Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bigfoot a extant north american mammal

Options
  • 13-04-2010 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭

I have a zoology degree and find this subject very interesting i went from being completly skeptical to being quite confident that the evidence points to its reality, anyway im attending a debate on various topics and would love anyone skeptical to his existence to give me their reasons why cannot or probaly not exist.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I don't think anyone's saying it cannot exist, but there's no solid evidence that it does, it's all ambiguous photos and videos and some footprints. They can all be easily faked, and the fact that they are faked regularly (either to mislead people, or else just for fun) makes me skeptical about any that I do see.

Correct me if I'm wrong but in zoology if you're claiming you've found a new species, don't you need a specimen that can be analysed and dissected? Why suspend such a practice in this circumstance?

It's been a while since I've heard much talk about bigfoot so I'm a little rusty -- perhaps you could briefly outline your case for its existance?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I agree with Dave!; no-one is saying that it is impossible for Bigfoot to exist, just that more evidence is needed than some footprints and some dodgy photos.

Perhaps you could explain to us why you believe that an undiscovered hominid is roaming the US despite the lack of evidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Dave! wrote: »
    I don't think anyone's saying it cannot exist, but there's no solid evidence that it does, it's all ambiguous photos and videos and some footprints. They can all be easily faked, and the fact that they are faked regularly (either to mislead people, or else just for fun) makes me skeptical about any that I do see.

Correct me if I'm wrong but in zoology if you're claiming you've found a new species, don't you need a specimen that can be analysed and dissected? Why suspend such a practice in this circumstance?

It's been a while since I've heard much talk about bigfoot so I'm a little rusty -- perhaps you could briefly outline your case for its existance?

Right first of all i don't intend to disprove a case saying he cannot exist im not trying to catch anyone out with that one.

second of all yes your right usually zoologists will want a a body to "describe" a new species, that is talk about its size, shape, diet and everything else in detail, the thing that a lot of people dont realize is that animals dont go from being thought of as completely mythical to accepted with no degree of acceptance in between if that were true we wouldn't organize expeditions and as a result our knowledge of the zoological world would be a lot less complete.

scientists will assess evidence of a creature and then depending on the evidence footprints, dna, native testimony, non native testimony and testimony from trained observers they will send out expeditions to try and secure a specimen. im not suspending any practice in fact all the credible evidence has been assessed in the usual zoological practice.

Many creatures have had the status as bigfoot and unfortunately its usually the more extreme scientists who have discovered creatures like the giant squid, mountain gorilla, bonobo, megamouth shark, okapi and recently the six foot fruit eating lizard of the Philippines.

In my view Bigfoot (or skookom as i prefer (the native American name) is another one of these creatures that have been classed folklore.

I will provide a list of the evidence that has convinced me in the following posts so bear with me in the meantime, feel free to ask me any qeustions, just a quick note about myself i specialize in primatology the study of the great apes, monkeys and humans.

right basically i find the foot prints, the video evidence (patterson film), dna extracted from hairs and eyewitness reports convincing enough for me to find the creature real.

ill start on the eye witness reports, most people describe a simular creature, sometimes involing multiple witnesses, wildlife biologists or trained individuals like police officers.

the behaviour described also is quite simular to known behaviours attributed to the great apes , like wood knocking,stone throwing and charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

steddyeddy wrote: »
    right basically i find the foot prints, the video evidence (patterson film), dna extracted from hairs and eyewitness reports convincing enough for me to find the creature real.

ill start on the eye witness reports, most people describe a simular creature, sometimes involing multiple witnesses, wildlife biologists or trained individuals like police officers.

the behaviour described also is quite simular to known behaviours attributed to the great apes , like wood knocking,stone throwing and charging.

What DNA evidence is there? All I can find are articles mentioning a DNA hoax.

• Advertisement

Fnz wrote: »
    What DNA evidence is there? All I can find are articles mentioning a DNA hoax.

dr.sterling burnell a member of the California academy of sciences conducted tests on hairs found in tracks after a witness claimed to see a skookom (Bigfoot) and determined they were of a unknown source but closely related to the human-chimpanzee-gorilla group.

craig newton a molecular biologist sequenced blood that was left on a nail covered board after it was placed there by a woman who said the skookom was seen by family members around her home in Canada, he found the hairs to be from a near human primate with one major difference in the nucleotide a difference that is shared with chimpanzees and gorillas there is however a one in five thousand chance this could be human hair , this was also on a program called monterquest on the history channel i believe.

personally however out of all the evidence this is the weakest because if you do find a hair belonging to a new primate thats all it is a hair they havent got a skookum hair to compare it too, its still interesting that they found hair from a primate in north America one they dont recognize.

I will also say other evidence i find extremely convincing is the skookum cast, which you can look up if interested.

I've seen several footprints, and they vary considerably, which is the real one? Some are really broad, some have narrow heels, some have 5 toes, some have 4, some just look like human feet. There's been dozens of hoaxes too, so how do you distinguish between the real and fake?

I don't see how anyone can find the Patterson film convicing, but I'll just post it for others to look at:

It could easily just be a man in a suit. It's not even good quality footage (I know it's from the 70's), so it's even less reliable.
    Do wild primates tend to turn their heads mid-gait, and upon seeing intruders continue in their stride without skipping a beat?

I'd like to see the DNA evidence, I'm not familiar with any.

Eye-witness reports are so unreliable it's ridiculous.

Of course people describe broadly similar creatures, the myth has been around since the 19th century! There isn't a person in North America that doesn't know about bigfoot and that couldn't give you a description of what he might look like.

Multiple witnesses may be (a) lying/jokes/pranks/hoaxes (very common), (b) mistaken (say they saw a bear out of the corner of their eye for example), or (c) embellishing (maybe they saw another animal's arse sticking out and started connecting dots).

You put multiple witnesses together and they start filling in each other's stories.

I'll grant you wildlife biologists, but police officers? They're no better than you or I at seeing a bigfoot. People say the same about police officers seeing UFO's. They're just as prone to misconstruing and misinterpretting, and are subject to the same bias and perceptive flaws as anyone else.

Again that's not strange, everyone knows bigfoot is supposed to be a big primate, what else would they have him doing? Swimming?

I'm not a zoologist, but is it normal behaviour for a wild primate to see two people in its area, and not even break its stride?

dr.sterling burnell a member of the California academy of sciences conducted tests on hairs found in tracks after a witness claimed to see a skookom (Bigfoot) and determined they were of a unknown source but closely related to the human-chimpanzee-gorilla group.

Did Dr Bunnell (not Burnell, unless that's a different guy) keep any records of these tests? Write up a paper describing his methods? Google just throws up second hand reports with no details other than in his (Bunnell's) opinion the hair resembled an ape but wasn't one. Where's the hair now?
    craig newton a molecular biologist sequenced blood that was left on a nail covered board after it was placed there by a woman who said the skookom was seen by family members around her home in Canada, he found the hairs to be from a near human primate with one major difference in the nucleotide a difference that is shared with chimpanzees and gorillas there is however a one in five thousand chance this could be human hair , this was also on a program called monterquest on the history channel i believe.

Again any details?

Dave! wrote: »
    I've seen several footprints, and they vary considerably, which is the real one? Some are really broad, some have narrow heels, some have 5 toes, some have 4, some just look like human feet. There's been dozens of hoaxes too, so how do you distinguish between the real and fake?

I don't see how anyone can find the Patterson film convicing, but I'll just post it for others to look at:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol8ifMrFN9U

It could easily just be a man in a suit. It's not even good quality footage (I know it's from the 70's), so it's even less reliable.
    Do wild primates tend to turn their heads mid-gait, and upon seeing intruders continue in their stride without skipping a beat?

I'd like to see the DNA evidence, I'm not familiar with any.

Eye-witness reports are so unreliable it's ridiculous.

Of course people describe broadly similar creatures, the myth has been around since the 19th century! There isn't a person in North America that doesn't know about bigfoot and that couldn't give you a description of what he might look like.

the myth has been part of American Indians folklore for thousands of years with the very first reports from native Americans to the colonists matching the descriptions given today, it would be ridiculous of me or any scientist to dismiss reports of a creature because they are similar i would be less likely to believe it if they weren't.

Multiple witnesses may be (a) lying/jokes/pranks/hoaxes (very common), (b) mistaken (say they saw a bear out of the corner of their eye for example), or (c) embellishing (maybe they saw another animal's arse sticking out and started connecting dots).

You put multiple witnesses together and they start filling in each other's stories.

I'll grant you wildlife biologists, but police officers? They're no better than you or I at seeing a bigfoot. People say the same about police officers seeing UFO's. They're just as prone to misconstruing and misinterpreting, and are subject to the same bias and perceptive flaws as anyone else.

Again that's not strange, everyone knows bigfoot is supposed to be a big primate, what else would they have him doing? Swimming?

I'm not a zoologist, but is it normal behaviour for a wild primate to see two people in its area, and not even break its stride?

you cant for definite but a anthropologist called grover crantz and a expert in bipedal locomotion called jeff meldrum have devised a way to spot hoaxs and indeed have blown the lid on a few.

some human feet have broad heels and some have narrow heels within a species there is variation due to age, size ect.

i personally think the four toed tracks were either not cast properly or a hoax as do the gentlemen above, actually only the hoaxed ones look like human feet the anatomy is not that of a enlarged human foot, they show dermal ridges which run along all primate feet however the ones on most of these casts are unique to these tracks, a latent dermal ridge print expert called jimmy chillcut has declared that the prospect of these being a hoax is extremely unlikely.

most prints also have a feature called a mid tarsel break which is unique to some non human primates, put simply its a break in the foot which offers a different form of bipedalism than we use, this feature is known to about a half dozen anthropologists in the us and when tracks were first been collected no one knew about it, yet its being reproduced accurately again and again.

Im half and half on this one (im sorry if people expected me to be a complete believer but im a scientist) but the film has been analyzed several times, and the height and bulk has been shown to be well above average, the technology for a suit that fitted so well was not available in the sixties and according to costume designer bill munns could not be a man in a suit.

yes primates do turn there head mid stride for example humans do it, what i find accurate is the fact the "creature" turns its entire torso to look around as the gorilla does rather than just its neck.

what would you expect a bipedal primate to do? of course its going to walk away.

Again eye witness reports are crucial to zoology and there is often very little variation between the descriptions, it does not match up that so many people saw different things bear ect and describe/draw the same creature which happens to fit in with the tracks and mythology of the region. the exact same arguement was given agiant the existence of the gorilla, giant panda ect and they were reported many times before thier discovery and the reports were accurate i dont see how they would not be in this circumstance.

the myth has been part of American Indians folklore for thousands of years with the very first reports from native Americans to the colonists matching the descriptions given today, it would be ridiculous of me or any scientist to dismiss reports of a creature because they are similar i would be less likely to believe it if they weren't.

well when it was reported hundreds of years ago no one knew what a primate was, yet the features they were describing were primate features, what basis had they got to make it up? bearing in mind the gorilla was not discovered until 1847 and the fact that apes wood knock to communicate was only recently discovered.

• Advertisement

you cant for definite but a anthropologist called grover crantz and a expert in bipedal locomotion called jeff meldrum have devised a way to spot hoaxs and indeed have blown the lid on a few.

Good to know, but as you say, you can't be definite. There's some pretty good hoaxers around. Do you have any further information on the methods used to distinguish real from fake?
    some human feet have broad heels and some have narrow heels within a species there is variation due to age, size ect.

So that would suggest -- and presumably since you later refer to Native American sightings, you do believe this -- that there are many generations of bigfoot roaming around the woods in North America.

How is it possible then that none have been killed/captured?

And I think more obviously, why has no skeleton ever been found?

North America isn't exactly a wilderness, there are lots of lumberjacks and hunters that you would expect might stumble upon a skeleton or two in the hundreds of years Europeans have been there.
    i personally think the four toed tracks were either not cast properly or a hoax as do the gentlemen above, actually only the hoaxed ones look like human feet the anatomy is not that of a enlarged human foot, they show dermal ridges which run along all primate feet however the ones on most of these casts are unique to these tracks, a latent dermal ridge print expert called jimmy chillcut has declared that the prospect of these being a hoax is extremely unlikely.

most prints also have a feature called a mid tarsel break which is unique to some non human primates, put simply its a break in the foot which offers a different form of bipedalism than we use, this feature is known to about a half dozen anthropologists in the us and when tracks were first been collected no one knew about it, yet its being reproduced accurately again and again.

Can't say I know anything about the foot features and the likes so can't comment, but I do know that there have been dozens of foot prints and tracks created using carved wood and the likes. Whether the mid tarsel breaks and dermal ridges can be faked, I'll have to plead ignorance. I'm not prepared to dig through all the photos to try to determine when a photo was taken, and when these foot features were discovered.
    Im half and half on this one (im sorry if people expected me to be a complete believer but im a scientist) but the film has been analyzed several times, and the height and bulk has been shown to be well above average, the technology for a suit that fitted so well was not available in the sixties and according to costume designer bill munns could not be a man in a suit

I've seen this asserted too, but lots of people seemingly disagree
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patterson-Gimlin_film#Hoax_allegations

Look at these monkey suits from 2001: A Space Odyssey:

Obviously they don't look the same, but the quality is just as good. Considering the Patterson film is at a distance and the quality is poor, I don't see why it couldn't be a similar constume.
    yes primates do turn there head mid stride for example humans do it, what i find accurate is the fact the "creature" turns its entire torso to look around as the gorilla does rather than just its neck.

what would you expect a bipedal primate to do? of course its going to walk away.

Maybe it's difficult to turn the neck in the suit? ;)

I'd have expected a startled ape to show some evidence that it's surprised. Can't say I know much about primate behaviour though.
    Again eye witness reports are crucial to zoology and there is often very little variation between the descriptions, it does not match up that so many people saw different things bear ect and describe/draw the same creature which happens to fit in with the tracks and mythology of the region. the exact same arguement was given agiant the existence of the gorilla, giant panda ect and they were reported many times before thier discovery and the reports were accurate i dont see how they would not be in this circumstance.

I'm sure loch ness monster researchers use the same argument as well, it doesn't follow that just because gorillas and giant pandas were discovered in similar circumstances that therefore every myth should be regarded as though it's true also.

Just like Nessie and UFO's, there's such a mythology surrounding Bigfoot that you'd have to be weary of reports.

I'll give you an example that supports this idea:
    If further evidence is needed, consider a case that transpired in Rotterdam in 1978. A small panda had escaped from a zoo, whereupon officials had issued a media alert. Soon panda sightings—around one hundred in all—were reported across the Netherlands. However, a single animal could not have been in so many places in so short a time; in fact, no one had seen the panda, because it had been killed by a train when it reached railroad tracks near the zoo. How do we explain the many false sightings? The answer is, people’s anticipations led them to misinterpret what they had actually seen—a dog or some wild creature—as the escaped panda. (The publicity generated by the case may even have sparked some hoax calls [Nickell 1995, 43].) If such misperceptions could happen with pandas, surely they could also occur with aquatic cryptids.

And the same could apply to people visiting areas where bigfoot sightings have been reported. It wouldn't surprise me if there were towns in N America that advertise themselves as bigfoot towns, and draw revenue from tourists visiting the area.

well when it was reported hundreds of years ago no one knew what a primate was, yet the features they were describing were primate features, what basis had they got to make it up? bearing in mind the gorilla was not discovered until 1847 and the fact that apes wood knock to communicate was only recently discovered.

Well I'm just glancing through this thread('Native American myths/traditions support Bigfoot? A critical look') on another forum, and it seems it's not as clear-cut as you make it seem.

Native Americans have hundreds of stories of mythical creatures -- all ancient cultures do. It wouldn't surprise me if a few of them were close to the description of bigfoot that we have today. All the description has to say is "large, scary beast", and that would probably be a match for you wouldn't it? "Hairy, upright animal", maybe that's one too. Maybe it's a bear though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,329 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I would have thought that it would have run, rather than walked.

Not your ornery onager

This man has detailed the anatomy of the foot based on a series of footprints he thinks unlikely to be fake, his article is here http://home.clara.net/rfthomas/papers/anatomy.html, hes is also one of two men including jeff meldrum who claim to be able to spot the hoaxes, the criteria will never be released as to how they assess them as hoaxes because if they did that then the hoaxes would become a lot more biologically convincing.

Yes of course i would not believe in bigfoot if it was implied to be a single creature indeed many juvenilles were seen, some were reported as female and infant and others again were reported of various sizes, including some with limps and apparent injuries.

to my knowledge none have been reported to have been killed or captured theres no time limit on species discovery in zoology this is stranger to me than the issue of a skeleton, in the wild you will rarely if ever find the body of a primate, in fact the fossil record of chimps is three teeth, gorillas are absent from the fossil record, in 43 months in a research project the remains of one chimp was found in a area thought to contain a tribe of over 150 chimps.

the bigfoot if it exists has to be a lot rarer and there fore the remains are a lot less likely to be found, even bear remains are very rarley found in north America and there are thousands of black bears there. the acidic contents of the American forests make skeletal remains last a few days at most, other animals like porcupines will eat the bones also.

As regards the foot features a search through pictures isnt neccasery just look up articles on the foot print anatomy by dr.jeff meldrum, another cast of the lower portion of a alleged bigfoot body is the skookum cast which convinced skeptics of the reality of the creature, scientists such as dr.jane goodall, dr daris swindler and jack napier of the cretures existence look up any of these scientists and youll see they have a good record in the zoological world.

Again eyewitness reports are of huge value to the scientific world and i was referring to the reports of animals like the gorilla, bonobo, giant panda ect rather than the myths of the native people of those areas.

Are all eyewitness reports unreliable? as you said earlier many hunters, loggers ect work in the wilderness areas of north america (most of the reports, foot prints ect are in the pacific north west) and these men report Bigfoot more than other people.

there are 3000 eye witness reports often multiple witnesses, for several minutes not just fleeting glimpses, as several biologists and hunters maintain what i saw was not a bear,elk ect it looked like a large hairy man with caveman/primitive features, i realize that the eyes play tricks but rarely in the same way for 3000 people and for several minutes.

If you used the logic your using as regards eye witness reports whose to say that people are seeing any aniamls at all you could use that logic to dismiss all wildlife reports, you cant throw several eyewitness reports out because they dont describe a animal you agree exists! your using one set of rules for discovered aniamls and another set of rules for the undiscovered ones.

even among skeptics in zoology eyewitness reports are not thrown out at most they are attributed to miss identification however this is unlikely in trained individuals or sightings lasting several minutes.

dave you say earlier "hes a primate what else would he be doing, swimming?"

well yes hes seen doing what a primate does thats why i believe it rather than refute it.

As regards your statement about the native Americans legends regarding bigfoot its ridiculous to think that large hairy beast would be enough for me i dont know were your getting that from, or upright beast theres no need to try and insult my intelligence.

there are many many tribes of native Americans and most of them have a simular legend of a creature which in their language means large hairy man, they have similar descriptions of the creature who in art (petroglyphs, totem poles ect) is often represented along side known animals, it is a mythical animal, beavers occur in myth and legend, killer whales occur in myth and legends humans ect many animals occur in myth and legend but also as real extant mammals, the fact that it is used that way does not invalidate its existence.

actually most legends of aboriginal tribes are based on real animals one such legend is buk'wus (brother of the woods) which features among the kwakiul tribe of british columbia and features on their totem pole which scientists remarked looks remarkably like a ape, which the native americans should have no knowledge of.

all i can say to to the thread you posted is that the thread creator is trying to say that he knows more about native american mythology than a native American mythology researcher.

He disagrees with her views, i think ill put more faith in her who has spent decades researching the creature your evidence for it not being clear cut is a thread on a internet board.

there are many books/articles that state that the creature is part of native mythology.

This man has detailed the anatomy of the foot based on a series of footprints he thinks unlikely to be fake, his article is here http://home.clara.net/rfthomas/papers/anatomy.html, hes is also one of two men including jeff meldrum who claim to be able to spot the hoaxes, the criteria will never be released as to how they assess them as hoaxes because if they did that then the hoaxes would become a lot more biologically convincing.

Come on, that's hardly compelling is it? Those two guys are able to spot hoaxes thanks to some secret method, and nobody else is allowed to know? So we have to run every example past these fellas and they'll tell us whether it's a hoax or not, and we have to take their word for this?

That's ridiculous
    Yes of course i would not believe in bigfoot if it was implied to be a single creature indeed many juvenilles were seen, some were reported as female and infant and others again were reported of various sizes, including some with limps and apparent injuries.

Well that makes the next point rather implausible...
    to my knowledge none have been reported to have been killed or captured theres no time limit on species discovery in zoology this is stranger to me than the issue of a skeleton, in the wild you will rarely if ever find the body of a primate, in fact the fossil record of chimps is three teeth, gorillas are absent from the fossil record, in 43 months in a research project the remains of one chimp was found in a area thought to contain a tribe of over 150 chimps.

It's one thing taking a long time to find a giant panda during the 19th century in rural China. It's quite another in the 21st century in North America. Even if it was Alaska I'd find it implausible, but here's a sightings map, and it spans the entire country pretty much:
    BFSightingsNAT8.jpg

It's extremely unlikely that there's an entire species of 10 foot mammal roaming around all of those areas and nobody has managed to even find a body for us to examine. Any that are found turn out to be hoaxes, like this one:

As regards the foot features a search through pictures isnt neccasery just look up articles on the foot print anatomy by dr.jeff meldrum, another cast of the lower portion of a alleged bigfoot body is the skookum cast which convinced skeptics of the reality of the creature, scientists such as dr.jane goodall, dr daris swindler and jack napier of the cretures existence look up any of these scientists and youll see they have a good record in the zoological world.

It seems not everyone agrees with their assessment, some people say that it's an elk.
    http://www.bigfootencounters.com/articles/skookum_hokum.htm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skookum_cast

Wasn't there elk and bear hair identified in it?
    Again eyewitness reports are of huge value to the scientific world and i was referring to the reports of animals like the gorilla, bonobo, giant panda ect rather than the myths of the native people of those areas.

Are all eyewitness reports unreliable? as you said earlier many hunters, loggers ect work in the wilderness areas of north america (most of the reports, foot prints ect are in the pacific north west) and these men report Bigfoot more than other people.

there are 3000 eye witness reports often multiple witnesses, for several minutes not just fleeting glimpses, as several biologists and hunters maintain what i saw was not a bear,elk ect it looked like a large hairy man with caveman/primitive features, i realize that the eyes play tricks but rarely in the same way for 3000 people and for several minutes.

Have these 3000 cases passed the secret test you mentioned earlier? Or could they all be hoaxes for all we know?

What about the recent Marian apparition in Knock?

What about all the UFO sightings?

What about all of the Elvis sightings?

Loch-Ness Monster?

Do you take all of them at face value also?

As I described earlier about the red panda that escaped from Rotterdam zoo, any observer is liable to be lying, mistaken, embellishing, etc. If you're expecting to see something then you're more likely to see it.

Eyewitness reports might be of value in some circumstances, but they're not reliable, that's why we need a specimen.
    If you used the logic your using as regards eye witness reports whose to say that people are seeing any aniamls at all you could use that logic to dismiss all wildlife reports, you cant throw several eyewitness reports out because they dont describe a animal you agree exists! your using one set of rules for discovered aniamls and another set of rules for the undiscovered ones.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence", think Carl Sagan said that. If something is so highly implausible then it's gonna require some good evidence to support it.

Just like say if one doctor recommended giving aspirin to someone at risk of heart attack, because it thins the blood, and another recommended a homeopathic pill, because like cures like and water has memory, you'd be inclined to go with the former.

If someone says they saw an exceptionally large silverback gorilla in the African jungle, you might think that's quite plausible. If someone says they saw a dragon flying through downtown New York, then you'd think it's not.

The bigfoot story is so polluted with mythology, hoaxes, movies, etc., that you'd be less inclined nowadays to pay any attention to eye witness reports of it.

Just like UFO reports tend to take a spike when movies like Independence Day come out, I'll bet bigfoot reports took a spike after Harry and the Hendersons (great movie btw) came out :D

harryandthehendersons.jpg
    all i can say to to the thread you posted is that the thread creator is trying to say that he knows more about native american mythology than a native American mythology researcher.

He disagrees with her views, i think ill put more faith in her who has spent decades researching the creature your evidence for it not being clear cut is a thread on a internet board.

there are many books/articles that state that the creature is part of native mythology.

Can you give some specific examples of these, ones that couldn't possibly be a bear?

How do you distinguish between mythical creatures that are fictional, and those that are based on real animals? Every culture tends to have dozens of mythical creatures/beastmen.

Take your pick!

No its not ridiculous if you look at the credentials of these guys especially meldrum their pretty much the experts on bipedal evolution foot mechanics ect and second of all its known that they spot fakes because they challenged people to construct and make fakes and send them in for appraisal, they accurately differentiated between those found in isolated areas and those purposely constructed and sent in, they did release a few details as follows:

1. footprints constructed had a pronounced arch in the foot simular to humans, those found had non rather they had a mid tarsal break (split) in the foot which makes sense for a large primate rather than an arch.

2.there were no dermal ridges on the feet (footprints for the feet) rather they were completely devoid of detail scars ect.

3.they showed no variation among the individual prints toe positions ect

how is my point implausible i think you may have taken it up the wrong way, some creatures having been observed with injuries (limps, herniation ect). i still maintain none were caught?

• Advertisement

some areas of north America are a lot more isolated than china was/is! the panda was discovered in 1916 a skin was recovered in the 19th century but thought to be a hoax, a panda is a completely different ball game than a primate whose behavior is described as cryptic ie it intends to remain elusive especially to other primates.

chimpanzees have been observed to sometimes cover up there tracks to avoid detection as will gorillas, chimps in uganda for example after the civil war there became more skittish and changed their activity from diurnality to nocturnality to avoid human detection (they were being used as bush meat )

If your thinking large primates think humans, there are thought to be undiscovered tribes in Brazil as there was many recently discovered.

A six foot long lizard was recently found in the Philippines that the natives knew about for centuries, i have no problem with a animal as clever as a ape and as mobile as a bipedal ape avoiding detection, and if you look up proponents of bigfoot youll find the agree that America has many hiding places for a large ape.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bili_Ape another recently discovered ape in the republic of Congo the number of ape species is changing rapidly.

yes the skookum cast defiantly had elk and bear hair but also hair that cannot be matched to a known creature, no one is claiming only one animal makes up the impression there is a clear Achilles tendon in the cast far bigger than a human achilles which suggest something large and bipedal made a impression.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭kieran26

just disagree entirely with big foot, surely a fossil would have been found by now? or are they intelligent creatures who bury their own dead?
    if a hunter saw one most likely he/she would have shot it to prove themselves right and in that video the gait of the 'big foot' is remarkably human

3000 sightings, foot prints stories from the natives told to the early explorers like Samuel de Champlain etc to be honest a series of hoaxes involving hundreds of forest rangers, zoologists, natives and the early explorers of the continent is a bit more far fetched than than alternative that there is a undiscovered ape in America.

hoaxers would have a shared knowledge of the footprint anatomy, behavioral characteristics ect and a lot of these people are state veterinarians, wildlife biologists and hunters i really find hoaxing to be hard to believe on such a large scale.

the people who were caught out in hoaxing "evidence" are generally red necks and exposed quite quickly like the video you posted about the hoaxers from Georgia the hoaxers have never turned out to be trained in the area of zoology ect.

kieran26 wrote: »
    just disagree entirely with big foot, surely a fossil would have been found by now? or are they intelligent creatures who bury their own dead?
    if a hunter saw one most likely he/she would have shot it to prove themselves right and in that video the gait of the 'big foot' is remarkably human

no fossils of gorillas exist and 3 chimp teeth primates avoid the conditions of fossilization, yes thats the point its gait is supposed to be human, other than its size its described as human looking.

dave as i said i dont accept everything i hear at first, i think theres a lot more evidence for the loch ness montser needed before i believe it and for the rest i wont dignify them because the level of evidence is completely different.

i agree we need a specimen but i think the evidence is quite compelling and as i said before im half on half on the video i cant prove anything with that, its all over the place as regards opinion analysis etc.

yes i agree with the dragon analogy but this is backed by mythology previous reports, physical evidence associated with the reports, dont think i looked at this and said sounds hmm sounds real or even jane Goodall believes it i will too, i actually looked through numerous eye witness reports and saw a lot of things that fit together, the foot prints the behavior described in the reports from people who wouldn't know the intricacies of primate behavior.

it was less than one hundred years ago when natural selection was largely disbeilved as there was lack of evidence, im convinced more evidence will be made available.

the difference with your legendery creatures dave is that they rarley have contemperary acounts of them, coinciding with foot prints behavior that makes sense within the animals genus (primate, whale etc) there just stories however if you look at a lot of them they have since been discovered kraken=giant squid , Sichuan = giant panda and many others.

i dont get into pub fight over this for nothing dave ;) ill defend bigfoot before i jump to the girlfriends defense!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Have there not been regular attempts to capture photographic evidence of such a creature... since the stories were popularized? I'd have thought that camera traps would be set up over vast areas of "bigfoot country" due to public interest in the creature.

I find it difficult to believe that sufficient effort has not been put into the search for bigfoot at this stage - that the reason we haven't found compelling evidence is due to complete human ineptitude.

Advertisement