Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aiden McGeady, opinions on him?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

I said it my post about the past Irish Internationals Paul? Many of them decided to declare for Republic when they didnt get a call up by England. Jamie O Hara admitted as much recently. They went onto have fabulous careers for the Republic but it may have been different. I was never a fan of granny rule, but thats just me. It didnt stop me celebrating some great moments as an Irish fan under Jack. I would not go beyond one generation as a general rule. As i say, this may be too blunt for some people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Brewster wrote: »
    I think McGeady is nowhere near as popular with the Celtic support as he has been in the past. The guy started the season brightly but then just fell away, he hasn't kicked a ball since last about November. McGeady was always going to be the darling of the Celtic support, he shunned the country of his birth to declare for the Republic. This was always going to be a very popular move among the Celtic faithful because as we know there is a large proportion of the support that consider themselves "Oirish".

Why do you feel the need to insult celtic fans by usinsg that term?

Coillte_bhoy

This thread is not about Celtic fans. The thread is about McGeady the player.

I stand by my claims that McGeady could have been capped by Scotland had he chosen to play for them.

I also stand by my claims that he is a more popular player among the Celtic support having declared for Republic over Scotland.

Some will agree with me, others wont, but those are my views.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

A while ago you were saying that McGeady shunned Scotland like it was a universal fact, now you are saying that its your opinion, an opinion which is wrong given the facts of the matter.

You have no evidence to support your other claim either. I read alot of Celtic supporter opinions and most either believe in pro choice in the case of dual nationality or believe he was wrong not to wait for Scotland. I cant remember opinions of those who think better of him for choosing Ireland, which makes them a very small minority.

Coillte_bhoy

This thread is not about Celtic fans. The thread is about McGeady the player.

I stand by my claims that McGeady could have been capped by Scotland had he chosen to play for them.

I also stand by my claims that he is a more popular player among the Celtic support having declared for Republic over Scotland.

Some will agree with me, others wont, but those are my views.

Indeed it is not about Celtic fans so why do you feel the need to have a cheap dug at them with the 'Oirish' jibe????

Of course he would have been capped by Scotland. Thats universally accepted i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭odonnell

PauloMN wrote: »
    You've nailed your colours to the wall mate. Funny how "shunning your country" never comes into it with Houghton, Aldo etc.. If people qualify to play for a country, and by a matter of circumstance, or feeling more of a connection with that country over where they were physically born, or a combination of both, then fair play to them in my book.

It's always an issue when you are born somewhere different to you parents/grand-parents, and especially in a ****hole like Scotland where people are obsessed with background and religion and treating you differently based on those things.

Er, Careful there mate... dont be calling Scotland ANY names k? I happen to believe the same as Brewster as do a great majority of the Scottish footbal fanbase, so... whilst for the sake of conversation its all very well to disagree - dont go pulling someone up, saying hes nailed his colours to the wall when in actual fact its the majority opinion in the ****hole of Scotland.

we normally get good craic like, but thats bang out of order buddy. I could say the same for Ireland where I got into punchups in the queue at dunnes for having a "British" accent ...etc - pot, kettle... lets keep it all nice and clever from now on.

On the subject of playing for your national side: my opinion on this is that a player simply should play for that country of his birth and of his residence. McGeady is the latest player of our generation (so probably the most noteable amongst my age group) to have elected to play for a country he was never born in nor ever lived in. He was born in Scotland, raised by Scots, in Scotland...schooled in Scotland, treated in Scotland, brought through the Scottish footballing ranks with Celtic and he elected to play for a country not his own. Its not a matter of sectarianism nor is it bigotry - maybe a touch of patriotism but for me its purism. Scots should play for Scotland, Irish - Ireland etc.

He elected to play for a country not his own and to me, same as brewster....thats equal to shunning your own country. No colours, no walls....

Its simple, if i had English grandparents and I was invited to play for England having been born and reared in Dublin all my life and I decided to play for England, this would be akin to shunning Ireland the country of my birth in my opinion.

This is what McGeady did as far as I am concerned. I do believe I am fully entitled to use expression that he shunned Scotland.

Its simple, if i had English grandparents and I was invited to play for England having been born and reared in Dublin all my life and I decided to play for England, this would be akin to shunning Ireland the country of my birth in my opinion.

This is what McGeady did as far as I am concerned. I do believe I am fully entitled to use expression that he shunned Scotland.

you are, many many Scottish people who dont give a damn about religion would agree with you.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

odonnell wrote: »
    we normally get good craic like, but thats bang out of order buddy. I could say the same for Ireland where I got into punchups in the queue at dunnes for having a "British" accent ...etc - pot, kettle... lets keep it all nice and clever from now on.

Work away, I've no problem if you call Ireland a ****hole. I wouldn't disagree with you in any case. But I can call Scotland what I want and neither you nor anyone else can tell me to do otherwise. I have Scottish blood, I've spent many holidays there as a young lad, and I've a large extended family there.

My point is that a sizeable portion of Scotland has a bit of a problem with sectarianism. You know as well as I do that if McGeady had qualified and opted to play for some other far off country it would not be as much of an issue as it is with Ireland. The fans of your favourite club are testament to that. "Go Home" etc..

Personally I feel you are wrong to look at this in such a black and white manner. Peoples' situations and circumstances are not simply black and white. It's not a binary thing of either shunning or not shunning - to have such a simple view on things is very narrow-minded imo. Had circumstances been different, he might very well be playing for Scotland.

O Donnell, they would not have to be from Scotland!! Present the facts to a person of any nationality around the world and they would say the same thing. You can dress things up anyway you like, but facts of matter are he choose not to play for Scotland and if this is not shunning Scotland, I don't know what is.

Now that he is playing for Ireland, I wish he would develop as a player, because we need every good player available to us to perform to qualify for Euros.

• Advertisement

O Donnell, they would not have to be from Scotland!! Present the facts to a person of any nationality around the world and they would say the same thing. You can dress things up anyway you like, but facts of matter are he choose not to play for Scotland and if this is not shunning Scotland, I don't know what is.

Now that he is playing for Ireland, I wish he would develop as a player, because we need every good player available to us to perform to qualify for Euros.

Rules at the time from the SFA stopped him from playing for Scotland, you seem to ignore this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Work away, I've no problem if you call Ireland a ****hole. I wouldn't disagree with you in any case. But I can call Scotland what I want and neither you nor anyone else can tell me to do otherwise. I have Scottish blood, I've spent many holidays there as a young lad, and I've a large extended family there.

My point is that a sizeable portion of Scotland has a bit of a problem with sectarianism. You know as well as I do that if McGeady had qualified and opted to play for some other far off country it would not be as much of an issue as it is with Ireland. The fans of your favourite club are testament to that. "Go Home" etc..

Personally I feel you are wrong to look at this in such a black and white manner. Peoples' situations and circumstances are not simply black and white. It's not a binary thing of either shunning or not shunning - to have such a simple view on things is very narrow-minded imo. Had circumstances been different, he might very well be playing for Scotland.

The sectarianism thing is very much a two sided coin Paul also calling other countries names is not needed we are all supposed to be intelligent adults not wee boys name calling.

As for McGeady himself having had the misfortune to meet him on a couple of occasions up here he has come across as an arrogant small minded bigot who's head is so far up his own backside it's unreal and until he loses the attitude then he will never improve anymore as a player. He is so different to Neil Lennon who contrary to everything I had heard about the man was an absolute gent when I met him yes he slagged me about being a Ger and I slagged him but it was all taken in good part even after having a few drinks together :D

Dempsey, I fully understand the rules. If rules prevented me turning out for Ireland as a 15 year old boy, I wouldn't have scuddled off to play for England or any country if I was committed to the country of my birth, now would I?? I would have bidded my time, worked hard and waited till I could play.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Dempsey, I fully understand the rules. If rules prevented me turning out for Ireland as a 15 year old boy, I wouldn't have scuddled off to play for England or any country if I was committed to the country of my birth, now would I?? I would have bidded my time, worked hard and waited till I could play.

LOL. Are you for real? You're telling me that as a young footballer, with the option to play international football for a country you have an affinity with, that you would turn it down and wait for something else that may/may not happen?

Very easy for you to say Brewster.

Like I say this is not black and white. Stop being so narrow-minded ffs. Can you not see that people often have connections to multiple countries, especially in a complex society like Scotland? What is the big deal here?

Paulo... you arent Scottish and ill thank you for not calling the country IM from a ****hole.

Binary? Im not sure i agree with you - youre either Scottish, English, Irish, Welsh... whatever, or you arent.

Male, Female,
    Zebra, Lion
    Fire, Water.

Thats not black and white, thats fact - hes a Scot. I have irish connections, and Im a Scot. 1 in 4 Scots do have Irish connections, and are Scots. Its a country of birth thing - hey i didnt make the rules mate, but FIFA have bent them to such a degree that it no longer means anything to play for YOUR country.

In this regard, yes... he turned his back on his country. I have an affinity to ireland, sure.. but by christ I wont play for them over my own country regardless of my perceived heritage, and this is how many people feel.

Yeah I agree with you on the sectarian thing - because he chose ireland and plays for Celtic and all that, he probably gets a worse time of it, more so than say Richard Gough had he chosen to play for Sweden...but had he done so you would suspect he did it through an affinity for Sweden and feeling like Sweden was his home (because theres no sectarian thing there) ... but with McGeady - there is. Its almost as if he chose to play for Ireland BECAUSE he is a wee sectarian (and by all accounts he is as bigoted and stupid as they come). This is why, in my opinion, he gets such a hard time of it.

Take McCarthy - he wants to play for ireland because of his grandparents and for me - thats fair play because everyone knows that lad isnt a daft wee bigot - he just loves his grandad and hes said this many a time. But McGeady is well known to be a bigot and one suspects his motives arent quite so pure.

just for the record... im not a bigot, and not every SCOTTISH person is. Congratulations on your blood though :)

The sectarianism thing is very much a two sided coin Paul also calling other countries names is not needed we are all supposed to be intelligent adults not wee boys name calling.

As for McGeady himself having had the misfortune to meet him on a couple of occasions up here he has come across as an arrogant small minded bigot who's head is so far up his own backside it's unreal and until he loses the attitude then he will never improve anymore as a player. He is so different to Neil Lennon who contrary to everything I had heard about the man was an absolute gent when I met him yes he slagged me about being a Ger and I slagged him but it was all taken in good part even after having a few drinks together :D

Arrogant?? Quite proabbly but 'small minded bigot'?? Why did you say that?

Well maybe he wasnt committed to the country of his birth?? Maybe he eregarded himslef as Irish form an early age??? It was not a matter of him scuddling of tro any other foreign country that he was eleigible to paly for.
    You do not know what you would have done as a 15 year old in fairness.

Also why the earlier 'oirish' jibe at some celtic supporteres???

Paulo... you arent Scottish and ill thank you for not calling the country IM from a ****hole.

Binary? Im not sure i agree with you - youre either Scottish, English, Irish, Welsh... whatever, or you arent.

Male, Female,
    Zebra, Lion
    Fire, Water.

Thats not black and white, thats fact - hes a Scot. I have irish connections, and Im a Scot. 1 in 4 Scots do have Irish connections, and are Scots. Its a country of birth thing - hey i didnt make the rules mate, but FIFA have bent them to such a degree that it no longer means anything to play for YOUR country.

In this regard, yes... he turned his back on his country. I have an affinity to ireland, sure.. but by christ I wont play for them over my own country regardless of my perceived heritage, and this is how many people feel.

Yeah I agree with you on the sectarian thing - because he chose ireland and plays for Celtic and all that, he probably gets a worse time of it, more so than say Richard Gough had he chosen to play for Sweden...but had he done so you would suspect he did it through an affinity for Sweden and feeling like Sweden was his home (because theres no sectarian thing there) ... but with McGeady - there is. Its almost as if he chose to play for Ireland BECAUSE he is a wee sectarian (and by all accounts he is as bigoted and stupid as they come). This is why, in my opinion, he gets such a hard time of it.

Take McCarthy - he wants to play for ireland because of his grandparents and for me - thats fair play because everyone knows that lad isnt a daft wee bigot - he just loves his grandad and hes said this many a time. But McGeady is well known to be a bigot and one suspects his motives arent quite so pure.

just for the record... im not a bigot, and not every SCOTTISH person is. Congratulations on your blood though :)

O what grounds are you calling Aiden a sectraian bigot??? Way out of order imo without backing it up

Well maybe he wasnt committed to the country of his birth?? Maybe he eregarded himslef as Irish form an early age??? It was not a matter of him scuddling of tro any other foreign country that he was eleigible to paly for.
    You do not know what you would have done as a 15 year old in fairness.

Also why the earlier 'oirish' jibe at some celtic supporteres???

I think I can answer your oirish question Coillte (how do you pronounce that btw!?). The Oirish thing..well...its accepted that most of the bigots in the Celtic support from back home, well a high percentage anyway, go on and on about the irish connection whilst never having set foot in the place. But they readily wave the flags and sing rebel songs etc. We call them plastic paddys. Hence the Oirish thing.... without opening a can of worms not of this threads topic, ... thats what it is.

• Advertisement

So McCarthy is ok but McGeady ain't? What do you reckon Brewster, is McCarthy shunning his country?

Listen, I'll bow out here because I'm going to get into trouble, but I'm truly stunned at the narrow-mindedness of what I'm reading here - I truly am.

Scotlands shame.

O what grounds are you calling Aiden a sectraian bigot??? Way out of order imo without backing it up

I dont think its out of order really, im not a person who posts links and links and links to back up every word i utter... i know enough celtic supporters, irish people, rangers supporters...people who have met him, read enough articles quoting him, heard enough radio shows interviewing him...etc, to form an opinion that - in my humble experience growing up in Glasgow... he is a sectarian bigot.

i hope thats good enough.

So McCarthy is ok but McGeady ain't? What do you reckon Brewster, is McCarthy shunning his country?

Listen, I'll bow out here because I'm going to get into trouble, but I'm truly stunned at the narrow-mindedness of what I'm reading here - I truly am.

Scotlands shame.

Youre the guy calling it scotlands shame mate... im no bigot and ill thank you to stop inferring that anyone who thinks playing for a country not of your birth is a bigot.

Thats the height of ignorance right there and i dont expect that from you.

I stated why i think its ok for McCarthy... I said that the notion is that McGeady has other motives NOT so pure. Is it wrong to hate McGeady because one suspects him of being a bigot? Is it wrong to treat McCarthy differently because one suspects him not to be?

bow back in...this is a decent point and it shouldnt be marred by the scotlands shame pish - youre not talking to bigots here. Just Scots.

I didnt F***n ask, you did i?

well excuuuuuse the fck me...i guess the answer is no good becasue you didnt ask me then? so someone you didnt ask answered your question and you get all playground like?

wow... i see the level of maturity in this thread has dipped to 5 year old levels.

think ill make like Paul and bow out! :D

congratulations though..you do your 'oirish' counterparts justice in ignorance.

I dont think its out of order really, im not a person who posts links and links and links to back up every word i utter... i know enough celtic supporters, irish people, rangers supporters...people who have met him, read enough articles quoting him, heard enough radio shows interviewing him...etc, to form an opinion that - in my humble experience growing up in Glasgow... he is a sectarian bigot.

No i don't think it is good enough. You get on your high horse earlier cos someone referred to Scotland as a a***hole yet you are happy to have a go at Aiden accusing him of all sorts with no evidence. What has he ever said in articles or interviews that could be construed as bigoted or sectarian???

well excuuuuuse the fck me...i guess the answer is no good becasue you didnt ask me then? so someone you didnt ask answered your question and you get all playground like?

wow... i see the level of maturity in this thread has dipped to 5 year old levels.

think ill make like Paul and bow out! :D

congratulations though..you do your 'oirish' counterparts justice in ignorance.

It was Brewster that made the comment and i t was him that i asked? How can you possibly answer for him? Ye are well suited the two of ye anyway.

• Advertisement

No i don't think it is good enough. You get on your high horse earlier cos someone referred to Scotland as a a***hole yet you are happy to have a go at Aiden accusing him of all sorts with no evidence. What has he ever said in articles or interviews that could be construed as bigoted or sectarian???

sorry if i dont have evidence of circumstantial stuff... theres no real way of proving this though is there? To ask for evidence of experience is kinda like asking what sort of air you breath.

Silly question given my decent answer. And its not a high horse to ask someone to stop insulting your country...its decency.

Now, im out of here before the narrow mindedness and sectarianism gets constrictive.

sorry if i dont have evidence of circumstantial stuff... theres no real way of proving this though is there? To ask for evidence of experience is kinda like asking what sort of air you breath.

Silly question given my decent answer. And its not a high horse to ask someone to stop insulting your country...its decency.

Now, im out of here before the narrow mindedness and sectarianism gets constrictive.

You are obviously not going to answera simple question. Why mention articles and interviews and then not back it up. That would not be circumstantial. I'm not asking for evidence of experinece. Where is the sectarianism here??:confused:

LOL

You dont have dual nationality nor in the position that they were in so your thinking and what you would do is irrelevant.

McGeady could have switched back but stuck with Ireland because they asked him to play first and he was showing respect back. Same happened with McCarthy.

You should be angry with the SFA for marginalizing players rather than blaming players for their reaction to being outcast by their country of birth.

Arrogant?? Quite proabbly but 'small minded bigot'?? Why did you say that?

Well having a conversation with him when it was brought up (Not by me but by someone else in the company)That I was a Rangers fan his whole attitude changed and he started using offence terms to me which I found incredible considering he was representing his club. But then if thats acceptable then so be it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Essentially you have no basis for it then.

Grand, that sorts that out.

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    Essentially you have no basis for it then.

Grand, that sorts that out.

But I have read the post above yours;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

It was Brewster that made the comment and i t was him that i asked? How can you possibly answer for him? Ye are well suited the two of ye anyway.

Well thanks to O Donnell for answering for me! The Oirish thing is known the world over, some americans are famed for it too. I just dont get it myself. Its so false Coillte Bhoy. I wouldn't disagree with O Donnell's answer.

ziggy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Agreed but stuff happens :p

Advertisement