Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this shrub/hedge dead - frost damage

Options
  • 12-04-2010 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have hedging which has suffered very bad fron the extended spell of frost. I was hoping that it would have improved over the last week or two but I cannot see any. I grew it from cuttings a few years back and I think it is a type of Hebe called Veronica, but this may not be its name.

screen01apr122307.jpg

The leaves have dried out and appear as if they are about to fall off.

And now for the question, do any of you believe that it will recover??

Thanks for your time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Yes, it is a Hebe and they are not completely hardy. I have this as a hedge in my own garden an it has suffered in the same way even though I'm close to the sea. I will give it until the end of May and then cut it back hard but you could just remove the damaged branches.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

bmaxi wrote: »
    Yes, it is a Hebe and they are not completely hardy. I have this as a hedge in my own garden an it has suffered in the same way even though I'm close to the sea. I will give it until the end of May and then cut it back hard but you could just remove the damaged branches.
    Thanks bmaxi, will wait also. Is there anything that I can do to help it recover?

edit
    I am also very close to the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Thanks bmaxi, will wait also. Is there anything that I can do to help it recover?

edit
    I am also very close to the sea.
    leave it for a while
    as it may only be the leaves that got it
    as they would have sheltered the rest of the plant from the worst
    they should grow back
    the same happened me
    i can see my plant is alive, as i cut back into one of the branches and they are green
    leave it to recover, feed it clear off some of the leaves that died to leave in some light

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

We had a remarkable event here in that all of these Hebes, in my client's gardens, did this during a seven day period. The gardens are spread over a 20 mile area & each Hebe was in a different position. The other varieties were OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

goat2 wrote: »
    leave it for a while
    as it may only be the leaves that got it
    as they would have sheltered the rest of the plant from the worst
    they should grow back
    the same happened me
    i can see my plant is alive, as i cut back into one of the branches and they are green
    leave it to recover, feed it clear off some of the leaves that died to leave in some light
    Discodog wrote: »
    We had a remarkable event here in that all of these Hebes, in my client's gardens, did this during a seven day period. The gardens are spread over a 20 mile area & each Hebe was in a different position. The other varieties were OK.

Thanks for your help, will give them some feed and wait.

• Advertisement
Advertisement