Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭RoryMc23

I doubt that two players would be stupid enough to use racist language when there was a coloured player in the Leinster pack as well. VDM also played with Mujati for the Lions which again brings doubt over the claim. Another issue is the fact that Strauss, their team mate, has done a lot of charitable work promoting equality, and I doubt they would engage in such behaviour considering how strongly Strauss feels about the issue.

Sykes was behind VDM pushing in the scrums so it being a trigger word makes sense. Baboon isn't a racist term though perhaps the players should have foresaw how it could be interpreted considering how PC the world is currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

It's still there! It's his profile, not a tweet.

If anyone can tell mr how to upload a pic From an iPhone I'll show ye!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

durkadurka wrote: »
    It's still there! It's his profile, not a tweet.

If anyone can tell mr how to upload a pic From an iPhone I'll show ye!

No, he's taken it down and it's now a pic of him and "No Drama"!

http://twitpic.com/6cquu2

This is what it was anyhow

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

He's constantly changing his profile and picture, maybe the lad likes just being in the limelight?

• Advertisement

#twittergate

I notice he also deleted his mildly irritating tweet about irish drunks etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,485 ✭✭✭Heroditas

A Leinster scrum call, "baboon"?

come off it

Or they could have been using the Afrikaans version of it: "bobbejaan"

Heroditas wrote: »
    Or they could have been using the Afrikaans version of it: "bobbejaan"

or they could have just been racist slurs.

Which unfortunately is the most realistic of these options.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

Considering his weird, weird behaviour, I'm not really sure whether to believe him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Can anyone tell me who exactly is supposed to have said what exactly to whom exactly, I haven't been following this.

tolosenc wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me who exactly is supposed to have said what exactly to whom exactly, I haven't been following this.

Brian Mujati yesterday tweeted that Sykes and VdM were calling him a baboon at scrum time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Following scans at the weekend, Eamonn Sheridan’s knee injury is worse than first thought. Ligament damage is likely to rule him out until the new year.

Steven Sykes suffered a medial ligament injury which is expected to rule him out for the opening two to three weeks of the campaign while Andrew Conway damaged his ankle which will rule the Ireland Under-20 back out of Friday night’s game in Wales.

The Leinster squad trained in UCD on Monday afternoon ahead of the RaboDirect PRO12 season opener this Friday night against the Ospreys in the Liberty Stadium (KO: 7.05pm)...

Isa Nacewa, Eoin O’Malley and Richardt Strauss are expected to be available for selection ahead of Leinster’s trip to Swansea this weekend. O’Malley was a late withdrawal from the line up for the Bank of Ireland Series clash with Northampton due to illness.
    Following scans at the weekend, Eamonn Sheridan’s knee injury is worse than first thought. Ligament damage is likely to rule him out until the new year.

Steven Sykes suffered a medial ligament injury which is expected to rule him out for the opening two to three weeks of the campaign while Andrew Conway damaged his ankle which will rule the Ireland Under-20 back out of Friday night’s game in Wales.

Shane Jennings’ call up to the Ireland World Cup squad means that there will be 14 Leinster representatives on duty in New Zealand including Isaac Boss and debutant Sean Cronin who both featured in the Bank of Ireland Series game against Northampton Saints on Friday night.

David Kearney successfully came through his first game of the season while the squad will also include Fionn Carr who scored his first competitive try on Friday night since his return to the province this summer. Other Leinster Academy graduates in the mix are Jamie Hagan, Rhys Ruddock and Dominic Ryan.

The team will be announced on Thursday lunchtime.

So Sykes is injured for the first few weeks, wonder if there might be a sneaky withdrawal of VdM as well?

For me the case above hasn't been answered at all by the Leinster press release, and subsequent Mujati tweet.

The only "nearly-plausible" situation I've seen reported is that they were calling him a 'babajoon' which translates to baboon and in Afrikaans context is used to describe an idiot. But even that seems a bit flaky to me

Emmet, I think you don't quite get what 'sweeping under the carpet' means.;)

An Irish solution to an Irish problem.....Or should that be an Irish solution to a South African problem...

I'm surprised the press release didnt end with 'Now let's never speak of this again.'

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

durkadurka wrote: »
    Emmet, I think you don't quite get what 'sweeping under the carpet' means.;)
    '

I'm still waiting for someone in the Leinster branch to try and buy me off to delete all reference to it here.

p.s. I'm not insinuating anyone in Leinster would do that.

p.p.s. but just in case I'm pretty easy to buy off, a new jersey would probably seal it

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I'm still waiting for someone in the Leinster branch to try and buy me off to delete all reference to it here.

p.s. I'm not insinuating anyone in Leinster would do that.

p.p.s. but just in case I'm pretty easy to buy off, a new jersey would probably seal it

The navy and light blue training jersey is due out soon. Could be a nice one to go for...:pac:

molloyjh wrote: »
    The navy and light blue training jersey is due out soon. Could be a nice one to go for...:pac:

That and one of those drinks holder thingies....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

So Sykes is injured for the first few weeks, wonder if there might be a sneaky withdrawal of VdM as well?
    e

Didn't Sykes come off early injured on Friday? Unless the coaching staff can now see into the future (I wouldn't be surprised if Joe could) then I think you're making something out of nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

So Fitz to 12 then? Or O'Malley to 12 and Macken to 13?

Might it mess Fitz around to move him, or do we need him at 12 as we have lots of strength in the back three but are short in midfield?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

ambid wrote: »

Might it mess Fitz around to move him, or do we need him at 12 as we have lots of strength in the back three but are short in midfield?

I'd say O'Malley to 12 and Macken to 13.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Special Report on Sky Sports News is doing a special on BOD. Just starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

ambid wrote: »

On the other hand if Fitz is to be tried at centre once more now could be the time to do it. With no BOD he'd have a bit of time (hopefully more than that) to settle in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Or we could see Madigan at 10 and Berquist at 12. Not what I would do, but a possibility.

Think I'd like to see Fitz in the centre on account of our strength in the back three and relative weakness at centre. If it doesn't work out no worries, but worth a shot imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭CouchSmart

Irish Times mentions Schmidt thinking of trying O'Malley and Macken in the centre. I'd say they'll start there this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

WeeBushy wrote: »
    Or we could see Madigan at 10 and Berquist at 12. Not what I would do, but a possibility.

Think I'd like to see Fitz in the centre on account of our strength in the back three and relative weakness at centre. If it doesn't work out no worries, but worth a shot imo.
    I reckon we will see Madigan at 10 and Berquist at 12 a couple of times during the WC but probably not this week. We want to start with wins

Sheridan had injuries last season as well didn't he? Does anyone know what was wrong with him. Is it a reoccuring injury or just bad luck to pick up different injuries

this would be my team
    VDM
    Strauss
    Hagan
    Toner
    Browne
    McLaughlin
    Ryan
    Ruddock
    Cooney
    Berquist
    Carr
    Fitzgerald
    O'Malley
    Conway
    Nacewa

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

+1 on that team, except is Conway not injured? Thought he picked up a small injury. Could be wrong though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

WeeBushy wrote: »
    +1 on that team, except is Conway not injured? Thought he picked up a small injury. Could be wrong though.

No you're right. Ankle ligament. It'll either be a wing combo of Carr+Fitzgerald or Carr+Kearney.

I'd like to see this team
    1. VDM
    2. Strauss
    3. Hagan
    4. Flanagan
    5. Toner
    6. KvM
    7. Ryan
    8. Ruddock
    9. Cooney
    10. Berquist
    11. Carr
    12. EOM
    13. Macken
    14. Fitzgerald
    15. Nacewa

16. Dundon
    17. O'Connell
    18. McGrath
    19. Browne
    20. Auva'a
    21. Willis
    22. Madigan
    23. Kearney

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

For me the case above hasn't been answered at all by the Leinster press release, and subsequent Mujati tweet.

The only "nearly-plausible" situation I've seen reported is that they were calling him a 'babajoon' which translates to baboon and in Afrikaans context is used to describe an idiot. But even that seems a bit flaky to me

I read somewhere that it was used as a code/tactic call in the scrum? Something that they brought from south africa? Must try and find where i saw that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭conf101

I read somewhere that it was used as a code/tactic call in the scrum? Something that they brought from south africa? Must try and find where i saw that...

It was mentioned a few times in a thread on it over on leinsterfans. Don't know where it came from first though

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement