Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

mrboswell wrote: »
    Saw them training the other day - looking sharp.
    Heinke van der Merwe looks seriously strong - wonder how he'll scrummage...

He was arguably the best scrummaging LH in SA before he got injured a while back, but he's been poor since coming back from injury. Remains to be seen really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭stejkenny

danthefan wrote: »
    He was arguably the best scrummaging LH in SA before he got injured a while back, but he's been poor since coming back from injury. Remains to be seen really.
    Still probably ten times the player Healy is; more interested in if Mike Ross can chase a ball instead of pies this year under the new regime; he looks, if mobile enough, the real deal TH and hes Irish.

stejkenny wrote: »
    Still probably ten times the player Healy is; more interested in if Mike Ross can chase a ball instead of pies this year under the new regime; he looks, if mobile enough, the real deal TH and hes Irish.

That is one hell of an estimation of abilities...

And we talk about other teams "bigging up" their players?

If he's 1.2 times the player Healy is he'll be world class!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

Not really - Healy is still a poor scrummager.
    If it wasn't for his strength he's be in serious trouble and still is depending pon his opposition. Until he sorts out his technique he'll only be rated for his work in the loose.

He's definitely not a world class scrummager......yet....let's wait and see...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭LFC5Times

I heard Leinster are signing or have signed an Argentinian second-row for a few months while Cullen is out, is this true or am I hearing things again :D

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

LFC5Times wrote: »
    I heard Leinster are signing or have signed an Argentinian second-row for a few months while Cullen is out, is this true or am I hearing things again :D

Yes indeed, Mariano Galarza on a 6 month contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Does anyone know much about this Galarza guy? I've never seen him play...
    danthefan wrote: »
    Cheika has basically fluent French afaik, after the Clermont QF I passed by him having a good chat with a load of Clermont fans at the back of the Anglesea stand.

At one point, they even refer to him as a francophone, and then he goes on to talk about having learnt a new word (la gniac [nyak] - the desire to overcome/win). His French is really good, obviously not gonna be perfect, but still. His accent is a bit strange, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭thehighground

tolosenc wrote: »
    Does anyone know much about this Galarza guy? I've never seen him play...

At one point, they even refer to him as a francophone, and then he goes on to talk about having learnt a new word (la gniac [nyak] - the desire to overcome/win). His French is really good, obviously not gonna be perfect, but still. His accent is a bit strange, though.

His parents were Lebanese I think and they probably spoke French. Would account for the unusual French accent anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

tolosenc wrote: »
    . His accent is a bit strange, though.

Its an Austraaaaaaaalian accent. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭stejkenny

A props first and foremost job is his setpiece; without that he is pretty useless and will always hold a team back;

If a prop cannot scrummage properly against quality scrummagers than good teams will target that weakness;

Over the past year every single international team playing Ireland have targeted are weetabix scrum because its crap; an old man on one side who cant scrum and a young man on the other side who cant scrum and nothing else on the bench;

If this bok prop can scrum and run were laughing; if Scmidtt can get Ross to run than even better because than Ireland might have somebody that can hold the tight head side of the scrum; whereas right now we dont have anything on either side of the scrum;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQsfnktHQCE

40 seconds into this clip; that is what you want a prop doing morning noon night and day; anything else is a plus

• Advertisement

It's a little Ozzie, a little French and a little bit something else (possibly Lebanese).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

It looks like Stan is out for the season after rupturing his achilles in the Wasps game.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/wright-ruled-out-for-season-2307308.html

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭jimmybeige

Very big blow to Leinster. He'll be especially missed when the Irish players are on International duty, but he's really become an important player for them in recent times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭2040

The Leinster team to face Leicester Tigers in Welford Road (KO: 7.30pm) in Friday night's final warm up before the start of the Magners League season has been named...
    6Share
    Fergus McFadden, a replacement against London Wasps last weekend, partners Eoin O’Malley at centre for the trip to Leicester, with a new half-back pairing of Isaac Boss and Ian McKinley.

Luke Fitzgerald continues at full-back and forms a back three with David Kearney and Niall Morris.
    In the pack Nathan Hines starts in the second row alongside Devin Toner, with skipper Sean O’Brien forming a new back-row alongside Dominic Ryan and Stephen Keogh.

Ballymena tight-head prop Simon Shawe gets an opportunity at this level and starts in the front row alongside Heinke van der Merwe and Richardt Strauss.

Summer signing Ed O’Donoghue is named amongst the replacements.

LEINSTER:

15: Luke Fitzgerald
    14: David Kearney
    13: Eoin O’Malley
    12: Fergus McFadden
    11: Niall Morris
    10: Ian McKinley
    9: Isaac Boss

1: Heinke van der Merwe
    2: Richardt Strauss
    3: Simon Shawe
    4: Nathan Hines
    5: Devin Toner
    6: Dominic Ryan
    7: Sean O’Brien CAPTAIN
    8: Stephen Keogh

REPLACEMENTS: Jason Harris-Wright, Jack McGrath, Stewart Maguire, Ed O’Donoghue, Paul Ryan, Paul O’Donohoe, Isa Nacewa, Michael Keating, Mariano Galarza, Eoin Sheriff, Ian Madigan, Eamonn Sheridan
    http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/newsroom/4987.php

Leicester will probably field a near full strength team again, which is a bit unfair.

Whats Simon Shawe like, anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Not good enough to be in Ulster senior squad at age 30 or so. Plays for Ballimina in AIL i think.

No idea why he is lining out for Leinster, probably just so they don't have to give one of the young lads a full game, but I'd be surprised if it was anything more than that.

At best he might be lining out in case Leinster can find no one to sign as a 3 and he would possibly be emergency cover as last choice 3 behind the likes of McCormack! :eek:

Cool looking team, again a pity we wont see this unless we travel (unlikely!)

Young players will only improve says coach...

We will see plenty of Leinster's younger players this year and we will see them improve over the season, according to Leinster's new head coach Joe Schmidt...
    A crowd of over 200 supporters filled Old Wesley after the game on Friday to hear from the new coaching ticket for the first time at the OLSC hosted a 'Meet the Coaches Night'.

Referring to the last time he coached a team at a match in Ireland, as backs coach for ASM Clermont Ferrand in last season's Heineken Cup quarter final, Schmidt quipped that after the loss in the friendly encounter with London Wasps on Friday he was "fed up losing in Dublin".

On a more positive note Schmidt said that the experience gained by the younger players in Friday's match would stand to them in the future. " We are going to see lots of those younger players over the season and we are going to the the privilege of watching them improve," he said.

When asked about the challenge of having to compete against the big spending French sides, Schmidt said that he felt the salaries being offered at the moment in France were not sustainable. He said Leinster needed to bring through Academy players and that the bonus in that system was that "these guys are Leinster boys and want to play for Leinster, something that can't be paid for."

He also added that any of these players might be the stars of the future.

There were several questions around the topics of law interpretation and the recent changes surrounding the breakdown. forwards coach Jono Gibbes said that the emphasis had changed from defence-oriented to attack-oriented. "For me, not encouraging a contest for the ball is a bad thing," he said.

Scrum coach Greg Feak explained how technology and the use of GPS systems were used in training and the old gym versus skills debate was handled by senior skills and kicking coach Richie Murphy - with skills winning out unsurprisingly.

All the coaches said that they were looking forward to playing in the Aviva Stadium in what would be a great occasion but a very tough encounter against Munster.

There is plenty of rugby to be played before then however, and they were all eagerly anticipating the first home game of the season in the RDS on September 11th.

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/newsroom/4975.php

Cullen predicts testing term for Leinster

Leo Cullen has admitted that his Leinster side will be tested to the maximum this Magners League season following a run of injuries in Dublin.

The captain and lock, who is currently out with a shoulder dislocation picked up during 2009/10, will be hoping to lead his men one step further than their league and Heineken Cup knockout finishes last term.

But with his own injury coupled by Stan Wright rupturing an Achilles, the Irish provincial forward revealed that the problems are an issue.

"It's been a tough start with injuries. It will be tough, realistically, for the first month with guys filtering back into it, but that's just the nature of the system," said Cullen, speaking to Irish Independent.

"I think our squad is going to be tested to the limit. You're bringing on inexperienced guys instead of experienced internationals, so there's going to be a bit of difference in levels.

"Guys are going to be missing at various stages. But to finish high up in the Magners you're going to have to rely on your squad.

"Last year we finished first in the league and the squad did really, really well, guys stepped up.

"I think we have got a lot of really talented young fellas coming through. it can be a bit dangerous relying on younger guys, but if they are brought through in the right way it's really exciting times.

"Some guys still have improving to do but we're limited in who we can sign. But we have a very good academy system and we're going to have to lean on them pretty heavily at times which is a tough ask."

Supporters in Dublin will be following a new era this coming campaign following the departure of long-time coach Michael Cheika to Stade Francais.

Into his shoes comes former Clermont guru Joe Schmidt and according to Cullen, the change has been a positive one thus far.

"Joe is trying to get his ideas across and work on the patterns and the way he wants to play. It's fresh, there's new ideas and it's an exciting time," he explained.

"I'm hoping to get back into it maybe next week, get back on the pitch and maybe do some more skill-oriented work with the team.

"It will be a few more weeks before I'm able to do the contact stuff. Generally, it's a four-to-six month procedure and I'm only out three months now. I'm making good progress, but unfortunately you can't speed up time."

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3825_6341707,00.html

Cool looking team, again a pity we wont see this unless we travel (unlikely!)

You can get highlights to all Leinster games on the website.

The Wasps "highlights" are already up, I'd imagine the Leicester game will be up in the near future.

Check here: http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/mdtv/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Mr.BBunny

I have played against Shawe and have to say he is the best scrummaging tighthead I have played against.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Mr.BBunny wrote: »
    I have played against Shawe and have to say he is the best scrummaging tighthead I have played against.

Well I didn't see the game but our scrum was apparently destroyed by Leicester and was nowhere near the fitness levels needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Teej

New prop Ben Prescott signed from Nottingham on 1 yr deal

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/rugby/2010/0901/1224278034997.html
    Leinster bring in Prescott as cover

Rugby team news: Having had their hand forced by the serious and untimely injury to prop Stan Wright, Leinster have moved to strengthen their front row options with the signing of Ben Prescott.
    The unheralded 32-year-old arrives from English championship side Nottingham and has put pen to paper on a one-year deal. Although born in Libya, Prescott actually qualifies for Ireland but has never been capped at any level.
    Leinster will hope to have as much good fortune in their transfer dealings as they did in bringing Wright to the province in 2006. The Cook Islander, who will be out of action for six months after rupturing an Achilles tendon, arrived as a relative unknown but has gone on to prove an invaluable member of the Leinster set-up.
    “We are pleased to complete a deal for Ben and he will add further competition to the pack, especially in light of the unfortunate long-term injury to Stan Wright,” team manager Guy Easterby said this afternoon.
    “Ben trained with the squad this week and we are confident that his experience and ability will be a welcome addition to the panel for the remainder of the season.”
    Prescott could be pressed into action as early as Friday night when last year’s beaten finalists open their Magners League campaign away to Glasgow. The new arrival is included in a 24-man squad alongside the likes of Ireland internationals Jamie Heaslip, Sean O’Brien and Luke Fitzgerald. Coach Josef Schmidt will name his starting line-up tomorrow afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Jaysus we really had our hand pressed on this with Ross's calf strain.

I'll reserve judgement on him till I see him in action.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

Does anybody know when the International players will be back in the team?

They'll be back for the Munster match. Don't know about before then. Quite possibly gone for the entirity of September.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

tomred1 wrote: »
    Does anybody know when the International players will be back in the team?

They're all available from game week 2 according to the IRFU but they seem to have forgotten to tell the leinster managment as they had the players pre season geared towards them coming back beginning of October

• Registered Users Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭ongarite

Tickets for the Saracens-Leinster game are on sale this morning at 10am for season ticket holders.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Kyle Tonetti scored a debut try for Sale as they beat Harlequins tonight. He's getting plenty of gametime there.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/english/8994300.stm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

He always was a rather impressive player.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement