Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

jolley123 wrote: »
    http://sportsfile.com/more-images/1107172/

EDIT: don't know if this was already common knowledge, but David Gannon is in there. Gives us extra cover at lock.

Also, Leo Auva'a and Cillian Willis are in there.

Is that the correct page? I don't see Gannon in there. I see Willis though which confirms that. Interesting that Dundon is there too. I thought he'd have been cut loose given that Sexton was promoted. To paraphrase the Dutch, we're really overstocked in the hooker department. Sexton, JHW, Cronin, Strauss and Dundon all being kept involved. Only Cronin has any possibility of being involved in the Irish set up and even then it's unlikely that he'll be in the 22 unless others aren't fit.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

http://sportsfile.com/id/537221/

isa looks like a down and out who's just had an electric shock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭jolley123

GerM wrote: »
    Is that the correct page? I don't see Gannon in there. I see Willis though which confirms that. Interesting that Dundon is there too. I thought he'd have been cut loose given that Sexton was promoted. To paraphrase the Dutch, we're really overstocked in the hooker department. Sexton, JHW, Cronin, Strauss and Dundon all being kept involved. Only Cronin has any possibility of being involved in the Irish set up and even then it's unlikely that he'll be in the 22 unless others aren't fit.

I think I saw something I wasn't supposed to see:D. The picture of him has been taken down. But, you can trust me, he was there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭roycon

i never heard anything about dave gannon. i suppose he thought hes probably going to be getting the same amount of game time for leinster as he would be getting for exeter so why not move as a back up. does anybody know what ail club he'll be playing for (presuming he is at all).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Must have missed the memo regarding Willis rejoining! Any details on this? Short-term during the World Cup?

• Advertisement

Must have missed the memo regarding Willis rejoining! Any details on this? Short-term during the World Cup?

Bingo. Just as cover throughout the WC apparently. After that, it's back to the Boss/Reddan show with Cooney backing up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

http://www.sporcle.com/games/123ucg/leinster-rugby-players-2000-2011

only got 65 out of 144 but missed some very obvious ones

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

all the fixtures for the season are up
    http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/matchcentre/results_and_fixtures_leinster.php

first 6 games ie the ones without our internationals are:
    ospreys a
    dragons h
    glasgow h
    lanelli a
    aironi h
    connacht h

dragons and connacht will be nearly full strength so will be looking to pick up wins in dublin. aironi, glasgow, lanelli and the ospreys will be weakened by the world cup call ups.

last 6 games are
    aironi a
    ospreys h
    munster a
    edinburgh h
    ulster a
    dragons a

munster, ulster and dragons away could be very tricky games depending on how the season works out for them.

Not a fantastic run really. We've a tricky enough finish to the season when points could be required and the teams we're facing early on won't be anywhere near as hard hit by international absences as we with the possible exception of the Ospreys who we'll be doing well to beat away. We'll be doing very well to top the table after all that. Think top 3 should be the target with a significant amount of exposure for younger players.

November and December look very tough.

Difficult fixture list really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

The peak season is really condensed into about 10 weeks between early November and late January.

I think we have an ok start, 4 out of the 6 during the world cup are at home. So we should hit the ground running instead of playing catch up like last year.

Run in is a bit tricky, kind of the opposite to last year.

We need to be coming out of the six nations in the lead I reckon.

As ever, Munster away will be pivotal...

Date Time (Local) Comp Home Away
    Fri 19 Aug 19:00 F Leinster * v * Melbourne Rebels
    Fri 26 Aug 19:00 F Leinster * v * Northampton Saints
    2/3/4 Sep RDP12 Ospreys * v * Leinster
    9/10/11 Sep RDP12 Leinster * v * Newport Gwent Dragons
    16/17/18 Sep RDP12 Leinster * v * Glasgow Warriors
    23/24/25 Sep RDP12 Scarlets * v * Leinster
    30 Sep, RDP12 Leinster * v * Aironi Rugby
    7/8/9 Oct RDP12 Leinster * v * Connacht Rugby
    28/29/30 Oct RDP12 Edinburgh * v * Leinster
    4/5/6 Nov RDP12 Leinster * v * Munster
    Sat 12 Nov 14:30 HC-P3 Montpellier * v * Leinster
    Sun 20 Nov 12:45 HC-P3 Leinster * v * Glasgow Warriors
    25/26/27 Nov RDP12 Benetton Treviso * v * Leinster
    2/3/4 Dec RDP12 Leinster * v * Cardiff Blues
    Sun 11 Dec 12:45 HC-P3 Bath Rugby * v * Leinster
    Sat 17 Dec 18:00 HC-P3 Leinster * v * Bath Rugby
    23/24/25 Dec RDP12 Leinster * v * Ulster Rugby
    30/31 Dec, RDP12 Connacht Rugby * v * Leinster
    6/7/8 Jan RDP12 Cardiff Blues * v * Leinster
    13/14/15 Jan HC-P3 Glasgow Warriors * v * Leinster
    20/21/22 Jan HC-P3 Leinster * v * Montpellier
    10/11/12 Feb RDP12 Leinster * v * Benetton Treviso
    17/18/19 Feb RDP12 Leinster * v * Scarlets
    24/25/26 Feb RDP12 Glasgow Warriors * v * Leinster
    2/3/4 Mar RDP12 Aironi Rugby * v * Leinster
    23/24/25 Mar RDP12 Leinster * v * Ospreys
    30/31 Mar, RDP12 Munster * v * Leinster
    13/14/15 Apr RDP12 Leinster * v * Edinburgh
    20/21/22 Apr RDP12 Ulster Rugby * v * Leinster
    4/5/6 May RDP12 Newport Gwent Dragons * v * Leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Leinster trained in Tallaght Stadium today, some pics here http://fmcphotos.wordpress.com/2011/07/22/leinster-squad-training-2272011/

Do yo bicep hang low?
    Do it wobble to da flo?

INPHO_00528212.jpg

Kearney tweeted this link for pictures too http://garyfox.photoshelter.com/gallery/Leinster-Rugby-Training-Session-Tallaght-Stadium/G0000E49.goL_asA/

Does anyone else find it weird how active a role Les Kiss and Deccie seemed to have in a Leinster training camp?! Looks a bit more than just observing!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Kearney tweeted this link for pictures too http://garyfox.photoshelter.com/gallery/Leinster-Rugby-Training-Session-Tallaght-Stadium/G0000E49.goL_asA/

Does anyone else find it weird how active a role Les Kiss and Deccie seemed to have in a Leinster training camp?! Looks a bit more than just observing!
    Les Kiss has talked about how as Ireland defence coach he works with all four provinces training camps on occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

We have the warmup international games next month and the world cup is only around the next corner.

Damo9090 wrote: »
    We have the warmup international games next month and the world cup is only around the next corner.

Yea, but that's what Ireland camp is for. I wasn't aware of Les Kiss' role with the provinces until Ciaran pointed it out however!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Deccie just needs to keep an eye on fionn carr while his missus is in town.

Mentioned on LF that the Irish players trained in a different group to the mere mortals and DK took this group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Kidney is obviously looking for tips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

has Killian Willis signed a deal with leinster?

bamboozle wrote: »
    has Killian Willis signed a deal with leinster?

Probably a short term thing just so Schmidt can bolster the squad at scrum-half. There is a slight possibility that Boss and Reddan could be on the plane to NZ, and then there's is a very possible chance that they may both feature in the 6 nations. That would leave Leinster with just John Cooney, who is un-tested at this level.

I'll certainly be keeping an eye on the B&I games, so I can see how McGrath is coming along. I genuinely would not be surprised if he got a senior cap this season.

EDIT: There's an interview vid up on LTV with Sykes if anyone is interested.

He stated that he has come here to play for Ireland. Said he's had a little trouble getting noticed for the Boks, so he's come up here to try for Ireland. He also said that Strauss would prefer the Green and gold of SA, but the Green and white will do.

It's already been discussed, and it is a controversial subject but I'm not too sure how I feel about that. On the other hand, if one of our own players isn't playing as well in Ireland colours, as a guy from down south; then do they really deserve it more??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

He stated that he has come here to play for Ireland. Said he's had a little trouble getting noticed for the Boks, so he's come up here to try for Ireland. He also said that Strauss would prefer the Green and gold of SA, but the Green and white will do.

It's already been discussed, and it is a controversial subject but I'm not too sure how I feel about that. On the other hand, if one of our own players isn't playing as well in Ireland colours, as a guy from down south; then do they really deserve it more??

Can open. Worms everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Gracelessly Tom

I'll certainly be keeping an eye on the B&I games, so I can see how McGrath is coming along. I genuinely would not be surprised if he got a senior cap this season.

EDIT: There's an interview vid up on LTV with Sykes if anyone is interested.

McGrath has a senior cap already. Not sure if you meant first senior cap mind you.

I'll get a chance to watch the interview later but if thats true it sounds very bad from a guy who has just joined and would presumably like to win the Irish (not just Leinster) fans over. Also doesn't paint Strauss in the best light does he??

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭smurphy29

McGrath has a senior cap already. Not sure if you meant first senior cap mind you.

I'll get a chance to watch the interview later but if thats true it sounds very bad from a guy who has just joined and would presumably like to win the Irish (not just Leinster) fans over. Also doesn't paint Strauss in the best light does he??
    Tom, I think you're confusing your McGraths. Jack McGrath, the prop, has a start (and it went pretty well too) vs. Glasgow, and a couple of other sub appearances I think. Young scrum half McGrath hasn't got a cap yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

ok as far as I can hear he actually says with a smile on his face that strauss has step up his game and that he will wear a green jersey, IT WON'T be green and gold but green and white is good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Gracelessly Tom

smurphy29 wrote: »
    Tom, I think you're confusing your McGraths. Jack McGrath, the prop, has a start (and it went pretty well too) vs. Glasgow, and a couple of other sub appearances I think. Young scrum half McGrath hasn't got a cap yet.

:o whoopsy....

I don't think Strauss or Sykes grew up wanting to play for Ireland. Strauss won the world U19 with SA and Sykes played for the Emerging Sprinboks against the Lions as little as 2 years ago.

They're both here to play for Leinster as their careers have hit a stumbling block is SA. If after 3 years they get picked for Ireland it's a bonus for them. They're not Irish and I'd imagine once their rugby careers are over they will go home to SA. If their chances of playing for Ireland were as good as their chances of playing for SA then they'd still be in SA.

Them's the rules and they ain't breakin any!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I think it'll be interesting to see if they do in fact get selected when eligible. We've a serious issue playing Irish players who play their club rugby abroad. Would we be similarly loathed to play non-Irish players?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

molloyjh wrote: »
    I think it'll be interesting to see if they do in fact get selected when eligible. We've a serious issue playing Irish players who play their club rugby abroad. Would we be similarly loathed to play non-Irish players?

No; Strauss, like Peter Borlase in Munster, was signed as a 'special project player', meaning that the IRFU allowed him to be signed in addition to the normal quota of non-Irish qualified (NIQ) players, precisely because he would be able to declare for Ireland after 3 years. This time next year, Strauss will be training with the Ireland squad. Borlase hasn't quite made the same impact yet but the basic principles are the same.

I'm not sure if the same applies to Sykes, whether he was signed as a project or as a regular NIQ. Anyone know?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement