Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Just reading in this morning's Examiner that former Leinster favourite (ahem), Adam Byrnes, has been named in the Russia squad for the World Cup, along with Vasily Artemiev.
    Seems very random but apparently two of his grandparents are Russian.

How hacked off would you be if you're some random Russian rugby player, toiling away for ages to make the squad and this journeyman is parachuted in at the last minute?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Just reading in this morning's Examiner that former Leinster favourite (ahem), Adam Byrnes, has been named in the Russia squad for the World Cup, along with Vasily Artemiev.
    Seems very random but apparently two of his grandparents are Russian.

How hacked off would you be if you're some random Russian rugby player, toiling away for ages to make the squad and this journeyman is parachuted in at the last minute?

I can just see him in the changing room, trying to fit in, by repeating, over and over 'compare the meerkat'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

I swear if the branch ever start sending out season tickets early I'm going to suspect the branch is financially fubared. Generally if you get them before the season actually starts your doing well

Mine arrived today Joe, do we need to start worrying?

Loving this idea of being able to get a single match ticket and email it to a friend, fair play to Leinster.

Noticed that , could be very handy. I'm very reluctant to loan my season ticket card out so emailing a PDF looks like a great solution.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,585 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

My ST arrived today also...

• Advertisement

With Wallace's injury today surely Jennings picks up a spot for the RWC?

Means we get to play
    6 McLaughlin
    7 Ryan
    8 Ruddock

for the first few weeks of "term". Sounds good to me!

That auva lad looked pretty tasty last night too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

durkadurka wrote: »
    That auva lad looked pretty tasty last night too.
    He'll provide decent cover but we would want to be carefull not to give him too much gametime at the expense of our young talent

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭David900

wixfjord wrote: »
    Quick q, never gonna happen, but would anyone swap Nagle for Ruddock?

Personally I don't think I would. As a Leinster fan I have really high hopes for Ruddock but I don't have the same expectations for Nagle. I agree it's probably bias on my part. I would however be willing to swap Kev for Nagle..... I'm sure we could throw in a back three player too to sweeten the deal :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

People often look for what players will leave Leinster due to being too good to be back-up. Go one the Leinster website and look at the amount of game time the second and even third choice squad players get...

Ruddock nor Ryan are going anywhere. We use our entire squad and both of these players are on the fringe of first team.

I would like to see McFadden overtake D'Arcy at 12 this season though, and I think Ryan is well able to push Jennings for the 7 jersey.

I think Carr and Conway will both push Fitzgerald this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭David900

I'd still argue the original point that Ruddock has a high chance of leaving, signaled by the fact he only signed a one year deal. I'd imagine it wasn't Leinster who offered him only a one year deal. This surely indicates that he doesn't want to tie himself to Leinster for a longer period given the talent in the back row.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

[Quote=[Jackass];74070363]...I would like to see McFadden overtake D'Arcy at 12 this season though, and I think Ryan is well able to push Jennings for the 7 jersey.

I think Carr and Conway will both push Fitzgerald this season.[/Quote]

Do you think McFadden will eclipse Darcy? I got my ass kicked for suggesting that on here a few months ago! I do think it possible though.

Jennings is probably still quite a bit ahead of Ryan, but Conway and Carr are certainly possible in the back three.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

ambid wrote: »
    Do you think McFadden will eclipse Darcy? I got my ass kicked for suggesting that on here a few months ago! I do think it possible though.

Jennings is probably still quite a bit ahead of Ryan, but Conway and Carr are certainly possible in the back three.

I think he already has.

He's never been picked ahead of darcy. I can't remember the last time darcy didn't play when fit for a big game. Could happen this year though.

he's played 11,13 and 14 far more times for Leinster than he has played 12 btw...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

durkadurka wrote: »
    He's never been picked ahead of darcy. I can't remember the last time darcy didn't play when fit for a big game. Could happen this year though.

I think it might have been away to Brive in 09/10, Fitz started in the centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

You could see quite a few changes to Leinster's first choice back line this season. BOD will still be there obviously and Kearney is a welcome addtion back. But expect to see McFadden, Conway as well as Carr feature in the HC matches as well as the Magne.... Rabo Direct Pro 12:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

At the end of last season I was rating it as a 50/50 call between McFadden and D'arcy and a 50/50 call between McFadden and Fitz

I think McFadden will claim the 12 shirt this year unless Fitz moves to center during the WC and it is a massive success

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

he's played 11,13 and 14 far more times for Leinster than he has played 12 btw...

D'Arcy started out as a full back and then a right wing (with Horgan playing 12).

McFadden is versatile, but when the centre spot is open, it's been McFadden 12, O'Malley 13, where McFadden is best imo. I think he's already ahead of D'Arcy, who's form has been touch and go for a while. Great strong running game and good boot to compliment the jersey, I think he's done enough to get past D'Arcy by now. (although arguably not as solid in defence)

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

[Jackass] wrote: »
    D'Arcy started out as a full back and then a right wing (with Horgan playing 12).

McFadden is versatile, but when the centre spot is open, it's been McFadden 12, O'Malley 13, where McFadden is best imo. I think he's already ahead of D'Arcy, who's form has been touch and go for a while. Great strong running game and good boot to compliment the jersey, I think he's done enough to get past D'Arcy by now. (although arguably not as solid in defence)

I'm actually of the opposite opinion about MCF. I don't think he's a great 12, and a far better 13. Think he's a little bit shackled, and his creative play isn't great for a 12. Time will tell though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Leinster Rugby Statement...

"Following the allegations made by a Northampton Saints player in the aftermath of Friday night's friendly between Leinster Rugby and Northampton Saints, Leinster Rugby acknowledge that there was an exchange during the match between two Leinster players which was misinterpreted...
    It was regrettable that any offence was caused. Both clubs have agreed that the matter is now closed and will now focus on preparing for their respective league campaigns."

Fairly annoyed and dissapointed about this.
    Smells of a cover up, and if not, then surely Mujati deserves reprimanding for the false comments?

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

shuffol wrote: »
    there was an exchange during the match between two Leinster players which was misinterpreted...

Players mouth off to each other all the time, it certainly could just be a misinterpretation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

The claim is that it's used as a trigger call in the scrum. If it is, it's the oddest trigger call I've ever heard of but I've heard some odd ones in the past. For example I played against a team that used a call at a set piece called the "Ooga booga" which could absolutely be interpreted as racist if they were to come up against a coloured player. In fairness, Mujati did say in his claim that it was taking place at the scrums so it is plausible.

GerM wrote: »
    The claim is that it's used as a trigger call in the scrum. If it is, it's the oddest trigger call I've ever heard of but I've heard some odd ones in the past. For example I played against a team that used a call at a set piece called the "Ooga booga" which could absolutely be interpreted as racist if they were to come up against a coloured player. In fairness, Mujati did say in his claim that it was taking place at the scrums so it is plausible.

Plausible indeed, but it's also plausible that it may be a trigger in the scrum, which was also racist, ie to target Mujati?

Certainly a strange one, when there are only 2 Saffers in our pack. I'd wonder if Sean Cronin for example speaks Afrikaans...

A Leinster scrum call, "baboon"?

come off it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

I've heard weirder calls, Emmet. It's a strange one though that would be right up there. I'm not happy with the resolution and the ambiguous response from LR. Leinster will know if its true after the investigation. I would be disappointed if it's a sweep under the carpet job and LR should move to terminate the two in question. It's bizarre though. Would they really call it with Auva'a packing down alongside them or after VDM played with Mujati for the Lions? Do they think they can use a racist term throughout their games and they would never be pulled on it? Either they're telling the truth or they're unbelievably stupid and racist.

Mujatis twitter profile reads ' no misunderstandings here, the truth is obvious'

Hes Not letting this one go. I' m torn between 'mujati is a tool' and 'the players are racists.'

It's an absolute whitewash for sure no matter what happened.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Seems to of taken that down now. I really dont know what to think of this, I think LR should elaborate a bit more on the lads side of the story!

• Advertisement

Has taken it down now.
    Is this guy a nutter?!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement