Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

No; Strauss, like Peter Borlase in Munster, was signed as a 'special project player', meaning that the IRFU allowed him to be signed in addition to the normal quota of non-Irish qualified (NIQ) players, precisely because he would be able to declare for Ireland after 3 years. This time next year, Strauss will be training with the Ireland squad. Borlase hasn't quite made the same impact yet but the basic principles are the same.

I'm not sure if the same applies to Sykes, whether he was signed as a project or as a regular NIQ. Anyone know?

Currently, Sykey occupies a spot as one of the 5 NIQ players. However, when Strauss qualifies, he will step into our project player berth and already have 1 year of his residency completed allowing us to sign another NIQ player. As far as I know, one player is officially the designated project player at any one time but this does not prevent a NIQ player completing residency concurrently.

Borlase hasn't made much of an impact but I'm going to try to be optimistic in relation to him. Strauss got very little game time in his opening season also. Admittedly, Strauss actually looked really good in his brief cameos in his first season but I'm willing to give Borlase some leeway. If he can come good it would be a massive boost to the national set up. He would be IQ at 28 giving him several years of playing time for us. Ross would be coming to the end of his career and, lets be honest, we don't have any proven replacements knocking about at the moment. Hagan is the likely successor but he still hasn't been tested at the pinnacle of club rugby or had any exposure interntionally. We need all the options we can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

Anyone hear about Luke Fitzgerald picking up an injury last weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Sorry if this has been posted before. Leinster's Glory by Luka Bloom -

Pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

My ears :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TheHighRoad

McKinley has had to retire. Such a shame, he was an incredible prospect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

are you sure cause if so damn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TheHighRoad

Source?

From a reliable contact. I dont want to into the details but the eye injury he suffered last year has worsened, its quite serious. He is no longer able to play rugby.

good god I hope you're wrong.

http://forum.leinsterfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17045&start=40 seems to have a poster recently saying he was back in for surgery, but no source or citation for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭streings

Yeah heard that bout McKinley too. I was told he had surgery on his already damaged eye a couple of weeks ago but something went wrong and he lost all the sight in it. Suppose he had no choice..cant really play rugby with one working eye. Awful news and a terrible loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Kearney tweeted this link for pictures too http://garyfox.photoshelter.com/gallery/Leinster-Rugby-Training-Session-Tallaght-Stadium/G0000E49.goL_asA/

Does anyone else find it weird how active a role Les Kiss and Deccie seemed to have in a Leinster training camp?! Looks a bit more than just observing!

Maybe he's trying to pick up a few tips from Schmidt.;)

danthefan wrote: »
    Kidney is obviously looking for tips.

ooo0ps. great minds etc.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Ah ffs, that is awful news for the guy.
    Incredible bad luck if true, he didn't look too good in the recent Leinster squad pics.

At least he presumably has something to fall back on, going on the Leinster Academy set up of education as well as rugby.

In selfish terms, it's also very bad news for Leinster, he was surely the next OH.

Catastrophic for a really talented guy. My heart goes out to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

What a terrible shame. I guess it might explain why he seemed to disappear suddenly last season in favour of Madigan despite some very impressive performances.

Good luck to him in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Sure this was only taken 2 weeks ago,

http://www.sportsfile.com/id/537881/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I hope he is OK firstly, and then I hope he can still play rugby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭roycon

http://www.sportsfile.com/id/537242/

heres mckinley's squad photo from a few weeks ago. as you can see one of his eyes is bloodshot because he recently got another operation. he told me he was going to wait a while and see what results from the operation and if he couldn't see enough he was going to have to retire. this season he only had about 30% vision in the bad eye and light perception so its a miracle that he was able to perform to such a high standard. he was always ranked as leinsters next best prospect ahead of madigan even at out half til he injured his eye in ail game when one of his own players accidentally stepped on his eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 rugbybuff

so sorry to hear the news. such a fantastic talented player. he will be a huge loss. good luck to him in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Its a blow for Leinster and possibly for Ireland in the future because he looked like a talented prospect. That explains too why they got Berquist in, I'd say.

Good luck to him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

profitius wrote: »
    Its a blow for Leinster and possibly for Ireland in the future because he looked like a talented prospect. That explains too why they got Berquist in, I'd say.

Good luck to him.

No, the Berquist signing had nothing to do with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

How close to the bath away match will tickets go on sale for season ticket holders does anyone have an idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

durkadurka wrote: »

Do they have the app for iphone like last year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Do they have the app for iphone like last year?

Sorry got it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Gracelessly Tom

Theta wrote: »
    Sure this was only taken 2 weeks ago,

http://www.sportsfile.com/id/537881/

That's not McKinley!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,585 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Has anyone got any facts on McKinley? I.e is it actually true?

Fitz was out of the World Cup if you believed the rumours and people 'in the know'...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

copacetic wrote: »
    Has anyone got any facts on McKinley? I.e is it actually true?

Fitz was out of the World Cup if you believed the rumours and people 'in the know'...

Nothing is confirmed yet. The rumours about his eye are true, but a decision has yet to finalized.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭roycon

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/profiles/index.php?player=5036&includeref=dynamic

interesting stuff...as if we dont have enough second rows already. ed odonoghue is still listed as being part of the squad despite his absence from training or team related activities

• Advertisement

roycon wrote: »
    http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/profiles/index.php?player=5036&includeref=dynamic

interesting stuff...as if we dont have enough second rows already. ed odonoghue is still listed as being part of the squad despite his absence from training or team related activities

What's happened to EOD? He had two great seasons up here and was frequently the m.o.t.m. He really led from the front. Shame to see him move off the radar. No one here wanted him to leave but he obviously got a deal he couldn't turn down with Leinster, as did Isaac.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement