think he would improve the likes of Villa, Spurs or Everton.

PauloMN wrote: »
    Lol, this thread gets better and better.

(That was LOL by the way)

What can you do?

He isn't on Sky therefore he must be rubbish. Thats the way its going with these krazy kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭odonnell

What can you do?

He isn't on Sky therefore he must be rubbish. Thats the way its going with these krazy kids.

he will be judged in time, as all good players are these days, by how good a signing he is on the next Football Manager :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Catenaccio!

nkay1985 wrote: »
    I think everyone agrees that he has lots of natural ability but has, so far, failed to realise his potential. Calling him the Irish Nani isn't too far off the mark in fairness.

But I think if a good man manager in the Premier league was in need of a winger/atacking midfielder, he'd be well worth a punt. With a couple of poor seasons behind him, it wouldn't cost as much as before to get him. He'd come to England with a point to prove. If managed the right way, he could turn into the star we all hoped he'd be over the course of a couple of seasons.

No, I don't agree that he has natural ability. I think he's a poor footballer who has never given any indication that he's in any way good. I always find it hilarious to see him 'trick' some poor Scottish defender. Remember seeing him try to fool the Ross County RB, quite a trick that was.

Absolutely hate to see him on the Irish team (hate most of that team but anyways).

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I'd say we'd take him as a backup player ;)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

No, I don't agree that he has natural ability. I think he's a poor footballer who has never given any indication that he's in any way good. I always find it hilarious to see him 'trick' some poor Scottish defender. Remember seeing him try to fool the Ross County RB, quite a trick that was.

Absolutely hate to see him on the Irish team (hate most of that team but anyways).

Maybe you should go look at the videos of him at underage which prompted Alex Ferguson to try and sign him. He clearly has shown natural ability but he hasnt improved significantly beyond what he showed when he first broke onto the scene.

Strachan made him improve by dropping him etc but eventually McGeady snapped back (2 week fine + suspension) which shows that he wont improve unless his attitude changes. Tommy Burns shielded him from the real world for too long imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Catenaccio!

Maybe I'll use my time to check out some better football. Ferguson has made a few mistakes in the past you know.

Maybe you should go look at the videos of him at underage which prompted Alex Ferguson to try and sign him. He clearly has shown natural ability but he hasnt improved significantly beyond what he showed when he first broke onto the scene.

Ah the one that got way? Not. If he did sign for Manutd who is to say he would have made the grade?

Ah the one that got way? Not. If he did sign for Manutd who is to say he would have made the grade?

He turned down United for Celtic

I'm not saying that he would have done better if he joined United or not, thats not my point and you've gone off on a tangent, again!
    Maybe I'll use my time to check out some better football. Ferguson has made a few mistakes in the past you know.

He still knows more about football and player potential than most people

He turned down United for Celtic

I'm not saying that he would have done better if he joined United or not, thats not my point and

I know you didnt say that. I said fergie probably thinks he wa lucky he missed out, since he came on to the scene he has not improved and also seems to some issues that at Celtic resulting in fines and bans.
    you've gone off on a tangent, again!

Eh....ok :rolleyes:

This thread really is demeaning.

If I was to try and figure out whether a player I didn't get to see much was good, bad or indifferent and the fans of the club he plays for were of unison in an opinion, generally I wouldn't be arrogant enough to tell them they are all wrong.

Unlike some on here.

He has made the 'grade' ffs. International player, scored in the Champions League, drawer full of medals, millionaire. And still in his early 20's. Paolo Maldini made a point of swapping shirts with him and said he was the most prodigious teenager he had ever played against.

But because Andy Gray hasn't told you he is brilliant, you dismiss him out of hand.

• Advertisement

But because Andy Gray hasn't told you he is brilliant, you dismiss him out of hand.

Ah FFS, your taking p*ss now. I value his opinion as much as i do your opinion.

I have seeing Mcgeady play enough times to form my own opinion yes my own opinion :) to believe he is over rated and over hyped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Only Celtic fans think Aiden McGeady is a good footballer, go figure.

Davei141 wrote: »

Care to back up that statement? The ignorance in this thread is incredible tbh

Care to back up that statement? The ignorance in this thread is incredible tbh

Mind boggling.

Lets be honest Mcgeady is playing for a massive club in Celtic, champions league football almost every season and fans who idolize him.

Mind boggling.

Lets be honest Mcgeady is playing for a massive club in Celtic, champions league football almost every season and fans who idolize him.

Maybe you should sign up to a Celtic forum and ask them for an assessment on McGeady.

Davei141 wrote: »

And who sees most of him....

I haven't made my mind up about, lets say for example, Darren Gibson. If all the Man U fans said the exact same thing about him on here, I would tend to accept their anaylisis on the basis they see the most of him and hear the gossip.

It would be stupendious arrogance to decide they were all wrong, wouldn't it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

I think McGeady is nowhere near as popular with the Celtic support as he has been in the past. The guy started the season brightly but then just fell away, he hasn't kicked a ball since last about November. McGeady was always going to be the darling of the Celtic support, he shunned the country of his birth to declare for the Republic. This was always going to be a very popular move among the Celtic faithful because as we know there is a large proportion of the support that consider themselves "Oirish". McGeady may have dined out on this for a while, but the Celtic fans are becoming increasingly frustrated with his poor performances and I think many of them would be delighted to get 8m for him in their current circumstances. Another poor season for McGeady and his stock will fall. The guy has amazing feet and balance, of this there is no question, but he is just not a very intelligent player. He does not know when to use his teamates. He needs to develop this part of his game and fast. Its not that he needs to improve, he just doesn't have an end product. He is reputed to have an attitute problem also, he thinks hes God's gift when in fact he is far from it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Brewster wrote: »
    he shunned the country of his birth to declare for the Republic. This was always going to be a very popular move among the Celtic faithful because as we know there is a large proportion of the support that consider themselves "Oirish".

Sorry Brewster, that's absolute crap and you need to be pulled up on it. He didn't "shun" his country. You should maybe expand your media references beyond red tops, especially Scottish ones.

http://www.aidenmcgeadyofficialwebsite.com/autobiography%20entry/18104.IRISH%20INTERNATIONAL

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Paul, its not crap, McGeady would be a Scottish International by now. He did shun the country of his birth, the same way as many Irish Internationals have done over the years with England being the country in question most often. This may be considered too blunt and to do the point for some people, but I believe it to be case. Except in McGeady's case he would have been good enough to get capped by Scotland, he didn't have to chose Ireland. It came down to a choice between Scotland and Ireland, and he chose Ireland, in my eyes that is considered "shunning"

Paul, its not crap, McGeady would be a Scottish International by now. He did shun the country of his birth, the same way as many Irish Internationals have done over the years with England being the country in question most often. This may be considered too blunt and to do the point for some people, but I believe it to be case. Except in McGeady's case he would have been good enough to get capped by Scotland, he didn't have to chose Ireland. It came down to a choice between Scotland and Ireland, and he chose Ireland, in my eyes that is considered "shunning"

Celtic has a policy of not permitting their youths to play for their school teams due to conflicts.

Scotland had a rule which would not permit a player who did not play for their school team to be considered for a call-up to Scotland Schools selects

McGeady didnt shun Scotland, they wouldnt select him and Packie Bonner invited him to play for the u15's

McGeady was then named later in a Scotland under-16 squad, but he declined citing his experience of the Irish set up and his preference to remain there.

Scotland fumbled, Ireland took advantage

You've nailed your colours to the wall mate. Funny how "shunning your country" never comes into it with Houghton, Aldo etc.. If people qualify to play for a country, and by a matter of circumstance, or feeling more of a connection with that country over where they were physically born, or a combination of both, then fair play to them in my book.

It's always an issue when you are born somewhere different to you parents/grand-parents, and especially in a ****hole like Scotland where people are obsessed with background and religion and treating you differently based on those things.

• Advertisement
Advertisement