Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo World Store, NYC

• 12-04-2010 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭

Has anyone been to the Nintendo World Store in NYC?

I'm heading to NY myself soon and was wondering is it worth going to see.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

Yeah, it's worth a look. It's basically just an overpriced merchandise store, but there's a kinda cool collection of Nintendo consoles through the years upstairs. If you're in the area, which I recommend you should be, take a look in, but don't expect much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I was in it in 2004, when it was a Pokémon Store. I do recall it being overpriced back then. I imagine that a Nintendo Store would appeal to far more people and be less...garish.

The console collection sounds cool though, I'm sure the Virtual Boy has a special corner, near the 64DD? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Buzzthebatgirl

Mr. K wrote: »
    I was in it in 2004, when it was a Pokémon Store. I do recall it being overpriced back then. I imagine that a Nintendo Store would appeal to far more people and be less...garish.

The console collection sounds cool though, I'm sure the Virtual Boy has a special corner, near the 64DD? :p
    When I was there last year I'm pretty sure the only console they that there were the phat Game Boy that got bombed but still works and all the flavours of GBA upgrades (SP and Mirco) and some special DSes (like a triforce one). The N64DD and Virtual Boy seem to have been banished to the pits of hell.

Merchandise wise I though they were quite poor. They sold Pokémon products downstairs including plushes, TCG, mini figures and T-Shirts in kid sizes. Upstairs they sold some clothing, T-shirts and hoodies, but nothing to scream about, better clothing can be found at the nearest Hot Topic store

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Not a huge Hot Topic fan but they do have some cool retro t-shirts

Will be in NY next weekend so will be paying a visit, I've seen pictures of the busted-up GB before but would love to see it in person. Have a Virtual Boy so no worries there but would've liked to have seen a 64DD close up, or a Satellaview :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I'm just hoping to find a Mario mushroom plushie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

I'm just hoping to find a Mario mushroom plushie.
    You can buy one on dealextreme

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Well worth a visit for a Nintendo fan. Some really cool t-****s. Got a black one with the purple poison mushroom and "game over below it".

Next day while wearing it, this random girl came up to me and said..."man, I really love your t-shirt and the message it is trying to convey. The mushroom depicts drugs such as magic mushrooms, herion, and cocaine while the game over message makes it clear your life will be over. Also, the purple depicts royalty and courage that you need to spread such a great message."

Hadn't the heart to tell her it was a mushroom that Mario runs away from.

That and she was smoking hot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Next day while wearing it, this random girl came up to me and said..."man, I really love your t-shirt and the message it is trying to convey. The mushroom depicts drugs such as magic mushrooms, herion, and cocaine while the game over message makes it clear your life will be over. Also, the purple depicts royalty and courage that you need to spread such a great message."

Maybe that's what Nintendo were going for? I always felt the poison mushroom was the ultimate betrayal, I remember my first encounter with one...:mad:. Quite an ingenius addition!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I don't remember any purple mushrooms from the Mario games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Worth a visit. Been there, bought the (Zelda) T-Shirt. Nothing spectacular, but hey if you're nearby.

Super Potato, Akihabara, on the other hand... Now that's a retro gaming store. I don't think I've ever been so close to being overwhelmed with gaming joy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

In NY and was in the store yesterday, was cool, bought a couple of tshirts and had a look at the messed up gameboy, worth a visit!

Advertisement