Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best flip (can be opened) lid?

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

iirc the only difference between the Trip and the Justissimo is that the Justissimo can remove the front flip perminantly, and it nativly takes bluetooth. Not worth the extra money imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,367 ✭✭✭bladespin

Zascar wrote: »
    iirc the only difference between the Trip and the Justissimo is that the Justissimo can remove the front flip perminantly, and it nativly takes bluetooth. Not worth the extra money imo

I don't think that's right, the main difference is the vents, you can't take the flip off a justissimo.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Oh ok, how are the vents different?

I'm actually thinking of getting a new lid myself but what are my options if I want something like the Caberg Trip, is it the best in its range or are there better alternatives?

Oh ok, how are the vents different?

I'm actually thinking of getting a new lid myself but what are my options if I want something like the Caberg Trip, is it the best in its range or are there better alternatives?

Not exactly sure of the differences, just the design around the mouthguard.

I have a justissimo myself, it's right up there, it's the most comfortable lids I've ever owned, it's finish is excellent, I'm using Shoei as my standard here and it stood up well. Schuberth would be the competition but they're very expensive for a similar quality lid.

The sun visor looks dead cool too :cool: (sorry fashion victim in training)

Just remember flips are all noisy by design so you'll need earplugs to save your ears.

Lads one of my mates got this helmet the other day and says its great:

Duchini D619 - it's a flip with double visor - and intergrated bluetooth!
    It's €169 in Cotters which seems like amazing value!
    http://www.cottermc.com/webshop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_250&products_id=1353
    I'm not to keen on the high gloss finish though really. Still they are a lot of helmet for the money.

The only thing is, I looked on that helmet safety page, this particular model is not listed but the 601 only get 1 star. :( hmmmmm
    What do you think?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

http://www.cottermc.com/webshop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_250&products_id=1353
    I'm not to keen on the high gloss finish though really. Still they are a lot of helmet for the money.

The only thing is, I looked on that helmet safety page, this particular model is not listed but the 601 only get 1 star. :( hmmmmm
    What do you think?

Not a bad price, do they do a full face version? How's the bluetooth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

What do you think?
    Looks like savage value with bluetooth. Maybe just google the helmet? Maybe a bike magazine reviewed it somewhere?

That I did, did not come up[ with much. Strange I thought it would have got more attention than it has considering the features and price...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭alanmc

What do you think?

Found this link: http://www.mandp.co.uk/productinfo/239950/Clothing-and-Helmets/Helmets-Flip/Duchinni

Note the review that someone has left ...

2 stars
    Very comfortable but unstable at Mway speeds Very Very noisy leaks like a colander but what can you expect for the price?

Bluetooth wouldn't be much good to me on the motorway if this review is to be believed.

Zascar, maybe your mate can provide us with a small review? I like the look of it and the feature list is pretty comprehensive.

Hmm... Well he's only brand new to Biking but I'll see what he says

Can anyone who is a member on the other forums post and see what peeps over there say?

• Advertisement

Why on earth would anyone want bluetooth in a helmet? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭alanmc

bladespin wrote: »

Someitmes you just have to take that call. Hehehehe!

Great excuse for work. "I missed your call? .... I was on the bike".

I've heard from friends it's well handy to have to answer a quick call - however mainly it integrates into your satnav if you want and can also work as an intercom between 2 helmets (no idea how this works though). Or you can play music through your phone if you want too.

Looking at other options, the Caberg Trip which is what I have now, has been replaced for 2010 with the Konda

http://www.caberg-helm.com/products/caberg_konda.php
    http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/caberg-konda/

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Strom

I have a schuberth C2, find it very good, I had a Caberg Justissimo before that, it was good, but heavy and let in a good bit of water around the visor, it also was a feck to fog up. If you have the cash go for the C3, the only flip thats race approved and the quietest lid, full or flip on the market and pin lock.

As for the bluetooth, I've autocom and bluetooth. Its great when you've someone on the back and its class to be able to go on a ride out with a mate and be able to talk at times with him (bike to bike)

I also find it very good to take a call or two when I'm heading away for a few day on the bike, makes everyone at home happy that if they are worried they can just call and make sure some fecker in a cage hasn't used me as a target. (Which they did last weekend, but I was very lucky)

There's a site called gear4bikers.co.uk or helmet city. I got mine from gear4bikers for £175 (I think) it was just under 200 euro.

There are great deals around, or if you can wait, go to the bike show in the NEC, I got a Arai Tour there last year again for under 200 euro. Again, they are a great lid but not a flip.

Strom wrote: »
    I have a schuberth C2, find it very good, I had a Caberg Justissimo before that, it was good, but heavy and let in a good bit of water around the visor, it also was a feck to fog up. If you have the cash go for the C3, the only flip thats race approved and the quietest lid, full or flip on the market and pin lock.

Aren't all helmets with the ACU gold stamp approved for racing?
    Been out a few times with the Carberg and haven't had any hassle from scrutineering.

I'm not sure bladespin, But it is whats on the sites selling them and is what I've heard from talking to others. But it could of course be pure shi== put of as a marketing stunt.

I'm not sure bladespin, But it is whats on the sites selling them and is what I've heard from talking to others. But it could of course be pure shi== put of as a marketing stunt.

It's BS, have a read of the ACU's regulations, many flips qualify.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/acu-gold-sticker.htm

Came across the above after a bit more trawling -

The ACU Gold sticker has been recognized by many worldwide motorcycle racing governance bodies as a high-level helmet safety standard for motorcycle racing; many of those organizations will only allow motorcycle racers to use helmets with the ACU Gold sticker.

ACU Gold stickers were normally awarded to motorcycle helmets meeting the BSI Type A safety standard, while the ACU Silver stickers were awarded to helmets meeting the BSI Type B standard. But with the adoption of the ECE 22.05 safety standards, the Silver sticker had been discontinued.

However, it was recently found that the ACU has been selling ACU Gold stickers to distributors of many different types of motorcycle helmets whether or not they met BSI Type A. It was claimed that since the ACU received a royalty for the use of the sticker that they were devaluing the worth of the ACU Gold sticker by selling them to many undeserving motorcycle helmet manufacturers.

To ACU's credit, they have decided to abandon this strategy and attempt to bring back the value of the sticker as a label of confidence to the consumer that the helmet does indeed meet certain safety standards.

The plan is to have a new ACU five star rating for motorcycle helmet safety crash testing. Helmets sold in the UK will now be awarded 1 to 5 stars, depending upon its ability to pass certain tests that are a combination of Snell and ECE 22.05 regulations.

NOTE: This is a developing story. It's unclear at this point what the new label may look like or what it will be called.

But as you said, they are letting them in at the moment. But back to the point!

They are a good flip regardless of the spin the company puts out.

• Advertisement

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/acu-gold-sticker.htm

Came across the above after a bit more trawling -

The ACU Gold sticker has been recognized by many worldwide motorcycle racing governance bodies as a high-level helmet safety standard for motorcycle racing; many of those organizations will only allow motorcycle racers to use helmets with the ACU Gold sticker.

ACU Gold stickers were normally awarded to motorcycle helmets meeting the BSI Type A safety standard, while the ACU Silver stickers were awarded to helmets meeting the BSI Type B standard. But with the adoption of the ECE 22.05 safety standards, the Silver sticker had been discontinued.

However, it was recently found that the ACU has been selling ACU Gold stickers to distributors of many different types of motorcycle helmets whether or not they met BSI Type A. It was claimed that since the ACU received a royalty for the use of the sticker that they were devaluing the worth of the ACU Gold sticker by selling them to many undeserving motorcycle helmet manufacturers.

To ACU's credit, they have decided to abandon this strategy and attempt to bring back the value of the sticker as a label of confidence to the consumer that the helmet does indeed meet certain safety standards.

The plan is to have a new ACU five star rating for motorcycle helmet safety crash testing. Helmets sold in the UK will now be awarded 1 to 5 stars, depending upon its ability to pass certain tests that are a combination of Snell and ECE 22.05 regulations.

NOTE: This is a developing story. It's unclear at this point what the new label may look like or what it will be called.

But as you said, they are letting them in at the moment. But back to the point!

They are a good flip regardless of the spin the company puts out.

Heard that alright but Carberg and Nolan aren't stickered by their distributors, the factory applies the Gold sticker, the sticker it was awarded by the ACU, not one they bought.

Be very careful what you insinuate, especially against reputable brands, the controversy you refer to was over non EU imports being stickered by shops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Despise them, full face is the only way to go.
    I wasn't aware that short distance/ leisure runs makes you immune from accidents.

Full lid is far far safer. Read up on it.
    Open face helmets have little to no face protection, if you crash you aint going to look pretty anymore.
    it's sad when people don't read OP's post properly. A flip lid IS a full face helmet. It opens, for convenience.
    Flip up helmets are dubious. Although they give the impression of providing full face cover, I just don't think their locking mechanisms are capable of remaining closed during high damage impacts. They also are well down on their ability to dissipate the force of a impacts across the helmet as the front is structurally independent. Edit, oh and if you ride with them up you stand a way better chance of snapping your neck in a off.
    Proof please or it's b.s. And not all 'flip' helmets are created equal. There are two types: full face helmets that open, e.g. Schubert (which I have), states specifically that it is not for riding, open. It opens, as I said, for convenience. The 2nd type, e.g. some Roof models, are indeed open face helmets, but with a 'flipable' chin bar, for style/weather/etc.
    Just remember flips are all noisy by design so you'll need earplugs to save your ears.
    Good idea to wear them all the time, tbh, irrespective of helmet type.......
    KamiKazi wrote: »
    Not a bad price, do they do a full face version? How's the bluetooth?
    That IS full face helmet. It just happens to open, for convenience. It is for riding with chin-piece down.

GPS, Phone, iPod (maybe).

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »

GPS, Phone, iPod (maybe).

Once again, Why would you want any of that rubbish interfering with riding the bike?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Once again, Why would you want any of that rubbish interfering with riding the bike?

simple answer is that a) you don't get lost, b) you can keep in touch, and c) to make the experience more enjoyable.

d), which I've just thought of, is with a passenger, to communicate. They don't all want to be shouting/kicked in the shins-as-a-form-of-code ! :D

e) would be for communicating via 2-way.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Gotta have music on boring motorway trips

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Proof please or it's b.s. And not all 'flip' helmets are created equal. There are two types: full face helmets that open, e.g. Schubert (which I have), states specifically that it is not for riding, open. It opens, as I said, for convenience. The 2nd type, e.g. some Roof models, are indeed open face helmets, but with a 'flipable' chin bar, for style/weather/etc.

I was wondering why my new Schuberth C3 feels a bit odd when its open. It looks like a full face helmet anyway.

I really can't see why anyone would want to drive with an open face helmet, its really dangerous. I'd rather have the helmet take the rash over my lovely face :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Sharp safety tests rate a flip-up ability to keep the lid closed during a impact. In lab conditions the best helmets(BMW and Carberg) were rated at 90% or above to remain closed. The best was the BMW system 5 which was at 100%(others have this but fail in other areas). The worst is 23%. After impact with the flip opening up your face is unprotected and the risk of the now exposed sharp edges catching increase the chance of severe neck injury. I don't need to provide proof, its common sense and collision physics. I can't wait for when they do open face helmets as they will more likely have to create a new lower system for them to be actually rated.

As for force dissipation, its the main basis for how helmets are created. The impact/force applied to the helmet in a crash is spread across the surface area of the helmet rather then directly to the head. Because of the physical separation around the face area on system or flip up helmets, this area of energy dissipation while in a crash is lessened. You are also creating a larger part of the helmet(the joining seams) which can transmit this energy directly to the head rather ignoring the entire concept of the helmet.

While using the Sharp tests as a example without knowing exactly how they test the helmets and the possible factors which could happen in a crash which might not be replicated in a real world encounter I have my doubts as to the validity of the entire flip up concept. So I'm sticking to a full face helmet. I don't view the pros of a flip up to be better then the cons.

KTRIC wrote: »
    I was wondering why my new Schuberth C3 feels a bit odd when its open. It looks like a full face helmet anyway.

I really can't see why anyone would want to drive with an open face helmet, its really dangerous. I'd rather have the helmet take the rash over my lovely face :p

Should try a spin without a helmet :D After that it's never quite as good when you've a lid on.

Everything's dangerous, it's up to the individual how much they want to risk.

Advertisement