Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

C+C my... erm... everything?

• 12-04-2010 10:17pm

Hey guys,

I was just wondering if I could ask for some feedback and opinions on some of my shots. Still at the beginning of the old road of photography, so still very new to everything.

I've been playing about with the camera for a few months (well... on and off. I'd say I've only really been using it for a couple of weeks.. that's my excuse, anyway :pac: ).

A copy of Understanding Exposure (finally) arrived today that I ordered online, but I only got a short chance to look at it. I'm hoping it'll be as useful/informative as many of the users on here seem to say it is.

So anyway, I was wondering if anyone fancied taking a mooch through my Pix account (linked to in my sig) and would fancy letting me know what they think? Is there anything in there that'd be considered good? anything overly bad?

I'm aware all of my photographs are piss poor in comparison to what floats around here daily, but I'd like to try and get some constructive criticism early on, before I start trying to venture out regularly with the intention of taking photographs.

So yeah... apologies if I'm asking a lot, but I just thought there'd be no harm in asking :)

(and by the way, if anyone does bother to go to the Pix account, you can ignore the WWE folder, it's just a lot of paint.net messing and is generally poorly done, which I'm aware of).

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

we all start somewhere... and we all are learning, witht that book you'll pick up the basics asap, then its all down to techniques and practice, and taking c and c onboard, i think the last bit is vital...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

we all start somewhere... and we all are learning, witht that book you'll pick up the basics asap, then its all down to techniques and practice, and taking c and c onboard, i think the last bit is vital...

Absolutely. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭IamBlip

Hi KKV, like you I too am new to photography so take anything I say objectively with a large bag of salt.....OK I really like the park bench shot, you executed the perspective lines of the bench and park wall very well. I also like the fire engine shot with the extended ladder to the corner of the frame, both photos are quite artistic.

Having said that I found most of your other shots lack the quality of those mentioned above as they appear very, well flat / missing focal points / verging on snap shots, if you get my drift.

Now dispite having lots of photos myself I've got an empty Pixie account, the reason being I feel my photography is suffering from my last paragraph also :pac:, but I am going to put some albums together and ask for CC just like you have (you'll get your revenge:D) because if I only get some small snippets of good advice then I will have gained some extra knowledge, god knows I'll need it.

Anyhow Keep it going. (I've also got UE class book)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

A detailed C&C is quite a lot to ask for and you'll be lucky to get one. I had a look at your stream. There's not much in there. I'm limited to about 16 images per post so thats what cover.

Disclaimer:
    Let me stress how important it is to take this with a large lump of salt. What you learn by getting an honest C&C is how to look at your own images from a totally different perspective than your own. That's the exercise. Not weather I like your image or not. I couldn't give a s**t about your images to be perfectly honest. It's about you learning to see your own images in the cold detached light of the day.

The exercise is good for me too. By examining your images, I gain perspective and opinion which in turn helps me develop as a photographer.

Image title PA020567-PP2
    85F7C97A824D4AD3A167DCEF73EFD44F-240.jpg
    Nice fore background thing going on here. Exposure is fine. Colours are fine too. Horizon is straight. The sky is a bit boring. The bit of empty space on the right dosn't work.

My simple suggestion:
    It would have been worth it to wait for someone to walk into that space. Even send someone, one of your mates over to walk towards the beach front. Even a beach ball. Just something to catch your eye. It would lead your eye from foreground to the middle ground (Your mate/Beach ball), then to the background.

=========================================================

Image title Sunset
    1C422177A7C04E1E87FBA12F402C1328-240.jpg
    Seen this shot before. Anyone who goes to on holidays to somewhere tropical will take one of these. It's not a bad image. The horizon is straight, But it's smack bang across the middle. The overall colour of the image is really nice.

My suggestion:
    Why have too much water there when the clouds are much more interesting. Split the image at the horizon to the lower third. Think the power of three.

Image title Lanzarote
    8FE8CCDACAF84941A7148FB8FB01582F-240.jpg
    Much the same as the last image. Horizon is in the middle again. Not much going on. The light looks OK. Nice evening sun shining on the town and clouds.

My suggestion:
    Zoom into where the action is in the picture. The town with the beautiful light and clouds is where it's at. The rest is just dull.

Image title Surf
    9D3832A5CF164D638CF7D5BC6EE52458-240.jpg
    Nothing interesting here.

My suggestion:
    Either retake from a lower position or Delete it!

Image title Policia Local
    F78A0288F03C4504AD64AEA650F089FC-240.jpg
    Is that selective colouring of a police car while you are on holidays. I want some of what you're on.

My suggestion:
    Delete!

Image title To Hull And Back
    7AE20ED466A74954B7375CDECEB228B5-240.jpg
    This is my favorite of yours. The horizon is straight, The light looks good and the boat is in a nice position on the image. the two poles add to the image and keeps your eyes from following the horizon and wandering off the side of the page.

My suggestion:
    If your perspective was a little lower I think it would enhance the image. The boat would look almost on the horizon and the poles would cut the horizon completely.

Image title Mornington
    E25001AECD52421E99F9987154834972-240.jpg
    Nice enough image. The horizon is in the top half. Though it seems a little crooked, or is it my eyes. I like the angle of the peir/wall type structure. The people on the beach keeps me looking at the image and adds a little interest.

My suggestion:
    Don't know what you could do to improve this. Looks fine as is.

Image title P3190535 - PP
    210787443EEC484B9F7E266C74284445-240.jpg
    Phallic symbol! Needs no comments.

Image title Concrete Flower
    61F79873B23D442CA16E39C35E7FB233-240.jpg
    I've seen this before in a million threads on a million websites. The positioning of the plant is OK. Good use of DOF.

My suggestion:
    If you want us to focus on the plant, there a few ways you can do it. One of my favorites is to make the area of the plant and the plant itself brighter than the whole image. Think vignette! Simple but effective.

Image title P2090900
    F98E7C4952C142A8878048B01F298DE3-240.jpg
    I like this shot. The black and white conversion looks good enough. There is a foreground (text on the lifebouy), middle ground (white thing surrounding it), background (bridge and river) thing going on.

My suggestion:
    I'd like to see more of the bridge and the river. My eye is following the river but is stopped abruptly by the edge of the image. I'd like to see further down to a vanishing point. It would be more comfortable for the viewer.

Image title P6220202
    40C4A88B49734998A3689B5281EE5C3A-240.jpg
    Boring.

My suggestion:
    Delete it.

Image title Scotch Hall
    648A5845A2334549940809C78C3B1DEE-240.jpg
    Nice enough shot. Again, it's been done before. I have one myself over the liffey. Theres nothing original about it.

My suggestion:
    Try and make the blacks a little darker. It's a night time shot. A bit of PP using curves will sort that out.

Image title Bridge Of Peace
    C4633361BF934CA387798569F4048165-240.jpg
    Cute shot. If it wasn't for the smiley face i'd say it was similar to image P6220202.

My suggestion:
    Nothing to do here. Smiley Face is timeless.

Image title Ramparts
    F53AEE2B6F304D14A1355477B3194886-240.jpg
    Nice stylized image. I don't like the perspective though. But nothing you could do about that. The general colour of the image is nice.

My suggestion:
    Would make a good scene for HDR. The contrasts in the image is a little overpowering. The shadows could be opened up a little in PP.

Image title Empty Bench - Ramparts
    BE3701BDA77D4ED69C5C808EA6374E82-240.jpg
    This is my other favorite of yours. The perspective is perfect. The vanishing point goes off into the distance. Though it could be a little more toward the center of the image to be most comfortable. I love the deserted feel about the whole image. Well done on this.

My suggestions:
    If this shot had been taken from shoulder height, you would say it was boring. Low down and you create a whole new dimension to the image. I wouldn't change anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

I left a few comments on your pix.ie account. Must say some of the shots are excellent. There are a few in the Fire & Rescue album that seem a bit flat and uninteresting - the shots of the van in particular. The 2 helmet shots were very good, especially the one inside only being hampered by the reflection of the flash/light.

I liked the landscapes in your Lanzarote album, the sunset was very well exposed - the colours are very virbrant. IMO it's good to get as low as possible when taking shots like these as it gives the foreground more interest - not sure if it was possible to do here. Next time try taking a shot from your standing height and then again from as low as possible to the ground and compare the difference - and using a higher f/stop will keep everything in focus. The police car photo is pretty uninteresting - it looks like a random snapshot. Firstly I'd say you needed to be closer to the subject. Also maybe if it was from a different perspective - low down/higher/angled etc and maybe a play about with the dof.

• Advertisement

IamBlip wrote: »
    Hi KKV, like you I too am new to photography so take anything I say objectively with a large bag of salt.....OK I really like the park bench shot, you executed the perspective lines of the bench and park wall very well. I also like the fire engine shot with the extended ladder to the corner of the frame, both photos are quite artistic.

Having said that I found most of your other shots lack the quality of those mentioned above as they appear very, well flat / missing focal points / verging on snap shots, if you get my drift.

Now dispite having lots of photos myself I've got an empty Pixie account, the reason being I feel my photography is suffering from my last paragraph also , but I am going to put some albums together and ask for CC just like you have (you'll get your revenge) because if I only get some small snippets of good advice then I will have gained some extra knowledge, god knows I'll need it.

Anyhow Keep it going. (I've also got UE class book)

I appreciate the comment. I also think the Bench and Fire truck shot are probably the best I have (Though I admit, of course there'll be bias because they're my photos, but I am fond of the Scotch Hall shot ).

I do see what you are saying about a lot of them looking snap shot-ish, though. Hopefully I can progress on from such photos. Thanks for the feedback Would like to see some of your own, if you do make a C+C thread!

oshead wrote: »
    A detailed C&C is quite a lot to ask for and you'll be lucky to get one. I had a look at your stream. There's not much in there. I'm limited to about 16 images per post so thats what cover.

And I appreciate you covering so many of my images. Thank you. It's very much appreciated.

Image title PA020567-PP2

Nice fore background thing going on here. Exposure is fine. Colours are fine too. Horizon is straight. The sky is a bit boring. The bit of empty space on the right dosn't work.

My simple suggestion:
    It would have been worth it to wait for someone to walk into that space. Even send someone, one of your mates over to walk towards the beach front. Even a beach ball. Just something to catch your eye. It would lead your eye from foreground to the middle ground (Your mate/Beach ball), then to the background.
    I see what you mean about the empty space, and I agree, it does make that section of the photograph fairly bland looking. I'm not going to lie and say I was taking it into consideration at the time or anything. I wasn't, and even if I had the choice to put someone/something there at the time, I probably wouldn't have (photo was taken last September, I was only really starting to play about with the camera). In saying that, looking at it now, I genuinely can see how that'd make the photograph look significantly better. Sound advice.

Image title Sunset

Seen this shot before. Anyone who goes to on holidays to somewhere tropical will take one of these. It's not a bad image. The horizon is straight, But it's smack bang across the middle. The overall colour of the image is really nice.

My suggestion:
    Why have too much water there when the clouds are much more interesting. Split the image at the horizon to the lower third. Think the power of three.
    The reason I had so much water in the shot, was because it's along where the bottom of the image ends, that the reflection of the sun along the water also ends. I agree that it's the same kind of shot that everyone with a camera will inevitably take... but I suppose that's why I took it . I was still learning over there at the time and to be completely honest, was ridiculously happy with how it came out (though it has gone through a slight saturation/contrast boost).

Image title Lanzarote

Much the same as the last image. Horizon is in the middle again. Not much going on. The light looks OK. Nice evening sun shining on the town and clouds.

My suggestion:
    Zoom into where the action is in the picture. The town with the beautiful light and clouds is where it's at. The rest is just dull.
    The above photo was taken at the same place as the "sunset" one above it, but looking in the opposite direction (though at a different time).

When you negate the horizon being in the middle, do you think it's best to have it higher or lower? Is there a general rule of thumb? In my head (I haven't looked up any horizon images on Google or anything, though I will soon enough to see how they're captured), when I think of the horizon being higher or lower in an image like the above one, I feel that the image will become less appealing, as the sky/water will take up a lot more of the shot than it already is, and may result in too much sky/water in the image? I hadn't considered zooming in, to be honest. I was kind of going for a "distant landscape" kind of shot. Obviously backfired

Image title Surf

Nothing interesting here.

My suggestion:
    Either retake from a lower position or Delete it!
    From my own personal standpoint (and again, they're my photos, so whilst I try to be objective, I apologise if I come across biased or anything at all), i like this photo. Don't get me wrong, i can see why it would be percieved as dull and uninteresting, but I just like it for some reason (though I don't like how the water changes colour as it becomes shallower).

When you say retake from a lower position, do you mean pretty much retake from on the rocks themself? So the water is essentially coming toward the camera?

Image title Policia Local

Is that selective colouring of a police car while you are on holidays. I want some of what you're on.

My suggestion:
    Delete!
    This was pretty much just a snapshot photograph. There was no though really put into it. It pulled up and the guys got out. They didn't look very happy so I wanted to take the photograph quickly before they returned (I was on the other side of the car when it stopped, so I had to get around to 'this' side of it before taking the photo).

There's not a lot going on in it at all, except I wanted a photograph of a Police car (I'm fond of the emergency services). The selective colouring was just me trying it out (hadn't done it prior to this).

Image title To Hull And Back

This is my favorite of yours. The horizon is straight, The light looks good and the boat is in a nice position on the image. the two poles add to the image and keeps your eyes from following the horizon and wandering off the side of the page.

My suggestion:
    If your perspective was a little lower I think it would enhance the image. The boat would look almost on the horizon and the poles would cut the horizon completely.
    Thanks for the kind words regarding this. This is one of the only photographs I've probably ever taken where I actually knew what I wanted to achieve. I hadn't thought of getting lower down, good suggestion.

Image title Mornington

Nice enough image. The horizon is in the top half. Though it seems a little crooked, or is it my eyes. I like the angle of the peir/wall type structure. The people on the beach keeps me looking at the image and adds a little interest.

My suggestion:
    Don't know what you could do to improve this. Looks fine as is.
    The horizon isn't too far off, I don't think. I think it's just the zig-zag rocks that make it look that way? The stones/wall type structure is what I was concentrating on with the photograph.

Image title P3190535 - PP

Phallic symbol! Needs no comments.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees that.

Image title Concrete Flower

I've seen this before in a million threads on a million websites. The positioning of the plant is OK. Good use of DOF.

My suggestion:
    If you want us to focus on the plant, there a few ways you can do it. One of my favorites is to make the area of the plant and the plant itself brighter than the whole image. Think vignette! Simple but effective.
    I think there is too much of a 'background' to this image? This was actually one of the first images I took with my DSLR. Just shortly after unboxing it. I liked the DOF effect I got, but admittedly, hadn't a bean how I got it.
    Image title P2090900

I like this shot. The black and white conversion looks good enough. There is a foreground (text on the lifebouy), middle ground (white thing surrounding it), background (bridge and river) thing going on.

My suggestion:
    I'd like to see more of the bridge and the river. My eye is following the river but is stopped abruptly by the edge of the image. I'd like to see further down to a vanishing point. It would be more comfortable for the viewer.
    I see what you're saying about the 'vanishing point' not being there. If I'm being honest, although I must have liked the photograph at the time, looking at it now, I'm not too mad about the image as a whole. A friend of mine who was at my house recently and mooching on my PC said he quite liked it (knows nothing of photography... much like me!) but was fond of it. To me, personally, i think it looks a bit sloppy or something though? A bit all over the place?

I know I asked for C+C, so I'm not trying to C+C myself here, but just looking to see if you'd agree/disagree with that point?
    Image title P6220202

Boring.

My suggestion:
    Delete it.
    I agree. I'm not sure why I've kept it to be honest. Although whenever I look at it I do feel like it could be a good photograph, but is missing something?

Image title Scotch Hall

Nice enough shot. Again, it's been done before. I have one myself over the liffey. Theres nothing original about it.

My suggestion:
    Try and make the blacks a little darker. It's a night time shot. A bit of PP using curves will sort that out.
    I actually have another version of this that is messed about with a little (I must've uploaded the wrong one, or edited it after uploading?

E01177A24B6B49DEA6E69A7BD3E5F720-500.jpg

Do you feel that makes it any better or worse? I have to admit, it's actually one of my favourite photographs that I've taken. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing to say.

Image title Bridge Of Peace

Cute shot. If it wasn't for the smiley face i'd say it was similar to image P6220202.

My suggestion:
    Nothing to do here. Smiley Face is timeless.
    When I took this I wasn't actually focusing on the 'Smiley Face' (it was unintentional, i only noticed it when I was looking at the image on the conputer, and never really expected anyone else to see it).

Image title Ramparts

Nice stylized image. I don't like the perspective though. But nothing you could do about that. The general colour of the image is nice.

My suggestion:
    Would make a good scene for HDR. The contrasts in the image is a little overpowering. The shadows could be opened up a little in PP.
    I must try taking a photograph similar to that again with an attempt at HDR actually (of course It'd be a while before it's snowy again) but during the summer it might be worth a shot. I have yet to try my hand at a proper HDR attempt.
    Image title Empty Bench - Ramparts

This is my other favorite of yours. The perspective is perfect. The vanishing point goes off into the distance. Though it could be a little more toward the center of the image to be most comfortable. I love the deserted feel about the whole image. Well done on this.

My suggestions:
    If this shot had been taken from shoulder height, you would say it was boring. Low down and you create a whole new dimension to the image. I wouldn't change anything.
    Thank you. I like this photograph too. When i was taking it I was trying to align the back of the bench with the wall behind it for the most part. I believe I only took it once, though, so i'm quite happy people like it.

I think I just need to start getting out and about more with the camera to different places. Droghda Town is so dull and boring to photograph. There's really not a lot in it worth while.

Oshead, i really, thoroughly appreacite you taking the time to C+C so many of my images. Thank you.

I'll re-read the comments in this thread over and over and hopefully, with Understanding Exposure also coming into it, I'll pick a few things up.

sprinkles wrote: »
    I left a few comments on your pix.ie account. Must say some of the shots are excellent. There are a few in the Fire & Rescue album that seem a bit flat and uninteresting - the shots of the van in particular. The 2 helmet shots were very good, especially the one inside only being hampered by the reflection of the flash/light.

I liked the landscapes in your Lanzarote album, the sunset was very well exposed - the colours are very virbrant. IMO it's good to get as low as possible when taking shots like these as it gives the foreground more interest - not sure if it was possible to do here. Next time try taking a shot from your standing height and then again from as low as possible to the ground and compare the difference - and using a higher f/stop will keep everything in focus. The police car photo is pretty uninteresting - it looks like a random snapshot. Firstly I'd say you needed to be closer to the subject. Also maybe if it was from a different perspective - low down/higher/angled etc and maybe a play about with the dof.

Thank you for the kind words. I think some of the issues I may have had with the Fire & Rescue photographs is that I wasn't really trying too hard a lot to be artistic or capture amazing images. I was more just trying to photograph what I seen, as I seen it.

I tried to go low down and such when possible to get different styles of shots, but it didn't work out too well a lot of the time, unfortunately.

(Sorry for the multiple posts. Had them all as one long post, but it wouldn't let me post it in one go for some reason).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I replied too via ur Pixie...then again I would, I'm a good guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Like I said before, Take this advise with a pinch of salt. You have to make your own mind up about all this stuff. By doing and getting C&C you start to learn how to look for all this stuff.

For the horizon shot. Up, down in the middle, no matter. What matters is you make a decision about it and photograph whats interesting in the scene.

Scotch Hall looks better in black, without a doubt.

The smiley face image is what's known as a happy accident. Not cos of the smiley face but because you got something extra form the photo that you didn't realize was there. So in effect, the camera saw it but your eyes didn't. There's a lesson to be learned from that. The camera records everything. Your eyes just see what matters. If you can get the camera to see only what matters, you'd be on to a winner.

Another important exercise you can do. While looking at images, try and be conscious of where your eyes are traveling in the image. Do they go to the important stuff, or just scattered all over the place. This will help you to produce better images. If you can narrow down in an image what the eye jumps too when viewing then your photography will improve.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

This is the way C&C should be, open and honest.....

I'm learning a lot just by lurking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭IamBlip

Agreed, this is a good C&C thread.

I don't have enough posts to be able to thank just yet, so thanks oshead great synopsises (I'm only glad i got my post in just before yours as I would have had very little to add)

Thanks also to KKV

Advertisement