Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

I'd look out for murphy at 13 as well, he always impressed me whenever I saw him play.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Hopefully Sam Coghlan-Murray can be as dominant as he was before his illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

'Spoiled brat' rugby star who admitted assault held in custody

Source
    In that incident -- in July 2010 -- local man Darragh Sweeney lost two front teeth when he was punched by Farragher, a student at Carlow IT and one of 25 young rugby players to be chosen from 800 applicants for the IRFU's Leinster development programme.

Had this kid been singled out as a future talent does anybody know? He is 19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

theboss80 wrote: »

Source

Future talent as a bare knuckle brawler...possibly.
    But we are not allowed to talk about fight club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Source

He was in a development programme, the same as a good number of players around the country. He wasn't in an academy nor had he played for any representative side I am aware of. He had been singled out as much as a the IRFU singles out a number of players that could potentially be involved at some point in the future.

Seems like a thug who happened to play rugby. I'm sure he has played other sports also but I doubt that would have helped the spin that the article is trying to put on the situation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

WeeBushy wrote: »
    I'd look out for murphy at 13 as well, he always impressed me whenever I saw him play.

Is that the guy who played for Zaga

Hagz wrote: »
    Is that the guy who played for Zaga

Yup it is.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

ambid wrote: »
    Why? Are you only worried about Ruddock at 8 or other issues too?

I personally don't think Ryan is much of a 7, and judging by Ruddock's display last week, he's not ready for the rigours of being 8, pack leader, and a captain.
    No real ball player of the three imo.

wixfjord wrote: »
    I personally don't think Ryan is much of a 7, and judging by Ruddock's display last week, he's not ready for the rigours of being 8, pack leader, and a captain.

:confused:

Think you're wrong on every point here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭LFC5Times

Leinster U-20s to face Munster

15: Michael Sherlock
    14: Barry Daly
    13: Stephen Murphy
    12: Mark Roche
    11: Sam Coghlan-Murray
    10: Cathal Marsh
    9: Luke McGrath CAPTAIN

1: Des Merrey
    2: Adam Clarkin
    3: Peter Reilly
    4: Alan O’Connor
    5: Daniel Mannion
    6: Jack Conan VICE CAPTAIN
    7: Brian Du Toit
    8: Jordan Coghlan

REPLACEMENTS:

16: Jake Cawley
    17: Tom O’Reilly
    18: Liam Curran
    19: Michael Oyuga
    20: Robbie Holt
    21: Peter Lydon
    22: Foster Horan

I wonder why Furlong isn't included, and Gilsenan. I'll be keeping an eye on Coghlan, McGrath and Roche. Also, one of the O’Suilleabhain twins is playing for Munster.

I'm pretty sure Adam Clarkin played as a back-row in schools. Interesting move if they are trying him at hooker now :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

What's wrong with Fitz?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

LFC5Times wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure Adam Clarkin played as a back-row in schools. Interesting move if they are trying him at hooker now :confused:

Harris-Wright did the same, as did Strauss AFAIK.

:confused:

Think you're wrong on every point here!

We shall see, looks like three sixes and quite similar players to me at the moment though, and all three were blown away at ruck by a below par Ospreys pack last week.

I certainly don't get the talk of Ryan as a future international 7, very underwhelming for me so far.

We shall see, looks like three sixes and quite similar players to me at the moment though, and all three were blown away at ruck by a below par Ospreys pack last week.

I certainly don't get the talk of Ryan as a future international 7, very underwhelming for me so far.

What? Ryan had probably one of the best breakthrough seasons of anyone at Leinster in the last 10 years!

He had a ****e game last week, but so did 12 of them!

Podge_irl wrote: »
    What's wrong with Fitz?

Injured his knee against the Ospreys, think it's only a small knock.

Was reading Graham Henry's comments today about Sonny Bill and it reminded me of Fitz this year:
    He added Williams has been given the message about what was expected of him: “Don’t try to do it all in five minutes, the game lasts for 80,” he said.

“I think players are inclined, when they do get a chance and they haven’t played for a while, to try and push it too much, probably overdo it.

“I guess patience is going to be the key and if he does that and lets his natural abiity control the way he plays, I think he will play well.”

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Source

His Dad is a retired Garda. He was also in court previously for assault and then went on to assault someone after that. I think the spoilt brat comment is more to do with that than his rugby.

I'd agree with you here about Ruddock. He is the most inexperience player in the pack and also one of the youngest. Maybe his personality suits a Captains role I don't know but it is alot to take on.

I liked the way Ryan played last year but for him to be an international he needs to do more.I would add though that international level is the highest possible where you play against the very best players in the world. It's only the start of his second season so he has plenty of time to learn these skills.

What? Ryan had probably one of the best breakthrough seasons of anyone at Leinster in the last 10 years!

He had a ****e game last week, but so did 12 of them!

I agree, he was great in parts last year, I just don't think he's as good as is being made out, and is actually quite ineffective currently as a 7.

We shall see over the year, and he's obviously a serious athlete, but I remain unconvinced. Coming up against Gavin Thomas should be a good test.
    Maybe it's simply a mental block!

Superbus wrote: »
    Harris-Wright did the same, as did Strauss AFAIK.

And David Doyle in the academy. He was a flanker in school before moving to hooker after.

I agree, he was great in parts last year, I just don't think he's as good as is being made out, and is actually quite ineffective currently as a 7.

We shall see over the year, and he's obviously a serious athlete, but I remain unconvinced. Coming up against Gavin Thomas should be a good test.
    Maybe it's simply a mental block!

Ryan was our best forward last week at 7, and totally because of his agressive play off the ball. I think 7 is exactly where he will end up.

PS, Only just getting to watch the game now. My god, Cooney was absolutely terrible. Very disappointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭vinny chase

Wasn't sure where to post this, but think Rocky Elsom has resigned with the Waratahs & the Wallabies for the next two seasons.

• Advertisement

Wasn't sure where to post this, but think Rocky Elsom has resigned with the Waratahs & the Wallabies for the next two seasons.

Really?

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news/national/national/sport/elsom-finally-seals-waratahs-deal/2286312.aspx

Edit: Sorry read that as resigned as in stepped down... woops. Well's there's a link anyway!

WeeBushy wrote: »

Yeah really.

I meant, he has re-signed, as opposed to resigned! :D

Hence the two years bit!

Yeah really.

I meant, he has re-signed, as opposed to resigned! :D

Hence the two years bit!

Only just realised :o

Leinster U-19 team is playing Ulster this Saturday, and this fella is on the wing.

14: Ryan Roopnarinesingh (Terenure College)

That sounds like an Indian name, or that general region. Unusual for someone of that ethnicity to play rugby at a high level. Good to see the game diversifying, but what a name...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Leinster Under-19 Team News...
    9 September 2011, 11:07 am
    By Editor

The Leinster Under-19 Blue and White teams, sponsored by SWORD Security, are in action against Ulster in a double-header in Dungannon RFC...

The Leinster Under-19 (Blue)team to face Ulster in Saturday afternoon’s interprovincial in Dungannon RFC (KO: 1.30pm) has been named. LEINSTER UNDER-19 (BLUE):
    15: Jack Fitzpatrick (Gonzaga College SJ)
    14: Ryan Roopnarinesingh (Terenure College)
    13: Thomas Farrell (Castleknock College)
    12: Thomas Daly (Co. Carlow FC)
    11: Ian Byrne (St. Gerard’s School)
    10: Steve Crosbie (St. Gerard’s School)
    9: David Shanahan (Belvedere College SJ) CAPTAIN
    1: Gordon Frayne (Clongowes Wood College SJ)
    2: Bryan Byrne (Clongowes Wood College SJ)
    3: Edward Byrne (Clongowes Wood College SJ)
    4: Donagh Lawler (St. Michael’s College)
    5: Gavin Thornbury (Blackrock College)
    6: Conor Guihan (Pres. Bray)
    7: Josh Van der Flier (Wesley College)
    8: Eoghan Masterson (Portlaoise RFC)
    REPLACEMENTS:
    16: Andrew Murphy (St. Michael’s College)
    17: Adam Boland (Blackrock College)
    18: Ken Murphy (Pres. Bray)
    19: Akhalque Khan (Navan RFC)
    20: Max McFarland (Clongowes Wood College SJ)
    21: Rory Kavanagh (St. Michael’s College)
    22: Dyllon Simmonds (St. Gerard’s School)

Leinster Under-19 (White) team to face Ulster in Saturday afternoon’s interprovincial in Dungannon RFC KO: 3.30pm
    15: Bill Duggan (C.C. Roscrea)
    14: Michael Mellett (Castleknock College)
    13: Kieran Butler (New Ross RFC)
    12: David Potterton (The King’s Hospital)
    11: Jimmy Hawkshaw (Belvedere College SJ)
    10: Liam Bourke (Navan RFC) CAPTAIN
    9: Ian Burke (De la Salle Churchtown)
    1: Andrew Heffernan (CBC Monkstown)
    2: Josh Cowan (Sandford Park)
    3: Tom Collis (Clongowes Wood College SJ)
    4: Luke Talbot (St. Mary’s College)
    5: Darragh Curran (Ashbourne RFC)
    6: Eamonn Quirke (C. C. Roscrea)
    7: Michael Kerr (St. Andrew’s College)
    8: Niall Lalor (Terenure College)
    REPLACEMENTS:

16: Peter Tierney (Wesley College)
    17: Jamie Lawless (St. Michael’s College)
    18: Conor Owende (Belvedere College SJ)
    19: Robin Brickell (Naas RFC)
    20: Finbarr McGowan (Longford RFC)
    21: Mark Rogers (CBC Monkstown)
    22: Chris Fagan (St. Michael’s College)
    http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/domestic/newsroom/8454.php

• Registered Users Posts: 37 easyeas

I wonder why Furlong isn't included, and Gilsenan. I'll be keeping an eye on Coghlan, McGrath and Roche. Also, one of the O’Suilleabhain twins is playing for Munster.[QOUTE]

i would look out for des merrey as well big things expected of him down in clontarf from what i have heard anyway...furlong is out till jan or feb with a shoulder injury which he got surgery on recently and gilsenan is injured as well with a shoulder injury

leinster won 13-9 with marsh scoring a penatly,mc grath scoring a penalty and conversion and merrey scoring a try.

2.Callum O’Connell, Exiles
    7.Isaac O’Grady
    9.Kieran Marmion, Corinthians
    14.Conor Finn, Buccaneers
    19.Will O’Brien, Newbridge
    20.Marcus Walsh
    21.Matt Dever, Exiles
    17.Andrew Keating, Navan

all these player are playin for connacht have come from aboard (2.Callum O’Connell, 7.Isaac O’Grady,9.Kieran Marmion,21.Matt Dever) or from other provinces(14.Conor Finn,19.Will O’Brien,20.Marcus Walsh,17.Andrew Keating) which seem to be the only reason why connacht under 20s are doing alright so far this year as there standout players have decent players to play with instead of poor players from connacht as connacht are buying them in from other places

easyeas wrote: »
    20.Marcus Walsh

Marcus Walsh Flanker, or Marcus Walsh scrum-half??

Presumably scrum half wearing the No.20 shirt, no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 easyeas

scrum half played leinster schools and 19s

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement