Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheat free or gluten free pizza base in Galway take away or restaurant?

Options
  • 12-04-2010 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,954 ✭✭✭

Where can I get one, if anywhere?

In particular does any pizza place that delivers do a wheat free or gluten free base ?

I know someone who is yearning for a pizza she doesn't have to make herself that won't make her sick . :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

Monroe's does gluten free pizzas, they have a new place 'Pizza Pizza' on Mary Street that deliver 091 895702.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭stunt_penguin

^ seconded, Monroes do some of the best pizza in town, too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,954 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Thats excellent news. I'll definitely be trying Monroes out so. Great that they deliver too. I know someone who'll be thrilled. :)
    Thank you hairyfairy00 and stunt_penguin

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭amz5

Beware! I went to Monroes with my friend who is a coeliac and we both ordered pizza. We went into the bar and waited for our pizza, and ordered a bottle of wine. My pizza arrived and the guy working there told my friend that there were no gluten free bases. Did she want a plain pizza with no toppings. As I'm sure you can imagine she wasn't impressed as a)This suggested that they thought that the gluten free aspect was just a request rather than a necessity for the person. And b) surely they could have told us before my pizza arrived. We were out on a Friday evening and we wanted to get casual dinner out. After about 10 minutes, which also involved talking to other staff members they agreed to return my pizza, but we had to pay for the wine (I was ok with that to a certain extent as we had drank some of it, but at the same time we didn't want to drink a bottle of wine with no food). I didn't want my pizza as obviously we had to go somewhere else to get dinner and I wouldn't be able to sit somewhere else watching her eat. And she was starving, so didn't want to watch me eating.

I don't know where else does gluten free pizzas, but I do know that the King's Head has good gluten free options including a gluten free chocolate cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Apache in Dublin does Gluten Free bases in some branches, so they might do in Galway as well? They don't advertise this fact, just ask when you ring them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Mustard used to do them in their old premises so probably still do. However once again BEWARE! First of all they brought my ex a regular pizza by mistake so she had to watch while I ate mine and I had to look on when she eventually got hers. She said it wasnt great though and they charged her 2euro extra for the gluten free base. Also we asked could we bring in our own bottle of cider as she couldnt have the beer there and we got looked at like she had two heads and rudely told 'No Way'. Suffice to say that was my last Mustard visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,954 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Thanks for the replies everyone. I will tell her to look into those places but definitely to be careful and make sure what she is given is definitely gluten free. It's surprising there's so much ignorance about coeliac disease considing that it's particularly prevalent in the west of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I didn't know that Monroes on Dom St ever offered gluten free ones..the same folks *also* own the one on Mary St, which does do gluten free for sure, as a friend gets them. She says the bases are only so so, but she's happy to get them at all as pizza is a treat. Toppings good.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭amz5

The Cottage in Salthill have gluten free beer and I saw a g beside a good few things on their menu last time I was there.

Gluten free awareness is fairly bad alright, because sometimes the staff don't know that cross contamination can occur if they use the same board/knives to cut gluten free pizza or make gluten free sandwiches even when they have the gluten free products. Lots of people seem to think it's a diet, and my friend has had people throw their eyes up to heaven when she's asked very politely if they could use a clean knife/board to make her sandwich.

There's somebody out in Tuam that makes fresh gluten free bread and supplies some of the supermarkets around city. Providence has gluten free bread. Buskers can do gluten free platters for parties. Tesco has a particularly cheap range of gluten free products. Glutafin (I think that's the spelling) had a very good gluten free demonstration with lots of samples in the Clybaun hotel a few months ago, so they might have one again. I think they had pizza at it...anyways I think I'm a bit off topic!

Ireland isn't the worst though. The same friend was asked if she wanted a vegetarian meal becausse they hadn't ordered her gluten free meal on a Qantas flight. She sent a salad back in the US because they put croutons on it, and when the waitress came back with crouton free salad she said the chef had said to tell her there'd been no flour/gluten in the croutons, they were just bread...

Advertisement