Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best flip (can be opened) lid?

• 12-04-2010 11:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭

Im having a look around.

I dont want blue tooth, just a flip open lid.

Anyone love their flip lid?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Despise them, full face is the only way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Despise them, full face is the only way to go.

I only do short distance / leisure runs.

Each to their won, but you are wrong KamiKazi !!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

worded wrote: »

I'm wrong about my opinion yeah? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I wasn't aware that short distance/ leisure runs makes you immune from accidents.

Full lid is far far safer. Read up on it.

Im right, your wrong, Im right, your wrong ..........

Ah people I know you are right safety wise. I find the full face lids restrict vision. I like the open air feeling.

Please can someone recomend a open face lid?

I dont want safety advice.

• Advertisement

http://www.caberglids.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=87&products_id=307

There you go. Now you can throw that on with your sneakers, normal gloves, jeans and cut off sleeved leather jacket. Looking cool. Ahhhh yeahhh.

http://www.caberglids.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=87&products_id=307

There you go. Now you can throw that on with your sneakers, normal gloves, jeans and cut off sleeved leather jacket. Looking cool. Ahhhh yeahhh.

I like the ones with a flip down sun visor as well, and optional flip down thingy that makes it a full face.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Try1ng

I had a kbc flip and it was very good. Recently got a nolan, louder put has the integrated sun visor.
    Either are good imo.

Best of luck with your purchase

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

he's not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I'm not a fan either but the lad asked for recommendations.. i've heard the roof ones are supposed to be the best - the caberg is supposed to be good too - I've the caberg V2R (full face) and if the flip is as comfortable it'd be a good buy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

I have a roof helmet, find it very comfortable, and you can have it open or closed, ie full face.

Pataman wrote: »
    I have a roof helmet, find it very comfortable, and you can have it open or closed, ie full face.

Open face helmets have little to no face protection, if you crash you aint going to look pretty anymore.

Flip up helmets are dubious. Although they give the impression of providing full face cover, I just don't think their locking mechanisms are capable of remaining closed during high damage impacts. They also are well down on their ability to dissipate the force of a impacts across the helmet as the front is structurally independent. Edit, oh and if you ride with them up you stand a way better chance of snapping your neck in a off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Open face helmets have little to no face protection, if you crash you aint going to look pretty anymore.

Flip up helmets are dubious. Although they give the impression of providing full face cover, I just don't think their locking mechanisms are capable of remaining closed during high damage impacts. They also are well down on their ability to dissipate the force of a impacts across the helmet as the front is structurally independent. Edit, oh and if you ride with them up you stand a way better chance of snapping your neck in a off.

The SHARP tests had some interesting data on how often these style of helmets stayed closed in an impact test (they call them "system" helmets for some reason, the only one I see that got 100% was the BMW System 5 (pricey lid, that), and some of them were very low. Combine that with the 30% chance of impact on the chin part of the helmet in a crash.

Obviously, it's up to the individual what they choose to wear - but I've never found a full face makes any difference in my field of vision, and it's a lot more comfortable than getting bugs / stone / hail in the face at any speed.
    Edit, oh and if you ride with them up you stand a way better chance of snapping your neck in a off.

That's a very good point alright, tests have shown that the smoother the helmet is, the better, and anything that might snag or catch the ground as it slides along makes it less effective. Some of the flip ups looks like they'd catch the ground if you hit at the wrong angle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭alanmc

I've got a Roof Boxer. When the chin guard is down (and clipped shut) it's "supposed" to be as safe as a full-face in an off. I've had it for about 2 years now. Good lid.

However .....

It is very noisy at motorway speeds. It doesn't seem to insulate against the wind noise as well as my old Arashi full-face. I find myseld reaching for ear-plugs when going on long trips.

The chin guard when it's closed is *very* close to your chin. Sometimes uncomfortably so.

The visor needs to be pulled down *before* the chin guard to provide a full watertight seal. It is very stiff to just flip up and down if you want some wind in your face.

My next lid will be a full face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭gipi

I have a Schuberth C3 flip helmet which I find very comfortable and fairly quiet (although like alanmc said can be noisy on the motorway at speed). Has the integrated sun visor, and pinlock insert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

gipi wrote: »
    I have a Schuberth C3 flip helmet which I find very comfortable and fairly quiet (although like alanmc said can be noisy on the motorway at speed). Has the integrated sun visor, and pinlock insert.

I should be getting one of those soon, really like the look of the matte black one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 mattblacktiger

Got a roof boxer and really like it.
    roomy lid and fits really well
    Over here stateside when I'm travelling
    I'll sometimes go without a lid
    personal choice and freedoms and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

KTRIC wrote: »
    I should be getting one of those soon, really like the look of the matte black one :)

i have the schuy matt black r1 and it is whisper quiet up to 90 as long as you weay a scarf under it(as per thier instructions)

i love it its comfy and practical

although my carbon craft is still way cooler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

Another vote for the Roof Boxer, I have one in black. I wear it down full-faced most of the time though. The safety rating is surprising good on that survey in a previous post.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I have a flip lid - it's a Caberg Trip. Few people I know have them and we all think they are excellent. I wear glasses and trying to get your helmet on and your glasses is a serious pain in the ass. at least with a flip you can put it on and then close the lid. I rarely drive with it open though. it has a double visor thing too which is really handy

I'm sure they are not as strong as a full face but i hardly think they are dangerous. My one gets a 5 star rating just like the BMW one and its a fraction of the price.
    http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/search/details/?id=110

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

I have a BMW System 5 flip-up. If I met the designer I'd hit him over the head with it. Lousy design, guaranteed the space around yer ears will fill with all sorts of winged critters in summer.
    If I hadn't got it for free I'd be looking for my money back.
    I've heard good things about Roof though..

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Just shows expensive doesn't always mean good. A lot of people seem to think so though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

BMW helmets are made by Schuberth - I'd guess theres very little difference in quality, but there is a bit of a difference in price.

It's strange, when you look into it, how many of the big name brands in motorcycling, including gear and actual bike manufacturers, have parts and so on made by companies with no reputation, or in a factory in China.

I suppose people rely on their quality control meaning standards are higher, or are taken in by the marketing.

It's an awful pity some of the Chinese manufacturers don't get their act together and start making some higher quality bikes - the Koreans seem to have copped on to this in the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

I've a white roof boxer v and a shark evoline as well as an rsr2.Of the 2 flip ups I prefer the roof for summer weather and the shark for ****ty weather but it's all up to preference. The shark while it is a nice helmet has too many gimmicky things that are half designed,ie the internal sunvisor that is too short for a low sun,the visor seal that locks the visor like glue.The roof could be better for design wise,the chin guard sits awful close to your chin when closed as previously mentioned,I've heard of people breaking off the plastic straps very easily but there has been no problem with mine.
    If I was in your situation as well with short commutering I'd have the flip up on all the time,very handy for going in for petrol and stuff.

Good luck with your decision.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

My father swears by his Roof Boxer and has done since they came out first. He had a fairly serious off a couple of years back and it stood up well. Good quality gear ,including the lid, saved his life that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I have a Nolan N102 for 3 years, reckon I'll replace it in a few months with the newer version, great lid. Got it on fc-moto, here's the newer version: http://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/10207048/Categories/motorradhelme-Helmets/Nolan-Helmets/Nolan-N103
    I tried it on in Hein Gericke and bought it on fc-moto, saved about €30, but fc-moto had way more colours where as Hein Gericke only had 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Iv'e a Caberg and find it nice to be able to open it while i'm sitting in traffic, especially on a sunny day, each one to their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

marlin vs wrote: »
    Iv'e a Caberg and find it nice to be able to open it while i'm sitting in traffic, especially on a sunny day, each one to their own.

Yeah, I wouldn't get a non flip-up ever again, they're fantastic. Great to be able to open it when you get to a town or something. You can leave it on when getting petrol too or when you need to talk to someone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,367 ✭✭✭bladespin

Carberg Justissimo (similar to the trip), excellent lid, very comfortable and safe (tested in Bike and many other mags, performed well in all).

TBH I always have it closed when out on a run but love to be able to open it in slow traffic and when stopped.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

Advertisement