Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

LEINSTER LAUNCH ROUTE 6'6" INITIATIVE...

Leinster Rugby have announced details of an ambitious second-row recruitment drive - entitled Route 6'6" -which will involve an Open Screening Day scheduled to take place in Donnybrook Stadium this October...

The initiative will involve the likes of Leinster Academy Manager Colin McEntee and Leinster A Manager Malcolm OKelly as well as fitness and conditioning staff within the provincial set up and is aimed at sourcing and introducing new second-row forwards to the game.
    It is anticipated that this will lead to further positional-specific screening days for other positions in the future.

Commenting on the initiative, Colin McEntee said: "First and foremost this is about players and our clubs. We want to help introduce rugby to people of a particular height in this case over 65 or 66 - who may or may not have played the game before.

This initiative is open to those who have never played rugby before, as well as to those who may have given up the game for one reason or another. Its also open to people who currently compete in an alternative sport and who have always wanted to play rugby.

In essence, if there is a will to learn, we have the technical ability to help them.

Applications are open to players between the ages of 17 23 to attend a free Screening Day in Donnybrook.

Places are limited so those interested can APPLY ONLINE HERE.

Scraping the bottom of the barrel!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Fair play I say, no real down side to this, and if it unearths an athletic Lawes or Gray type guy, who can be moulded into a second rower, then it'll all be worth it.

Great to see them targeting what's obviously going to be a problem position in the coming years with pro activeness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Its a good plan by Leinster. You'd think they'll uncover a few decent athletes.

Is there a big lack of tall players playing schools rugby in Leinster or are the coaches picking backrows in the second row?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

profitius wrote: »

Is there a big lack of tall players playing schools rugby in Leinster or are the coaches picking backrows in the second row?

I know Gavin Thornbury who is playing for Leinster U19's is well over 6'6

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Think the main problem with guys of that size is that your you have quite a low percentage that are in the ideal condition to fit a pro setup. Iv seen plenty of guys who are 6 6 but a lot are either under weight for a 2nd row position or way over weight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Ulster did the exact same thing several months ago. No clue how it went but it's good to see that no stone is being left unturned.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some growth hormones to inject.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

I'm only 3 months younger than the Bull Hayes and am only 6'0''.

Do you think they could find a role for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

Slightly off topic... just bought some tickets to Leinster v Munster on Nov 4th. Cant wait now, it's been too long since I was at a Red V Blue match!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

It is anticipated that this will lead to further positional-specific screening days for other positions in the future.

I'd love to see the press-release that goes out looking for props.

"Big fat lads required. Ability to run an advantage but not essential. Clint Newland need not apply."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Does anyone know how Ulster's version of this worked out? I presume that it worked decently since Leinster are trying the same thing.

I think if it is going to properly work Leinster's clubs need to be represented in the screening days and for them to lure guys that show up at the screening day into the club game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I think the screening for a second row is a great idea. There are lots of people who don't go to rugby schools and may not have access to a rugby club or not know anyone at one. Between the ages of 17 and 23 is a good area too as if selected the players would be of similar age to their fellow academy members. They will know approximately where they stand in their own sport so if it's not going well why not try rugby.

Simply put they are opening the door to potentially many different athletes be it swimmers, basketballers, even soccer or GAA players.

When I think back to any Leinster trials I was ever involved in it actually makes sense. The first trial was mainly just to gauge how fit and/or strong you were. No ball work just sprints, runs, etc. The second was 2 on 1's, tackling, and then at the very end a match. Taking the match out of the trial and there is a lot there that some one who has never played before can compete in. Once shown how to tackle, pass etc it becomes a measure of aptitude.

I was never invited to a third trial so can't comment after that :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Maybe there should be open trials for all different types of athletes.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭bm1993

How much are the cheapest tickets for Leinster v Munster at the Aviva?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I know a couple of guys who probably wouldn't be arsed. If there was 50 or 100 quid in ot for the mif they turned up and fit rough fitness guidelines, you'd quickly get rid of those who are apathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

profitius wrote: »

Basically, the problem is we want 6ft 6+ backrows to convert into locks. We have the tall guys, and we have the backrows, but the intersection of the two is negligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭cython

bm1993 wrote: »
    How much are the cheapest tickets for Leinster v Munster at the Aviva?

They were €10, but I'm not sure what the cheapest available now is, though I know that those ones are off the table, so maybe €20?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Rumours abound that Devon Toner is having 5 inches removed from both shins and is going to apply for the Route 6'6 programme under the alias Tevon Doner, an all action lock/backrower.

His agent, Frankie Sheehan, has guaranteed him 5 MOTM awards in every game he's commentating in regardless of whether he plays or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Anyone know when the team for Saturday is being announced? Thought it would have been noon today.

Team I'd like to see:

15. Nacewa
    14. Carr
    13. O'Malley
    12. Fitzgerald
    11. Kearney
    10. Madigan
    9. Cooney
    1. Van der Merwe
    2. Strauss
    3. Hagan
    4. Toner
    5. McLaughlin
    6. Ruddock
    7. Ryan
    8. Auva'a

16. JHW
    17. McGrath
    18. White
    19. Browne
    20. Murphy
    21. Willis
    22. Macken
    23. Conway

I'd like to see Cooney get a chance from the start to make up for the match against the Ospreys. It really was a baptism of fire for him. Also like to see Auva'a from the start, he's looked lively. I really like the idea of McL in 2nd row but dunno who would go on the bench, so maybe keep him in the back row, but that would mean no starting Auva'a/Ruddock, neither of which I want.

This match will definitely take 2nd place to some other match being played on Saturday, but its the one we have a better chance of winning so hopefully they give us something to cheer about if the expected happens in the morning. A double win would be quite nice, here's to hoping!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

WeeBushy wrote: »
    Anyone know when the team for Saturday is being announced? Thought it would have been noon today.

Team I'd like to see:

15. Nacewa
    14. Carr
    13. O'Malley
    12. Fitzgerald
    11. Kearney
    10. Madigan
    9. Cooney
    1. Van der Merwe
    2. Strauss
    3. Hagan
    4. Toner
    5. McLaughlin
    6. Ruddock
    7. Ryan
    8. Auva'a

16. JHW
    17. McGrath
    18. White
    19. Browne
    20. Murphy
    21. Willis
    22. Macken
    23. Conway

I'd like to see Cooney get a chance from the start to make up for the match against the Ospreys. It really was a baptism of fire for him. Also like to see Auva'a from the start, he's looked lively. I really like the idea of McL in 2nd row but dunno who would go on the bench, so maybe keep him in the back row, but that would mean no starting Auva'a/Ruddock, neither of which I want.

This match will definitely take 2nd place to some other match being played on Saturday, but its the one we have a better chance of winning so hopefully they give us something to cheer about if the expected happens in the morning. A double win would be quite nice, here's to hoping!

It'll be announced at lunchtime tomorrow. That's a nice looking squad... I'd like to see Wright on the bench tho..

It's always noon the day before so it will be tomorrow. Agreed on the team except Cooney. We need that bit more experience in willis to start IMHO.

Who is Murphy at 20?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

durkadurka wrote: »
    It's always noon the day before so it will be tomorrow. Agreed on the team except Cooney. We need that bit more experience in willis to start IMHO.

Who is Murphy at 20?

Jordi Murphy.

Please no Cooney. He's looked poor two weeks in a row, he's not ready yet. Also, Sykes could be back, hence the late announcement.

Who is Murphy at 20?

Jordi Murphy. He played in the u20 WC last season and is in the academy now. Looks like another exciting back-row player to come out of Leinster. There's no one else to go on the bench if I pick McL in 2nd row, so that's why I chose Murphy. Don't know if he's ready though and we have a decent 2nd row in Browne so don't really see this happening.

Oops thought today was Friday that's why I was confused as to why we hadn't heard the team yet :o

Cooney to start with Willis to bench is infinitely preferable to the opposite imo.

Willis has looked pretty damn snappy it must be said.

Jordi Murphy.

Please no Cooney. He's looked poor two weeks in a row, he's not ready yet. Also, Sykes could be back, hence the late announcement.

That's great news, I thought he was out for a while more. Where did you hear this?

Cooney to start with Willis to bench is infinitely preferable to the opposite imo.

Willis has looked pretty damn snappy it must be said.

Are you not contradicting yourself?

Are you not contradicting yourself?

nope, I'd rather we let Cooney have a craic with the option of replacing him with Willis than let Willis start and give Cooney 20mins.

That way Cooney can actually come off if things are looking rough for us.
    It's a game I'd expect us to win, and I think that he needs exposure, so this is where he's going to have to get it!

WeeBushy wrote: »
    That's great news, I thought he was out for a while more. Where did you hear this?
    Second row Steven Sykes stepped up his rehabilitation from the knee injury that he sustained in pre-season and he could come into the mix, though a decision on his availability will also be made later in the week.

I'd imagine if he is available he'll be on the bench. I think we'll see Toner and Browne in the second row, they've looked good so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭vinny chase

nope, I'd rather we let Cooney have a craic with the option of replacing him with Willis than let Willis start and give Cooney 20mins.

It's a game I'd expect us to win, and I think that he needs exposure, so this is where he's going to have to get it!

I think hauling him off again if he's struggling will only do him harm imo.

I'd continue to let Willis start when he's playing well, and if the pack are on top, let Cooney on then again, rebuild his confidence and make him more comfortable out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I posted this up on the Leinster forums, but just wondered what the opinion is on it here..

I've followed Auva'a's progress in the AIL and the matches with Leinster and the A's, and one thing that's really made him stand out in my mind is his off-loading. He's got lovely ball skills, and it makes me wonder, with Leinster's lack of depth in the midfield, should or could he be tried at 12? I know we've had discussions on SOB there and whatnot, but there's plenty of reasons why SOB wouldn't work at 12, and the main reason being why move him from 6 where he's world class.

Auva's skill in contact, off-loading, speed, bulk, and general ability to read space could make him ideal in that channel.. I don't know what his boot is like, but then I've never seen much of a kicker in Darce. I think tried there he could be ideal, and even give some competition to Darce who's slipping (slipped?) into a guaranteed spot that has forced his game from him IMO.

What's your thoughts on it?

• Advertisement

He has been poor two weeks in a row. You don't turn around and start him after that. That's just attempting to push the poor lads development when he clearly isn't ready. Exposure is only going to dent his confidence if he keeps playing like he has done so far.

Hold him back and let him play off the bench without the pressure of starting. After a while he may just be putting in top performances from there and we can consider starting him. Otherwise we're just playing youth for the sake of playing youth.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement