Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mt leinster on fire?

Options
  • 12-04-2010 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭

Hearing a lot of reports on Mt leinster being on fire...

Anyone got any info??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I've heard the same. My sister's friend was looking out her window at it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

gorse fire, I'd imagine, Galtees were well burnt over the weekend. Maybe arson, maybe some silly person trying to burn gorse.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

Was just out by Myshall, there is a fire alright, seems to be in a line across the mountain, starting about half way up and across the top and down the the other side if that makes sense. No idea what may have caused it thou.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭David09

Yep, looking out over my garden wall where I am above Ballinabranna, I can definitely see something ablaze. Whereabouts is it? Is it just scrubland, gorse or forestry?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Its the same part of the mountain that the Nine Stones are on. Facing Garyhill, Myshall and Fenagh. Was thiking about heading over for a look.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

The fire is on the mountain to the right of the 9 stones. I've been up there on my bike a fair bit and it's all gorse and scrubland
    This pic is taken from my house, just had a look out again and it seems to have died down but is still going.
    The lights below in the pic below the fire is Myshall GAA

P1010463.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

kwalshe wrote: »
    The fire is on the mountain to the right of the 9 stones. I've been up there on my bike a fair bit and it's all gorse and scrubland
    This pic is taken from my house, just had a look out again and it seems to have died down but is still going.
    The lights below in the pic below the fire is Myshall GAA

P1010463.jpg

Fcuk me thats pretty big. I remember that happening about ten years ago and the flames almost got down to the houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

super-rush wrote: »
    Fcuk me thats pretty big. I remember that happening about ten years ago and the flames almost got down to the houses.

This was at about 8:45 when it was at it's worst. The shape of the flame on the hill-side reminds me of the Coors Light Logo!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭countryliving

glad this post was put up - i have noticed this before one afternoon actually. it is worrying..........as long as its not some messer doing this. hope all the residents will be ok and all houses.....keep us posted on boards if any of you locals hear why the place is on fire - thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tom10

kwalshe wrote: »
    This was at about 8:45 when it was at it's worst. The shape of the flame on the hill-side reminds me of the Coors Light Logo!

Haha god that is a good marketing campaign they are running there then eh :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

It's a fookin disgrace is what it is. Year after year it is done and it's completely reckless and of course the sneaky ba5tards never get caught. It is sometimes done to promote the growth of new gorse shoots which are nutritional for ewes and birds but it is always done recklessly. Some of us here are from areas extremely close to the fire, and it's not nice having smoke buffeting your house because of some stupid farmer. I know there are two houses as it stood at 1pm last night that were ridicously close to the fire and this isn't funny. I hope the idiot that starts these fires gets caught in it one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

stick-dan wrote: »
    It's a fookin disgrace is what it is. Year after year it is done and it's completely reckless and of course the sneaky ba5tards never get caught.

I hope the idiot that starts these fires gets caught in it one day.

The annoying thing is that most of your neighbours will know who is starting the fires but don't want to say anything for "fear of offending"

The guards won't bother their fat ar$es and Carlow hasn't got a National Parks and Wildlife ranger - another disgrace - a green minister (junior) and the only county without a ranger.

Until local people start kicking up about this carry on it will keep destroying wildlife and endangering people and property.

have you spoken to mary white - she lives at the foot of mount leinster? i live about 8 miles from borris but i hang out a lot in the area - big community spirit there but i would imagine that everybody has a fair idea of who is starting these fires but nobody wants to 'offend' their neighbours by reporting these incidents. plus - guards 'probably'have no interest. i don't know a lot about these things but a wildlife ranger sounds like a good idea - park ranger.......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Is it the mountain that is on fire at the Nine Stones , or is it the forest ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Would James Lakes have any sort of authority or power to tackle this? He's the councils environmental patrol officer still as far as im aware?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Graig2010

As far as I know - and I may be wrong but i intend to find out - most of those farmers do not 'own' the land but have grazing rights.. they are permitted to 'strip burn' in a controlled manner from September time - but not this time of year as animals are breeding / hatching. if they are not managing and caretaking the land in the correct way then surely their grazing rights should be revoked?? also, what kind of subsidies are these guys getting from the dept of agri - info i also intend to get hold of - their subsidy payments should be withheld pending outcome of investigation into thses fires.. i'm sick of this year after year.

yes James Lakes may have some authority and hes strict and would check it out thoroughly. yes, those farmers have grazing rights. i may be wrong but i think that on mount leinster there are very few farmers operating up there with sheep. maybe its malicious - as i am farmer and one has to abide very strictly by all rules and regulations by the dept of agriculture - whether we like it or not. any decent person will not upset the countryside, as the last post mentioned it is not the correct time of the year for burning etc. anyhow - its a worry as these fires could spread to families etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Noone knows who or who is not doing it. James would have the right but does not have the time to be up on mount leinster watching for this activity. You would think that a point in the county with a tourist appeal would have some governing body watching it. Regardless of who is performing the acts, and the farmers in the area would all know each other and i live there so i would doubt that it was started by a farmer, this act is extremely dangerous. People can be killed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dollybla

it was the hill infron tof mt leinster that was on fire. tom duff hill. but theres another fire actually on the mt leinster to night. watching out my window right now. saw fire engine lights flashing awhile ago. i think it is the farmners. or else young stupid people. farmers used to burn it years ago when it was legal. they were actually controlled fire to make grass grow. but it just ruins the land. i was up there few days ago. everywhere on tome duff is black. the smell is horrible. think og all the poor little animals killed. it makes me so angry. who ever stared these fres should be tied to the mast and have a fire lit under them...........wont burnt them but just scare the crap out of them. the fire seems to be under control and alot smaller then last weeks. ill try put up a pic of last weeks one

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Bog Man 1

Frequent small fires are a good idea on scrub land area. Fire should be allowed all year round to stop vegetation getting to high. When vegetation grows too high eventually there will be a fire and there is more damage done the less frequent the fire . In America research has shown that the cause of big damaging fires is the lack of small more frequent fires which do less damage to wildlife.Small frequent fires pass by quickly but if they are constantly extinguished a build up of vegetation occurs and the amount of combustible material present provides fuel for a long burning fire which damages wildlife.
    In wicklow a few years ago it was the firemen themselves that were setting fire to the mountain to boost their own income. Criminal charges were brought against them and some were convicted and received a jail sentence.
    The litter warden has enough problems without getting involved in unnecessary wildlife issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

Bog Man 1 wrote: »
    In America research has shown that the cause of big damaging fires is the lack of small more frequent fires which do less damage to wildlife.Small frequent fires pass by quickly but if they are constantly extinguished a build up of vegetation occurs and the amount of combustible material present provides fuel for a long burning fire which damages wildlife.

I suspect that the research you are refering to concerns mature american woodlands and not open Irish mountainside.
    These woodlands have species that have developed a resistance to fire and actually rely on fire to help germinate their seeds.
    Interference by man in the form of fire prevention in these woodlands has caused the build up of undergrowth that when it does eventually catch fire burns far hotter that normal and can kill the trees.

Advertisement