Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to start running again...GO!!

Options
  • 12-04-2010 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭

Hello there! I started the C25K a few weeks ago and I'm absolutely loving it! Who knew that jogging was so enjoyable! So, its about time that I started my own fitness thread! I'm on week 6 now so I'll just give a quick summary of the first few weeks:

Week 1: I found this week really hard as I didn't have the podcast (I didn't know any existed) and was trying to count out the time as I jogged which isn't very easy!

Week 2: This week I found a bit easier as I had the podcast.

Week 3 + 4: These were the weeks that I enjoyed the most, so far anyway. I had really got into a good rhythm and pace and found that I was able to sing or think away to myself without worrying about the length of the run. For some of the runs in these weeks I felt I could have run a bit further than I was supposed to but I didn't as I didn't want to overdo it!
    Got my new proper runners during week 4 and the difference they made to my jogging was amazing! They have gel cushions and that makes them more bouncy which helps loads when I'm jogging!

Week 5 started off slightly bad, I had a bit of an akward run for W5D1, I just wasn't comfortable for some of the runs. It was the day after Easter Sunday and while I hadn't indulged much, I had gone for a 2 hour walk and went out clubbing that night and did plenty of dancing (sober) so my legs were probably not happy!
    W5D2 went really well though so I got back to normal pretty quickly. I was worried about the 20min run on W5D3, as I didn't feel ready for it but as usual it went really well and I really enjoyed it too!

(For more background on moi, head on over to my food diary thread '10stone in 2010') :D
    Stats: Female, 5foot 5, 10 stone 12

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭brainyneuron

Monday 12th April
    Morning-9am (before breakfast): W6D1 (walk 10mins, [Jog5,w3,j8,w3,j5], walk 20mins).
    Got out for my run this morning (W6D1) in the gorgeous sunshine. biggrin.gif Was a bit cold still though which was grand as I prob wouldn't be able to do it in the heat! eek.gif The first five min run was hard, I got out of breath really quickly and it just felt uncomfortable. I was glad of the break when the walk came. The 2nd and 3rd runs were great though (8min and 5min) so enjoyed myself overall biggrin.gif

Day 1 Firm abs, Flat tummy programme (10 ab tilts, 20 back extensions)

Afternoon ~3pm-1min jumping on newly bought Trampette (Testing out my new toy!)

Evening After 8pm 20-30min semi gentle walk :D

Tuesday 13th April
    Before breakfast: Half hour walk, 5 min cycle

So today is a rest day from C25K and ordinarily I would just go for an hour walk but today I thought I would do a half hour walk and a half hour cycle. Didn't get the cycle done though as the tyres decided to deflate 5 mins into it! :eek: Must invest in a bicycle pump!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

hey great to see you've started a fitness log.

Looking forward to watching your progress

Good luck :)

Thanks Dollie! Two days in and I forget about it! Here we go again anyway!

Wednesday 14th April
    W6D2 C25K
    This was 10min warm up walk, 10 min jog, 3 min walk, 10 min jog and 10 min cool down walk. Found the first few mins of the first run tough but then got into it and enjoyed the rest.

Thursday 15th April
    1 hr walk (with the 2nd half mostly uphill), had my pedometer on and it read 8000 steps after the walk.

Day 3 Flat tummy, firm abs programme-
    Side bends with weights-20 reps each side
    10 Ab tilts
    10 Back extensions
    20 Basic sit ups

Haven't posted in a month oops! Finished the C25K program last week which I'm delighted with. Had no problems up till the end of week 8, I did a 5K race/funrun in Salthill and jogged 36mins in total which was a big increase from the 28mins in week 8 (well big increase for me anyway!). This affected my left calf and it took a week of rest to be able to get back into it and start week 9.

Starting the HalHingdon 10K program this week so Week 1 is:
    Mon Stretch and Strength
    Tues 2.5m run
    Wed 30 min cross
    Thurs 2m run + strength
    Fri Rest
    Sat 40 min cross
    Sun 3m run

But I prefer to have my runs on Mon, Wed, Fri so my plan for the week is:
    Mon: 2.5m run
    Tues: 30min crosstraining (walk)
    Wed: 2mile run + yoga
    Thurs: Rest
    Fri: 3m run
    Sat: Stretch + Strength (Yoga)
    Sun: 40min cross (Walk/cycle/swim)

• Advertisement

Monday May 17th
    Day 1 HH 10K Program
    Should have been 2.5mile run but was travelling down from derry and my legs were a bit stiff from the 5hour journey. Could have probably kept going but didn't want to push it (and cos I had dancing rehersals that evening) so the result:

Evening
    1.5 mile jog with 15 mins walk (5 min warm up and 10 min walk home after)
    Later:
    2.5 hours dance

Tuesday 18th May
    Day 2 HH program: 30 min cross

Morning: 20 mins walk
    Evening: 2hrs dance

Jaysus! Another 2 hours dance:eek: You'll be fitter than Hal himself by the end of this!:D

Haha I highly doubt it! Will be doing it twice a week till the end of June. (getting tired just thinking about it :eek::D)

Wednesday 19th May
    Week 1 Day 3
    Morning: 2 mile jog in 22.38 + 20 min walk (warm up and down)

Wasn't the best jog i've run, felt like giving up for most of it but stuck with it and am glad I did. Was breathing really heavily by the end of it. Was a bit warm out and I'd say I was a bit tired from the dancing the last few days. Hopefully I'll be ok for the 3mile on Friday

Evening: 40 min walk

• Advertisement

Thursday 20th May
    Week 1 Day 4
    Morning: 30min walk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭newsizedbooty

Hi braineyN, havent posted in awhile but been running away myself. I finished c25k awhile back and its grand to just get out and run. Will be doing 4.5miles in the cork marathon in a relay and am well able for it, cant wait for the buzz on the day!

Hi braineyN, havent posted in awhile but been running away myself. I finished c25k awhile back and its grand to just get out and run. Will be doing 4.5miles in the cork marathon in a relay and am well able for it, cant wait for the buzz on the day!

Wow, thats mad, best of luck for it! After C25K have you been following a training plan or are u just doing your own thing? Doing the Hal Hingdon 10K program and have registered for a 5mile race on the 17th July in Dublin :eek::D

Friday 21st May
    Week 1 Day 5
    Aim:3 mile jog

~3.1/5K jog in 34:17.34 (new PB :D)

Got up early this morning to avoid the heat but amazingly it was still quite humid at half 7/8am! Again I found this run tough, not on the legs but mentally, I think its that I don't have a podcast telling me when to run/walk and there's less defined structure to the runs. I guess it'll take a while to adjust to the new program. Kept myself going though by making mini goals along the way-just keep going to the next lamppost etc In the end I added a small bit on to the end of the run to get to the 5K mark, just to show myself I could do it!

Saturday 22 May
    Week 1 Day 6
    Morning: 20 min walk Evening: 45 min walk

Sunday 23rd May
    Week 1 Day 7
    20 min walk

Week 2 of Hal Higdon
    Mon: Stretch & strength
    Tues: 2.5 m run
    Wed: 30 min cross
    Thurs: 2 m run + strength
    Fri: Rest
    Sat: 40 min cross
    Sun: 3.5 m run

Modified plan:
    Mon: 2.5m run
    Tues: Rest
    Wed: 2mile run + yoga
    Thurs: 30min crosstraining (walk)
    Fri: 3.5m run
    Sat: Stretch + Strength (Yoga)
    Sun: 40min cross (Walk/cycle/swim)

Monday 24th May
    Week 2 Day 1
    Aim: 2.5 mile jog
    2.5m/4K jog in 29:13
    30min dancing

Tuesday 25th May
    Week 2 Day 2
    Rest Day

Wednesday 26th May
    Week 2 Day 3
    Aim: 2 mile jog
    ~2mile jog in 22.39 with 15 mins walk (warm up and down)

• Advertisement

Thursday 27th May
    Week 2 Day 4
    Aim: 30 min crosstraining
    30 min walk

Friday 28th May
    Week 2 Day 5
    Aim 3.5 mile run
    3.53 mile jog in 40:58 with ~20 mins walk (warm up and down)

Today's run was bloody hard (at the start anyway!), was a bit worried about the run as its the longest i've done so far and included a bit of a hill. It was fine in the end and the second half of the run was great, could have kept going for a minute or two afterwards, but didn't cos I didn't want to overdo it! The sun came out aswell which was nice after yesterdays rain and it wasn't too hot at all. (Though I was sweating buckets afterwards)

Will be in London next weekend so will have to modify my plan for next week a bit. Going for a run tomorrow, I know I shouldn't be running two days in a row but tomorrow will only be 20 mins (doing W5D3 of C25K with a friend) so that will do for my 2 mile run for Week 3 (i usually run 2 miles in 22:3X so its only 2 and a bit mins difference)

Hal Higdon's Week 3:
    Mon: Stretch & strength
    Tues: 2.5 m run
    Wed: 35 min cross
    Thurs: 2 m run + strength
    Fri: Rest
    Sat: 50 min cross
    Sun: 4m run

My plan for week 3:
    Sat: 20min jog
    Sun: Walk
    Mon: 2.5m jog
    Tues: Walk/Yoga
    Wed: Walk
    Thurs: 4m jog
    Fri: Walk (somewhere in London :D)
    Sat: Walk (London)
    Sun: Walk (London)

Saturday 29th May
    20min jog (just under 2 miles I think)

Sunday 30th May
    45 min walk mostly uphill

Monday 31st May:
    Morning: 45 min walk mostly uphill
    Evening: 1.5 hrs dancing

Tuesday 1st June:
    ~2 mile jog, (time-over 20 mins but not sure of exact time due to stopping and starting)

Wasn't feeling the jogging love today, decided I would do the 4 miles this morning but when I started jogging it just felt crappy. I had a stitch before I even started jogging, my calves were tight and towards the end my right heel hurt a bit. So instead I got to half way and started walking, jogged for another 5 mins and walked the rest. Will do the 4 miles on Thursday morning hopefully.

Friday 4th June
    20 min jog-was meant to be the 4 mile jog at the end of week 3 but only managed 20 mins.

Big gap here as I was sick with flu and out of my routine

Monday 21st June-Friday 26th June
    30 min walk every morning-no hills and slow to medium pace

Saturday 27th June
    No exercise

Sunday 28th June
    3 hour hillwalk

Week 3 Hal Higdon Novice 10K

Plan
    Monday | Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    Stretch & Strength|2.5m|35min cross|2m + strength|rest|50 min cross|4 m|

Actual
    Monday | Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    rest|rest|2.5m|35 min walk|||

Great to see you back Brainy! Are you starting the 10k Hal Higdon again?

How did the 2.5 go? Its hot out there these days :)

dolliemix wrote: »
    Great to see you back Brainy! Are you starting the 10k Hal Higdon again?

How did the 2.5 go? Its hot out there these days :)

Thank u! Was planning on just repeating week 3 but will see how I get on for the long run (4 miles), if I can't do it I'll just do the 3 miles and that'll be week 1. I don't mind too much as long as I stick with this and actually finish the program!
    It was really warm and a bit humid! Had to sit down for a little bit after the jog cos I felt a bit light headed, I prob didn't drink enough water for the amount of sweating I was doing! Other than that, most of the run was good, the last half mile though I was struggling a bit but am glad I stuck at it :D
    How are you getting on in the half marathon program? When are you off on your holliers?

Well done for doing it! 2.5 is a long distance if you've been on a break!

I'm heading next tomorrow week so I am keeping up the running but I'm not sticking to a plan as such. When I get home I'll get straight back into the half marathon plan and I think I'll start from scratch again. I'm actually looking forward to the discipline of it all again!

dolliemix wrote: »
    Well done for doing it! 2.5 is a long distance if you've been on a break!

I'm heading next tomorrow week so I am keeping up the running but I'm not sticking to a plan as such. When I get home I'll get straight back into the half marathon plan and I think I'll start from scratch again. I'm actually looking forward to the discipline of it all again!

Haha yeah was really surprised that I finished it without any strains/pains in my legs but got up this morning and was a bit stiff. Nothing too bad though.
    Thats cool, you're going to Tokyo? Not exactly a week in the Algarve! :p What made you think of going there? V jealous! :D

• Advertisement

Thursday 1st July
    35 min walk
    Easy enough pace as my legs are a bit stiff this morning after yesterday's run.

Advertisement