Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Designs for life

Options
  • 12-04-2010 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭

this is on rte at the moment, a couple paid E405 in 2006 for a 1970's bungalow that required modernisation, they get an architect involved. After 10 months of procrastinating, they decide to demolish it after the cheapest quote they get to revamp the 3700 sq foot property is 750k! They project managed themselves. Is anyone else watching this, this is jaw dropping!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭earlyevening

Its 5000 sq feet now! I hope their business is still trading. It looks like they're up to their eye balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Idbatterim wrote: »
    E405
    €405,000?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

I PRESUME it was on southside dublin, 405 is alot to pay for a bungalow.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Ye gods- is it any wonder RTE have cancelled most of their 'Location-location-location' type programmes (I think they had at least 5 different variants running at the peak.....) I suppose this is a rerun?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

Watched this last night. €405k to buy the bungalow, nearly 700k to knock it and rebuild. The best part of €1.1 million and it sill looked awful. Those were the days. :D

The house/site was in Killaloe, Co Clare. Did anyone mention negative equity?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I meant €405,000. I cant believe the total disregard architects have for money! He had his own vision, and the cost didnt even come into it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

TommyT wrote: »
    Watched this last night. €405k to buy the bungalow, nearly 700k to knock it and rebuild. The best part of €1.1 million and it sill looked awful. Those were the days. :D

The house/site was in Killaloe, Co Clare. Did anyone mention negative equity?

Where's their NAMA :rolleyes:

fontanalis wrote: »

Somewhere way behind their common sense. The house was only finished a year ago, though it was bought at the height of the boom.

Someone else mentioned the architects disregard for money. Watch the episode were the hotel manager is renovating the house in Cork. At one stage they were about €100k over budget and the architect just tried to brush it off as if it was nothing. The client finally accepted it as one of those things. Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Don't have a TV near me at the moment to turn on, but is this the architect who has the programme on RTÉ at the moment where he draws up designs for the 'transformation' of their homes based on the budget they give him. Only to have him go way beyond their budget?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

When is this one? Is it on the Player? I wonder when the programs were made?

• Advertisement

http://www.rte.ie/tv/designsforlife/

The series was orignally shown last year. It was fimed from 2006 to 2009.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

I wouldn't worry about the couple. They have high end bathroom fittings so they won't need to refit for a good few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

I watched this the other night also...sheer madness!

Out of all the programmes I have seen recently it probably summed the 'living way beyond our means culture' best when it came to property and easy access to credit.

After all the stress and money spent the family didn't even look that happy, the house didn't even look that impressive....I rekon it had taken its toll.

The architects Murray O'laoire Architects have gone into liquidation in the last few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Apart from the money, what a horrible waste of design. They built something that was restricted in design because of the constraints and limitations of the original house. Then they knock the original but still build the laboured and restricted design on the new blank canvas. The architect himself must be gutted that they didn't just allow him to design from scratch like he asked them to originally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Just wathced the killaloe one there. The fella complaining that selling or building a house is the most stressful time in a persons life. And the fat that hes doing both at the same time is very tough for him.........Unreal thinking here. nowhere forced them to do any of it. And the presenter says that we should have respect for what they are trying to achieve!!!! either the couple building it are working fabulous jobs for coca cola international or their off their trolleys. Have absolutly no sympathy for these kind of people. I couldnt even afford one of their bedrooms and ive a job for life.........wooo am all flustered now!

Stupid Stupid Stupid! And the worst thing is were gonna end up forking out for these mad schemes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

I'd love to see the Liz O Kane show and her crazy advice show again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Probably on the way, unfortunately.

Advertisement