Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

conf101 wrote: »
    It was mentioned a few times in a thread on it over on leinsterfans. Don't know where it came from first though
    I think Brendan Fanning mentioned it in one of the sunday papers.

If so I hope they investigate who picked the call for racism.

Fun fact Ireland had a lineout call something like IRA 14 a few years back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

I read somewhere that it was used as a code/tactic call in the scrum? Something that they brought from south africa? Must try and find where i saw that...

It supposedly stems from a tactic used at the Sharks where a lock throws a few sneaky punches at the opposition prop when he's boring in. If posts on LF are to believed, the Sharks were contacted to confirm this in the investigation.

In relation to Friday, I'm excited to see Macken get a proper run out with the senior team. He has some of the raw materials that are needed to become a top player but he needs experience and to improve on some aspects. Hopefully Schmidt brings him along this season.

We've the players there to put out a very physical pack and I'd go with Browne in the second row with Toner to add some serious bulk with McLaughlin doing most of the jumping with Toner. The Ospreys are missing a glut of players also but they're at home and they have the players to put out a fairly tough and experienced pack that will be very strong on their own turf.

Bit concerned about halfback. Would be far happier if Cooney had a start against Northampton rather than Boss getting some games for the Irish side. Going into the season with a temporary signing and a bloke who has had 1 start with the senior side in a friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Even if it is a scrum call, the Leinster Saffers have either taken a few too many bangs to the head/are ignorant/are racist.

It would be like POC calling "Orange B*stard" when he wants to call the ball to himself in the lineout. The big issue is if he would innocently/ignorantly scream it at the hooker because its the call to give it to him because he is ginger, or if he would save that call for when Best is on the field.

Even if it is a scrum call, the Leinster Saffers have either taken a few too many bangs to the head/are ignorant/are racist.

It would be like POC calling "Orange B*stard" when he wants to call the ball to himself in the lineout. The big issue is if he would innocently/ignorantly scream it at the hooker because its the call to give it to him because he is ginger, or if he would save that call for when Best is on the field.

It wouldn't be. It would be if the lads called "Bobbejaan b*stard" or POC called "Orange". The term "B*stard" is obviously demeaning in whatever context you use it whether against someone else or in self deprecation. The term bobbejaan has several meanings including the term they use for an adjustable spanner in South Africa i.e. sliding in and out of position.

It's incredibly dense from the two lads though even if it was used in that context though. It would be easily proven if it was a case of racist abuse; Brett Sharman, a born and bred South African, was playing hooker for Northampton on the night beside Mujati. If it is racism, then Northampton and Leinster are both playing along in a cover up.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

This is a strange case in that it's Mujati's word against Leinster's. No other player has commented on it. I'm not sure if Northampton have?

Considering how many players are in a scrum it's very strange.

Even when the Ospreys lad said Marcus Horan made racist comments against him Shane Willaims backed them up. This later turned out to be him lying though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

CatFromHue wrote: »
    This is a strange case in that it's Mujati's word against Leinster's. No other player has commented on it. I'm not sure if Northampton have?

Considering how many players are in a scrum it's very strange.

There's a huge amount of noise at scrum time so the likelyhood of that many players hearing anythine being said between one player and another is low. There probably isn't any supporting evidence one way or the other so it lies between what individuals may or may not have heard.

Even when the Ospreys lad said Marcus Horan made racist comments against him Shane Willaims backed them up. This later turned out to be him lying though

I think the problem for Shane and Ospreys at the time was the ref mic was used to check the incident and Marcus was found not to made any racial remarks.

Overall this is a tough one to prove guilt or innocence, the big problem for the players being blamed for the comments is that it will hang over them now and should another players make a similar claim it will be a case of "there's no smoke without fire".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Grim tidings friends. Chris Malone ex London Irish and Harlequins has retired from professional rugby.

I think we should all take a moment to remember a man who was vital to Leinsters HC cup runs of 2009 and 2010 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭cython

McKinley retiring due to injury. Very sad to see, poor guy is only 21, and has lost the sight in his left eye. I wish him all the best in the future.
    Ian McKinley
    Stephen McCarthy / SPORTSFILE
    Leinster Rugby regret to announce the immediate retirement of out-half Ian McKinley due to an injury that has resulted in him losing the sight in his left eye...

McKinley, 21, played six times for Leinster after making his debut away to the Dragons in May 2009. Following a severe eye injury in January 2010, he played four times last season scoring a try in his Man of the Match display for the province in the league victory over Benetton Treviso in the RDS last February.
    The former St. Columba’s playmaker graduated from the Leinster Academy in May with a HETAC diploma and was then rewarded with his first professional contract. This was achieved after an incredible recovery from the serious eye injury, which happened in an All-Ireland League game for his then club UCD, against Lansdowne.

Commenting on his decision, Ian McKinley said: “After the accident happened I was advised that a cataract would develop, but the surgeon was surprised that it did not happen until 18 months after the initial incident.

“I was determined to overcome the temporary loss of sight and get back playing rugby so I was thrilled to return to training in July 2010, six months after the accident. It was such a great source of relief to get the chance to pull on the Leinster jersey again.

“In May, though, I played a game for the Leinster Development side and I had to stop after 15 minutes because of blurred vision. I then sustained a detached retina a week before pre-season and three operations over this summer couldn’t save my sight in that eye.

“I officially advised Joe (Schmidt) about my decision (to retire) last week after consulting with Mr Billy Power in the Eye & Ear Hospital. While I am very upset by this turn of events, now it’s about planning the next stage in my life. I have been in and out of Riverview a fair bit and I have a lot of interests outside of the game.

“At this point I like the idea of maybe pursuing a career in coaching. I’m also exploring the possibility of going back to college and I’m currently in training with Jason Cowman (Leinster Strength & Conditioning Coach) for a triathlon in Portmarnock on September 24th.

“I’m trying to stay positive because there are bigger issues in life that people face everyday and everyone has been so incredibly supportive.

“I will always remember when I captained Ireland against Samoa in the Under-20 World Cup in Japan in 2009 as a particular point of pride in my career.

“I would like to thank my family, my girlfriend Cordelia, Mr Power and all of his colleagues in the Eye & Ear Hospital who oversaw the operations from the start in consultation with Leinster’s Professor Arthur Tanner and all of the medical staff at Leinster.

“I thoroughly enjoyed my playing career and I’m deeply appreciative of my team-mates, the coaching and support staff and all of the supporters who provided me with so many wonderful memories.”

Leinster Coach Joe Schmidt added: “It is always a sad time whenever a player has to call time on his career, but it is especially difficult when a player with as bright a future in the game as Ian has to make the decision so prematurely.

“The courage and determination that Ian displayed in firstly coming back from the loss of sight and then to force his way back into the team is indicative of both his strength of character and his playing ability. His dedication to recover from the initial accident was an inspiration to his team-mates and he was, and remains, a popular member of the squad.

“I know that Ian will be successful in whatever he decides to do over the next few years and I would like to thank him for his significant contribution to the success of the province over the course of his career.”

Name: Ian McKinley
    DOB: 4th December 1989
    Birthplace: Dublin
    Height: 1.80 m (5' 11")
    Weight: 90 kg (14 st 2 lb)
    Position: Fly Half / Centre
    Club: St. Mary's College RFC
    School: St. Columba's College, Rathfarnham

Leinster Caps: 6
    Leinster 'A' Caps: 5 (v Bristol, Munster x2, Ulster, Connacht)
    British & Irish Cup Caps: 8 (v Plymouth Albion x2, Cornish Pirates x2, Newport, Worcester Warriors, Currie, Bedford Blues)

Ireland Under-20 Caps: 9 (v France, Italy, England, Scotland, Wales, Argentina, New Zealand, Wales, Samoa)
    Leinster Under-20 Caps: 4 (v English Counties, Ulster, Munster, Connacht)
    Ireland Under-19 Caps: 2 (v Italy, France)
    Leinster Under-19 Caps: 3 (v Ulster, Munster, Connacht)
    Leinster Schools (Under-19) Caps: 4 (v Bedford Academy, Munster, Connacht, Ulster)
    Leinster Schools 'A' Caps: 3 (v Connacht x2, Munster)
    Source

Unbelievably tragic to not only lose his career but entirely lose the sight in his eye also. When he was playing schools he had a level of poise, control and class that overshadowed anyone else on the field. That level of calmness and class transferred to the senior stage when he made his debut at 10 away to the Dragons a few years ago and calmly slotted a drop goal whilst pulling the strings behind a beaten pack. The tackle on Xavier Rush 5m from his line last season showed he wasn't just someone who excelled with the ball in hand. A fully fit Ian McKinley would have undoubtedly gained a glut of caps for his country at senior level. One of the very best players at underage that I have seen play in this country. Wish him all the best in whatever path his life takes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

gutted for him. He was only getting started...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Absolutely tragic. For Leinster and Ireland, as well as McKinley himself, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

Such a terrible shame. What a player he was becoming.

I hope Leinster look after him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Sport can be so cruel. Really sh1t news for eveyone. I hope leinster or the OLSC organise some kind of tribute or send off for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

Didn't know anything much about him other than what I read here and thats was always positive. Hate to see a player having to retire due to injury and it seems even worse for a professional player in his prime.

Best of luck Ian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Terrible news

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Depressing news, puts the injury setbacks of other players in perspective really.

On the plus side, he's young enough to make a go of whatever he decides to do with his life and hopefully he'll have better luck in the future. Would be nice to see him get a send-off at the next home game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Devastated for him! Very physical fly-half, hence why my biggest memory of him is this try saving tackle:

Wish him every success in life!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Terrible news! Such a pity, definitely one of the few rising backline stars to replace the 'old guard' at international level. A born rugby man, I hope he sticks with the sport as a coaching role atleast.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭smurphy29

Sad news alright. He certainly caught my attention in a couple of cameos last year, not least his MOTM performance against Treviso. Looked like he could be a future Leinster and even ireland fly-half. A real shame. Best of luck to him.

*mod edited and following posts removed*

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Truthfully I only hope that the injury won't have a major impact on his own life, especially having had the chances of a glittering career taken from him at such a young age.

• Advertisement

Absolutely devastated for him. I know the player involved in the accident very well, and am worried about him too tbh.

What a horrible horrible situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Thats bad news especially the nature of the injury. He looked like a really good player.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Rickwellwood

Awful awful news a super talent and only 21 and forced to retire... shocked.
    Wish him well in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

That's terrible news.

Hopefully Ian McKinley can go on and have a great carear at what ever it is he chooses to do next. However this must be a big loss to him, never mind what Leinster and potentially Ireland have lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,670 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

terrible news - hopefully he can use his ability in other sports , such as soccer - especially being so young and gifted

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭kennedmc

Real shame as he looked a good player. Particularly like this line in his statement:

“I’m trying to stay positive because there are bigger issues in life that people face everyday and everyone has been so incredibly supportive."

Now that's real character in a young man which will hold him in good stead no matter what path he takes in life.

Best of luck Ian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Wish him the best of luck in the future, will be a real loss to Leinster.

Second potential Irish international along with David Pollock forced to retire in the past year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Hey

Match is on BBC Wales, any idea how to get on Sky TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Hey

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055520627

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Hey

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055520627

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement