Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I'd be very surprised if Ruddock leaves at the end of the season. He will probably jump KvM this season, and may well feature in the same way KvM did last year, pushing SOB to 7. It's pretty clear Schmidt rates him seeing as he's given him the captain band at such an early age, and he will probably maintain that captaincy throughout the period of the WC. Plus, he and his brother are pretty settled here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Hagz wrote: »
    I'd be very surprised if Ruddock leaves at the end of the season. He will probably jump KvM this season, and may well feature in the same way KvM did last year, pushing SOB to 7. It's pretty clear Schmidt rates him seeing as he's given him the captain band at such an early age, and he will probably maintain that captaincy throughout the period of the WC. Plus, he and his brother are pretty settled here.

Even if he gets ahead of McLaughlin he's still outside the first choice backrow. He could be a star at any of the other provinces.

Even if he gets ahead of McLaughlin he's still outside the first choice backrow. He could be a star at any of the other provinces.

Maybe, but I know he's very attached to Leinster. IMO he will develop into a starter this year. He is an absolute animal and I'm predicting that come the tail end of the season Leinster's best back-row will be
    6. Ruddock
    7. SOB
    8. Heaslip

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Maybe, but I know he's very attached to Leinster. IMO he will develop into a starter this year. He is an absolute animal and I'm predicting that come the tail end of the season Leinster's best back-row will be
    6. Ruddock
    7. SOB
    8. Heaslip

Having seen Leinster play all season with and without Jennings I'd be surprised if he's usurped. If anyone got ahead of him I'd expect it to be Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

At the tail of last season in Leinster only SOB and Heaslip are first choice and McLaughlin vs Jennings was a decision based on opponent and with Schmidt deciding whether he wants a 7 or a very good lineout operator in the back row.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

I thought Ryan was ahead of ruddock too. He seemed to play in a few HEC games and made the bench more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭CouchSmart

durkadurka wrote: »
    I thought Ryan was ahead of ruddock too. He seemed to play in a few HEC games and made the bench more often.

Ruddock was held back last season due to IRFU player welfare stuff - because he was involved in the summer test against Aus. the previous June.

Ryan is a 7 that has played 6. Ruddock is equally at home at 6 or 8.

Both of them will be part of the Leinster back row for quite some time I'd imagine.

If Ryan continues his progress, Jennings will be ****ting himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Also, Ryan was given bench duty because he covers 6 and 7. SOB was the only one on the pitch in the quarter final who could play 7. Ruddock covers 6 and 8 which both SOB and McLaughlin can cover at a push. Really just a positional thing. Ruddock could have a big season I think and I can see him pushing past McLaughlin. I'm a big fan of Kev Mc but he doesn't have the physicality of Ruddock and whilst McLaughlin is a great line out operator, Ruddock isn't too shabby in this area himself.

The back row is going to be a real headache this season. The likes of McLaughlin, Ruddock and Ryan are all going to want HEC rugby. Heaslip, SOB and Jennings are a fantastic unit and Jennings is the oldest after just turning 30 a few weeks ago. Something has to give and I can see one of the second choice group leaving.

Yeah even if one if them is injured at any given time there'll be another not even making the bench.

• Advertisement

or, we might get a bit silly and try Ruddock and McLaughlin in the second row. Imagine a pack of

1 Healy
    2 Strauss
    3 Ross
    4 Ruddock
    5 McLaughlin
    6 SOB
    7 Jennings
    8 Heaslip

Never going to happen, but it'd be fun to watch them bulldoze teams.

What heighth is ruddock?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

What heighth is ruddock?

Are you thinking what I'm thinking Pinky?

Surely one of McL or Ruddock could play second row?
    Stick Sykes or Toner along with em and we're sorted!

He's 6'3" and built like a brick ****house.

He's a specimen alright...

He's 6'3" and built like a brick ****house.

Would he be far off Damien Browne's weight and height I wonder?

Btw, will be interesting to see how he gets on this year.

What heighth is ruddock?

He's 6'3". Surprisingly, he's a bit lighter than McLaughlin though according to Leinster Rugby stats. I'm dubious. Having stood alongside both, Ruddock is a monster. If he's only 16 stone 3lbs it must be pure muscle.

Would have thought mclaughlin would be the most likely of them to make the move to second row. It's a real problem area for Leinster and Ireland going forward.

I met Ruddock getting out of the 40 foot one morning, he was just there scaring the sharks off so his friends could swim.

GerM wrote: »
    He's 6'3". Surprisingly, he's a bit lighter than McLaughlin though according to Leinster Rugby stats. I'm dubious. Having stood alongside both, Ruddock is a monster. If he's only 16 stone 3lbs it must be pure muscle.

Wiki says 17st 7!!
    Jesus he must be more than low 16s anyway! He's ****ing huge!

• Advertisement

wixfjord wrote: »
    Would he be far off Damien Browne's weight and height I wonder?

Btw, will be interesting to see how he gets on this year.

He would be. Browne is a massive lump. He's in the Bob Casey/Nick Easter bracket at almost 20 stone. He'll be there to maul and tear limbs off opposition players. Wouldn't fancy lifting that.

Would have thought mclaughlin would be the most likely of them to make the move to second row. It's a real problem area for Leinster and Ireland going forward.

Quick q, never gonna happen, but would anyone swap Nagle for Ruddock?

I never really believe these stats.

GerM wrote: »
    He would be. Browne is a massive lump. He's in the Bob Casey/Nick Easter bracket at almost 20 stone. He'll be there to maul and tear limbs off opposition players. Wouldn't fancy lifting that.

The loss of Hines will hit us hard when it comes to defensive mauls, and holding up players.
    He was a pure master at that, and it's something which Leo doesn't do as well.
    DOC is very good at it aswell.

Really excited to see Sykes play, and Toner's development.
    Would be a real bonus for us if either Gannon, Browne or Locky turned in a few good games at lock.

wixfjord wrote: »
    Wiki says 17st 7!!
    Jesus he must be more than low 16s anyway! He's ****ing huge!

That's actually much closer. Leinster site must be way out of date. Just checked an interview with him from a few months ago where it says he's about 17.5 stone. Makes more sense.

Half thinking of going on Friday to look at the new guys. Absolutely itching for a live game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

6. Ruddock
    7. SOB
    8. Heaslip

Yes growing up in Dublin, dreaming of a senior cup medal and someday maybe wearing the blue jersey. He's Leinster through and through :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

1 Healy
    2 Strauss
    3 Ross
    4 Ruddock
    5 McLaughlin
    6 SOB
    7 Jennings
    8 Heaslip

Pop Ryan into the 7 spot and that is an obscene pack for ball carrying. Also has an average age of 24. Change Ross for Hagan and it's 23...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I can't see Ruddock moving on tbh. Leinster are one of the best, if not THE best, in Europe at developing young players. He's only 20 or 21, he will be first choice for Leinster within a couple of seasons imo, and even when he isn't he'll still get a huge amount of gametime over the course of the season.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be surprised if the Leinster site is right. I know for a fact he's down weight from last season. He's pure muscle and came out on top in the recent fitness competition.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement