Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

phog wrote: »
    Never liked her since she demanded to know was EOS going to resign and he still on the field with the team after one of the internationals.

Didn't know it was the same person. That was an awful interview with O'Sullivan alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭rockman15

aye after the Argentina game.

*facepalm*

matt cooper annoys the face off me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

durkadurka wrote: »
    Who was it who described her as the work experience girl?

Matt Williams. Setanta showed the interview via TV3 feed and Williams was appalled at the questioning minutes after the game. He had a point in fairness. There's a time and a place and she was just being a tool trying to make a name for herself. EOS would have been devastated at the time and she looked to capitalise on any possible emotion or upset. There's no way he'll be able to provide a coherent answer that would give an insight into his genuine thoughts. He answered the question properly in the press conference after he had composed himself.

She has taken a similar line of questioning with players in the past such as asking Hickie at the time do the players want EOS sacked which was ridiculous to ask. Gutter journalism. I've seen some of the rubbish she has posted on her Twitter page in the past on LF and her level of inside information is inaccurate to say the least. I would suspect a lot of players are extremely wary of her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

I think she was perfectly right to ask O'Sullivan what she did, everyone in the country was asking the same question. She's supposed to be a journalist.

Things in Ireland would be better if every journalist took their job as seriously as she does, did the fawning pro-FF decade teach us nothing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

In terms of the KvM thing, we don't want that. At least I certainly don't. Prodding KvM about watching his mates go to NZ while he stays at home is un-needed.

• Advertisement

I think she was perfectly right to ask O'Sullivan what she did, everyone in the country was asking the same question. She's supposed to be a journalist.

Things in Ireland would be better if every journalist took their job as seriously as she does, did the fawning pro-FF decade teach us nothing?

I don't think 30seconds after we crashed out of the WC was the best time to be asking such an emotionally charged question.

Perhaps a post-match press conference, or the following day when there's actually been some time to take in what had happened.

What did she expect him to say?
    "Well, I had thought long and hard before the game that if we were embarrassed by France, that I would immediately resign. I know I signed a contract recently enough to give me 4 more years, but spending 5 sleepless nights thinking of this exact scenario, I came to the conclusion that I'd better renege on that"

Journalists that simply seek to pull a Dr. Phil and get an emotive response rather than a calculated one are pretty pathetic if you ask me. Take a look at the match threads here 5 minutes after a game ends, and the same threads a day later. See how the peak of insanity happens around the end of the game.

Without giving people's adrenalin levels a chance to return to normal you are purposely trying to get under their skin to get a dramatic response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

What did she achieve? Asking that question at that particular time was never going to garner any sort of answer worth hearing. EOS just shut up shop, gave a monosyllabic response and she can kiss goodbye to any chance of ever getting an interview with him again. There are ways and means of getting an answer and she went about it the wrong way.

Those who waited and bided their time got the in depth answers and their interviews. She simply sought to make waves. She wants a reaction, not a response. Whatever about garnering a response of any use, EOS is just a rugby coach who did what he thought was right not a politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Hard questions need to be asked at tough times of politicians, no doubt. They are running the country day-in and day-out and everything they decide today will have near immediate impact on the rest of us.

This is rugby though. EOS wasn't going to be leading this team again until the 6 Nations. There were no real need to be asking the tough questions at that stage. There was always going to be plenty of time for it after.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

GerM wrote: »
    What did she achieve? Asking that question at that particular time was never going to garner any sort of answer worth hearing. EOS just shut up shop, gave a monosyllabic response and she can kiss goodbye to any chance of ever getting an interview with him again. There are ways and means of getting an answer and she went about it the wrong way.

Those who waited and bided their time got the in depth answers and their interviews. She simply sought to make waves. She wants a reaction, not a response. Whatever about garnering a response of any use, EOS is just a rugby coach who did what he thought was right not a politician.

I'm sure there has to be a middle ground between her sort of interviewing style and the type that is generally seen on our TV's where there is clear pandering to Kidney (and senior players) which avoids asking him the tough questions and calling him out on some of the rambling crap he comes out with such as his fabled "squad building".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

GerM wrote: »

I was just shocked that she came out with such a brash and unsubtle question. I'd expect more from the station which has brought us such high-brow fare as 'Boozed-Up Irish Abroad' and 'Celebrity Salon'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I think there's an issue of just basic human decency here, you don't go asking people about losing their jobs like that. I thought she was well out of order questioning EOS.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Kinger83

Some more hard hitting questions...

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/mdtv/play/media/id/9162

Not quite sure who Jamie O'Hagan is though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

molloyjh wrote: »
    Hard questions need to be asked at tough times of politicians, no doubt. They are running the country day-in and day-out and everything they decide today will have near immediate impact on the rest of us.

This is rugby though. EOS wasn't going to be leading this team again until the 6 Nations. There were no real need to be asking the tough questions at that stage. There was always going to be plenty of time for it after.

Did she ever ask a politician a hard question? I bet she didn't. Crap reporting. EOS done a great job for Ireland, was a time to move on but didnt need that crap

Schmidt - "Lucid, as far as props go".

Hero

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

If you're a regular boardsie and want a free ticket for Friday nights game PM me.

One drawback. You have to sit next to me (late cancellation etc) in the grandstand and Ill be talking a load of old shyte.

Interview with Ian McKinley coming up on Newstalk shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

He's a class act

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

That was heartbreaking stuff. Came across as an incredibly mature and intelligent guy. He'll do well with himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Damn, missed it. Anyone know if its online yet? I'll go look for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Check out Newstalk's media player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

I checked, doesn't appear to be up yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Kinger83

Up here..

http://media.newstalk.ie/listenback/22/wednesday/1/

Interview starts around the 35 minute mark.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Fair play to the guy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

The Leinster team to face the Dragons in Friday night's RaboDirect PRO12 clash in the RDS (KO: 7.35pm) has been named.

Isa Nacewa continues in the back three alongside Fionn Carr and David Kearney for the visit of the Welsh side. Cillian Willis partners Ian Madigan at half-back with Brendan Macken starting at centre alongside Eoin O'Malley in the absence of Luke Fitzgerald. The pack is unchanged with Ireland international Rhys Ruddock again leading the side and he continues his back-row partnership with Kevin McLaughlin and Dominic Ryan. Devin Toner locks down with Damian Browne with Heinke van der Merwe continuing in the front row alongside Richardt Strauss and Jamie Hagan.
    A decision on the final place on the replacements bench will be made closer to kick off.
    Over 14,500 tickets have now been sold for Friday's game and tickets are still on sale from www.leinsterrugby.ie , Spar (Donnybrook), the Leinster Rugby Store (Donnybrook) as well as Ticketmaster outlets nationwide. Tickets will also be on sale on the gate on Friday.
    *Meanwhile, Leinster Rugby are hosting a Club Open Day throughout the province this Sunday, 11th September. In conjunction with Ireland's first match in the Rugby World Cup and Leinster's success in the Heineken Cup, a number of Clubs have already come together to hold a coordinated 'Open Day'. The purpose of the day is to introduce the club and social side of the sport to people who may not have played rugby before and encourage club participation.
    The day itself will be focused on a welcome for visitors both new and old with the format down to individual clubs. The events will vary from club to club but will range from Tag Rugby (Non-contact), to children's, youths, junior and veteran players and volunteers participation. Visit www.leinsterrugby.ie for further information.
    LEINSTER:
    15: Isa Nacewa
    14: Fionn Carr
    13: Brendan Macken
    12: Eoin O'Malley
    11: David Kearney
    10: Ian Madigan
    9: Cillian Willis
    1: Heinke van der Merwe
    2: Richardt Strauss
    3: Jamie Hagan
    4: Damian Browne
    5: Devin Toner
    6: Kevin McLaughlin
    7: Dominic Ryan
    8: Rhys Ruddock CAPTAIN
    REPLACEMENTS:
    16: Aaron Dundon
    17: Jack McGrath
    18: Jack O'Connell / Nathan White
    19: Mark Flanagan
    20: Leo Auva'a
    21: John Cooney
    22: Mat Berquist
    23: Darren Hudson
    http://www.rabodirectpro12.com/news/10995.php

Good to see Madigan starting; Schmidt seems to be keeping to his word that he would look to develop him (or maybe Berquist is dropped after last week's performance).

I'll be looking for much more controlled performance from the pack this week, far too loose against the Ospreys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Happy to see Macken starting. I would really like to see him kick-on during these few weeks.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Very interesting team.

Good to see Willis and Madigan get a shot, after last weeks debacle at half back.

Same forward pack, and I would hope that Locky's comments earlier in the week about setting things right are taken on board.

I'm a little worried about the balance in that backrow though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

wixfjord wrote: »
    Very interesting team.

Good to see Willis and Madigan get a shot, after last weeks debacle at half back.

Same forward pack, and I would hope that Locky's comments earlier in the week about setting things right are taken on board.

I'm a little worried about the balance in that backrow though.

Why? Are you only worried about Ruddock at 8 or other issues too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

durkadurka wrote: »
    If you're a regular boardsie and want a free ticket for Friday nights game PM me.

One drawback. You have to sit next to me (late cancellation etc) in the grandstand and Ill be talking a load of old shyte.

Let me know where you are sitting and I'll try and take a snap and post it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Leinster U-20s to face Munster

15: Michael Sherlock
    14: Barry Daly
    13: Stephen Murphy
    12: Mark Roche
    11: Sam Coghlan-Murray
    10: Cathal Marsh
    9: Luke McGrath CAPTAIN

1: Des Merrey
    2: Adam Clarkin
    3: Peter Reilly
    4: Alan O’Connor
    5: Daniel Mannion
    6: Jack Conan VICE CAPTAIN
    7: Brian Du Toit
    8: Jordan Coghlan

REPLACEMENTS:

16: Jake Cawley
    17: Tom O’Reilly
    18: Liam Curran
    19: Michael Oyuga
    20: Robbie Holt
    21: Peter Lydon
    22: Foster Horan

I wonder why Furlong isn't included, and Gilsenan. I'll be keeping an eye on Coghlan, McGrath and Roche. Also, one of the O’Suilleabhain twins is playing for Munster.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement