Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

I dunno, I think I'd like to see Luke back on the wing, and O'Malley and Macken did a decent job last week:

Nacewa
    Carr
    Macken
    O'Malley
    Fitzgerald
    Madigan
    Willis
    VDM
    Strauss
    Hagan
    Sykes (McLaughlin?)
    Toner
    Ruddock
    Ryan
    Auva'a

I'd love to see if Auva'a can sustain his impressive cameo from last week for 80 minutes, and I think Ruddock is more effective at 6 than at 8.

McLaughlin was good at 6 last week but I don't think he has a future there for Leinster first XV or for Ireland; if we're short on quality second-rows, maybe it's worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

I think hauling him off again if he's struggling will only do him harm imo.

I'd continue to let Willis start when he's playing well, and if the pack are on top, let Cooney on then again, rebuild his confidence and make him more comfortable out there.

I'm inclined to agree with this approach. Plus two young half backs could be problematic in the first half anyhow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭vinny chase

.ak wrote: »
    I posted this up on the Leinster forums, but just wondered what the opinion is on it here..

I've followed Auva'a's progress in the AIL and the matches with Leinster and the A's, and one thing that's really made him stand out in my mind is his off-loading. He's got lovely ball skills, and it makes me wonder, with Leinster's lack of depth in the midfield, should or could he be tried at 12? I know we've had discussions on SOB there and whatnot, but there's plenty of reasons why SOB wouldn't work at 12, and the main reason being why move him from 6 where he's world class.

Auva's skill in contact, off-loading, speed, bulk, and general ability to read space could make him ideal in that channel.. I don't know what his boot is like, but then I've never seen much of a kicker in Darce. I think tried there he could be ideal, and even give some competition to Darce who's slipping (slipped?) into a guaranteed spot that has forced his game from him IMO.

What's your thoughts on it?

My initial reaction to this is the same I always have to any suggestion of a dramatic positional switch for a player at this level; it just won't work. The game is too complex, and there is too much expected of players in defense and attack to simply move positions like that.

Maybe give it a lash for Belvo in the AIL, but I'd imagine he'd still be caught out positionally there too.

PS-imo there is a big difference between the good handling required for those little subtle offloads and the hands required for the range of passing a top class 12 needs.

Can't see it working.

My choice for the weekend:

15 Isa Nacewa
    14 Dave Kearney
    13 Brendan Macken
    12 Luke Fitzgerald
    11 Fionn Carr
    10 Ian Madigan
    9 Cillian Willis
    1 Heinke van der Merwe
    2 Richardt Strauss
    3 Jamie Hagan
    4 Mark Flanagan
    5 Damien Browne
    6 Kevin McLaughlin
    7 Dominic Ryan
    8 Rhys Ruddock

Reps:
    16 Aaron Dundon
    17 Jack O'Connell
    18 Jack McGrath
    19 Devin Toner
    20 John Cooney
    21 Eoin O'Malley
    22 Noel Reid
    23 Andrew Conway

I don't think you can force the development of young players, and they kind of have to take their chance when it opens up for them. I also think it's easier to come into a good team, that's going well rather than a struggling side that's under fire. First things first, Leinster have to focus on getting the win this weekend.

I'd bring Flanagan into the second row for a start, because I've been impressed by his cameos off the bench the last two weeks and think he deserves it. I'd like to see more of Luke at twelve, and think Brendan Macken looked sharp enough last week to warrant a run in the thirteen shirt. Kearney & Carr have been good enough to keep Conway at bay on the wing, and I think you have to bring a ten option into the squad, so went for Noel Reid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

What do you make of Ruddock playing at 8? To me he looks too slow for that position but I havn't seen much of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

My initial reaction to this is the same I always have to any suggestion of a dramatic positional switch for a player at this level; it just won't work. The game is too complex, and there is too much expected of players in defense and attack to simply move positions like that.

Maybe give it a lash for Belvo in the AIL, but I'd imagine he'd still be caught out positionally there too.

PS-imo there is a big difference between the good handling required for those little subtle offloads and the hands required for the range of passing a top class 12 needs.

Can't see it working.

True, and that's one thing I agree with re: the SOB debate, but in this case Auva'a has played at center in NZ, so he's got experience there. That off-load to Carr last week would lead me to believe he is capable to developing his passing to a level you outlined.

If the potential is there, then sure it can work - it really all depends if he's willing to learn, and if Leinster is willing to teach? In other words, is he settled at 8, and does Leinster wish to use valuable time training him into the center?

Personally I think it'd work.. because soon our world famous center partnership will retire, and as much as I like the likes of Macken/Madigan/Conway I don't see those lads having the venom required to gain meters... Not yet anyhow. Especially with McKinley's unfortunate and untimely retirement.

Having a large, physical center like that surely can only fuel healthy competition for the spot?

Some Leinster fans were calling for Nonu to be signed, but one of the main reasons many think that'd be a bad idea is that it'll limit native player development.. But surely it can only encourage the native players in that channel to up their game to get first selection? Nacewa vs Kearney, Strauss vs Cronin..? Okay, so maybe the Cronin isn't a great example, but he's certainly on his way, and this season with Leinster will definitely force him to up his game if he wants to get some game time... Which can only be good from a national point of view?

Speaking of which, Auva'a looks good to be Irish Qualified, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

profitius wrote: »
    What do you make of Ruddock playing at 8? To me he looks too slow for that position but I havn't seen much of him.

I think he's a better 6 than 8. He's struggled a little at 8 this season, although that could be down to the added pressure of being team captain while the internationals are away as well as just a coinciding of playing 8 and a slight dip in form. He played there very effectively last season. I think it's just taking him a little while to get motoring.

True, and that's one thing I agree with re: the SOB debate, but in this case Auva'a has played at center in NZ, so he's got experience there. That off-load to Carr last week would lead me to believe he is capable to developing his passing to a level you outlined.

If the potential is there, then sure it can work - it really all depends if he's willing to learn, and if Leinster is willing to teach? In other words, is he settled at 8, and does Leinster wish to use valuable time training him into the center?

Personally I think it'd work.. because soon our world famous center partnership will retire, and as much as I like the likes of Macken/Madigan/Conway I don't see those lads having the venom required to gain meters... Not yet anyhow. Especially with McKinley's unfortunate and untimely retirement.

Having a large, physical center like that surely can only fuel healthy competition for the spot?

Some Leinster fans were calling for Nonu to be signed, but one of the main reasons many think that'd be a bad idea is that it'll limit native player development.. But surely it can only encourage the native players in that channel to up their game to get first selection? Nacewa vs Kearney, Strauss vs Cronin..? Okay, so maybe the Cronin isn't a great example, but he's certainly on his way, and this season with Leinster will definitely force him to up his game if he wants to get some game time... Which can only be good from a national point of view?

Speaking of which, Auva'a looks good to be Irish Qualified, no?

No idea on when/if he becomes Irish qualified.

To be honest, I doubt it's on the radar for Leinster. If they were considering it, you'd see him being given a lash there for the A side, but don't see it happening.

We're not exactly awash with No.8's anyway.

My choice for the weekend:

15 Isa Nacewa
    14 Dave Kearney
    13 Brendan Macken
    12 Luke Fitzgerald
    11 Fionn Carr
    10 Ian Madigan
    9 Cillian Willis
    1 Heinke van der Merwe
    2 Richardt Strauss
    3 Jamie Hagan
    4 Mark Flanagan
    5 Damien Browne
    6 Kevin McLaughlin
    7 Dominic Ryan
    8 Rhys Ruddock

Reps:
    16 Aaron Dundon
    17 Jack O'Connell
    18 Jack McGrath
    19 Devin Toner
    20 John Cooney
    21 Eoin O'Malley
    22 Noel Reid
    23 Andrew Conway

I don't think you can force the development of young players, and they kind of have to take their chance when it opens up for them. I also think it's easier to come into a good team, that's going well rather than a struggling side that's under fire. First things first, Leinster have to focus on getting the win this weekend.

I'd bring Flanagan into the second row for a start, because I've been impressed by his cameos off the bench the last two weeks and think he deserves it. I'd like to see more of Luke at twelve, and think Brendan Macken looked sharp enough last week to warrant a run in the thirteen shirt. Kearney & Carr have been good enough to keep Conway at bay on the wing, and I think you have to bring a ten option into the squad, so went for Noel Reid.

I like this squad - especially with Toner not starting. He's ironed out some issues in his game, but I think he's still extremely weak with ball in hand and teams target that.

No Auva'a tho? Even on the bench? Ha, I must sound like his number one fan at this stage.. but I'd give him a start with Ruddock at 6 (as I think he had a massive game, albeit preseason, there against the Rebels), maybe move Kevin to the bench?

I like this squad - especially with Toner not starting. He's ironed out some issues in his game, but I think he's still extremely weak with ball in hand and teams target that.

No Auva'a tho? Even on the bench? Ha, I must sound like his number one fan at this stage.. but I'd give him a start with Ruddock at 6 (as I think he had a massive game, albeit preseason, there against the Rebels), maybe move Kevin to the bench?

Sorry, that was actually an oversight on my part in ignoring the backrow on the bench!

Would actually then drop Conway, put O'Malley in the 22 shirt and bring Auv'a on to the bench. If a three quarters player gets injured, Fitz can step out there.

• Advertisement

Can't drop McLaughlin, he's our #1 lineout target at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

No T.V coverage for the game on Saturday it looks like :(

Burgo wrote: »
    No T.V coverage for the game on Saturday it looks like :(

Come down to the RDS. It'll be great craic!

this this this.

Lets pack it out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Not sure i'll be in Dublin for the weekend otherwise I would!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

We're not exactly awash with No.8's anyway.

Yeah we only have Heaslip, SOB & Ruddock...... damn our measly resources!!!

Yeah we only have Heaslip, SOB & Ruddock...... damn our measly resources!!!

Yeah, but like we said about Ruddock above, really of those, only Heaslip is considered a genuine No. 8.

He was making the point about moving Auva'a to twelve because of a lack of centres, but the reality is that we have more guys coming through there than at eight.

There are some good young backrowers in the academy with lots of promise like Jordi Murphy, Jordan Coughlan & Conor Gilsenan, but think they all seem to be built like flankers rather than eights.

this this this.

Lets pack it out

My first season game, had to give my season card to a friend as I was over seas... Looking forward to it now! Nothing like the anticipation of a new season ahead.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Kinger83

Q&A with Willis, Browne and Carr in the supporters bar after also..

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/newsroom/8470.php

Looking forward to Saturday now, a day packed with rugby! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Team to face Glasgow Warriors:
    The Leinster team to face the Glasgow Warriors in Saturday evening's RaboDirect PRO 12 encounter in the RDS (KO: 6pm, match is not televised*) has been named...Luke Fitzgerald takes his place at inside centre alongside Eoin O'Malley who moves to outside centre for the visit of Glasgow. Fionn Carr and Ian Madigan - try-scorers in the 31-10 victory over the Dragons last weekend - continue in a backline which also includes Isa Nacewa and Cillian Willis.
    In the pack, Leo Auva'a makes his first start for the province at number eight after appearing twice off the bench so far this season and he joins Dominic Ryan and skipper Rhys Ruddock in the back-row for the visit of the Scottish side.

Damian Browne is named on the replacements bench alongside Leinster Academy back-rower Jordi Murphy and recent signing prop Nathan White who could both be in line for their debut appearances.

Over 14,450 tickets have been sold for Saturday's game which will see the usual 'Family Day' activities and tickets are still available online at www.leinsterrugby.ie, Spar (Donnybrook), the Leinster Rugby Store and Ticketmaster outlets nationwide. Tickets will also be on sale around the ground.

LEINSTER:

15: Isa Nacewa
    14: Fionn Carr
    13: Eoin O'Malley
    12: Luke Fitzgerald
    11: David Kearney
    10: Ian Madigan
    9: Cillian Willis

1: Heinke van der Merwe
    2: Richardt Strauss
    3: Jamie Hagan
    4: Kevin McLaughlin
    5: Devin Toner
    6: Rhys Ruddock CAPTAIN
    7: Dominic Ryan
    8: Leo Auva'a

REPLACEMENTS:

16: Aaron Dundon
    17: Jack McGrath
    18: Nathan White
    19: Damian Browne
    20: Jordi Murphy
    21: John Cooney
    22: Brendan Macken
    23: Darren Hudson

REFEREE: Andrew McMenemy (SRU), ASSISTANT REFEREES: John Lacey (IRFU), Trevor Collins (IRFU), 4th OFFICIAL: Ed Kenny (Leinster Rugby Referees), 5th OFFICIAL: Gordon Murray (Leinster Rugby Referees)

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/matchcentre/8506.php

Pleased with my prediction, only got SH wrong :) Looking forward to seeing KMcL in 2nd row and also Auva'a first start. Another chance for Fitz to stake a claim at 12.

Really looking forward to this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

McLaughlin at 4 and Fitzgerald at 12 should be interesting. That's a pretty strong front row too.

What a pack.

Delighted with that team. Really looking forward to this tomorrow now!

I think between us we predicted that team with stunning accuracy!

A coach who's opinion can be shared by others!

How refreshing

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Loving that team!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Can't wait to get down to the RDS tomorrow!

Please click, please click please click. :)

Very excited about seeing this backrow starting together...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

A coach who's opinion can be shared by others!

How refreshing

In fairness we're missing, what, 18 players? 14 to the RWC and Sykes, Sheridan, Berquist & Conway injured. It's not like there's much in the way of options really.

Still though, taking that into account that's a great team to be able to field. I'm just worried now that if Ireland win in the morning it's a long way to go until kick-off in the RDS! Here's hoping the new Leo (the Lion) learned his lesson from last week too...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I wasn't going to go to this game, but after seeing the team I think I will.

Leinster's best marketing tool is Joe Schmidt as far as I'm concerned.

Tickets still available I'm presuming?

• Advertisement

I wasn't going to go to this game, but after seeing the team I think I will.

Leinster's best marketing tool is Joe Schmidt as far as I'm concerned.

Tickets still available I'm presuming?

Bigtime, there will only be about 14-15k there

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement