Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭jk86

tolosenc wrote: »
    So I was thinking...

Sonny Bill has no contract after the World Cup.

If we got say 10,000 Leinster fans who wanted him (let's face it, who doesn't?) to chip in €100, that's like $1.5 million, plus IRFU contract money could make it up to $2 mil, and then throw in the: "You wanna win trophies, you play for us" line.

Long shot?

Am I deleriously tired?

Sure we have McFadden!!

and he won't cost me a hundred quid :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Not good news on the injury front:
    After the match Joe Schmidt revealed that the ankle injury Kevin McLaughlin suffered against Glasgow last week is more serious than first thought while Dominic Ryan is also likely to be sidelined for a considerable time.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2011/0926/1224304753539.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

I'm not really surprised. Both lads were in a lot of pain as they were stretchered off. When I heard 3 weeks I was shocked. I'm thinking it's more likely to be 3 months each. Well, at least that solves the back row headaches come HEC time. SOB, Jennings and Heaslip with Ruddock on the bench seems the only option now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I wonder where that 3 weeks verdict for Ryan and McLaughlin came from? Both had to be stretchered off and looked to be in a lot of pain when they got injured. It was very surprising to hear they were meant to have such short rehab.

It doesn't look like the game on the weekend against Aironi will be on TV either. If it's not on TV there won't be any cameras and so no replays/big screen at the game.

Leinster normally get a camera at the game to show highlights on LTV the following week similar to Glasgow to seasons ago or the friendlies. Will be heading along anyway to form my own completely biased opinions.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

No replays at the game though. No day dreaming allowed you got to be a focused fan, can't think at all of the tall blonde in the knee high boots, and the tight jeans, and the.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

tolosenc wrote: »
    So I was thinking...

Sonny Bill has no contract after the World Cup.

If we got say 10,000 Leinster fans who wanted him (let's face it, who doesn't?) to chip in €100, that's like $1.5 million, plus IRFU contract money could make it up to $2 mil, and then throw in the: "You wanna win trophies, you play for us" line.

Long shot?

Am I deleriously tired?
    You're knackered.

Firstly, no single player is worth that. Secondly, when has a contract ever meant anything to him?*
    NRL are due a massive bonanza in TV rights money next year that could rival AFL's (A$1.2bn). He'll be back playing there before you can say "But Sonny Bill..."

*(rhetorical question. answer is of course 'NEVER')

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

JustinDee wrote: »
    You're knackered.

Firstly, no single player is worth that. Secondly, when has a contract ever meant anything to him?*
    NRL are due a massive bonanza in TV rights money next year that could rival AFL's (A$1.2bn). He'll be back playing there before you can say "But Sonny Bill..."

*(rhetorical question. answer is of course 'NEVER')

Do you have to have a go at Williams everytime he's brought up in a thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I wonder where that 3 weeks verdict for Ryan and McLaughlin came from? Both had to be stretchered off and looked to be in a lot of pain when they got injured. It was very surprising to hear they were meant to have such short rehab.

Was it not Joe Schmidt himself who said 3 weeks on LTV?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

truthfully I wouldn't want him at leinster, good player but you would always be questioning his commitment to the team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

Was it not Joe Schmidt himself who said 3 weeks on LTV?

According to this post and link it was but I think people may have heard what they wanted to hear rather than what he was trying to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Do you have to have a go at Williams everytime he's brought up in a thread?

Not about his playing. I have never knocked his game. He's an excellent player. One of the best RL players I've ever had the pleasure to see on-field for a start.

I have my doubts however about his sticking around and there is nothing to suggest he has changed from two years ago. I remember well the lead-up to the four-year contract with the Dogs. Not going to dump on his rugby family, owes everything to RL, is a team player then off he went having honoured a mere year and a half of his contract.
    Ever hear of Anthony Mundine? Khoder Nasser? They're still around.
    Thats why I voice my doubts about his commitment whenever people mention signing him or talk of his future.

Regardless, all this aside, I still think no player is worth the kind of money mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Whilst I think SBW does get a lot of stick and people tend to brush off his skillset as 'over-rated' or 'one-trick' even whilst the guy is dominating both as center and wing, and would easily fit into Leinster, I do however think it wouldn't be a wise choice.

Mostly because we need to develop a home-grown out n out 12, so maybe they can take the Irish jersey, and sticking someone like SBW in there would mean he'd be starting as first choice, rather than just adding some competition to the role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

phog wrote: »
    According to this post and link it was but I think people may have heard what they wanted to hear rather than what he was trying to say.

Yeah, as I remember the press release said neither would be available for the Scarlets game but gave no indication of when they would return; I think some people took that to mean that they would only be out for a short while. I wonder if Leinster are being coy with not releasing dates for their return or is it the case that the injuries are that serious that they can't yet estimate a return date? Let's hope for the former, the last thing Kev McLaughlin needs is another lengthy injury lay-off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Niall Morris is playing full-back at the moment for Leicester on Sky Sports 2 if anyone's interested. He's put in two fantastic covering tackles so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Hagz wrote: »
    Niall Morris is playing full-back at the moment for Leicester on Sky Sports 2 if anyone's interested. He's put in two fantastic covering tackles so far.

He got his third try for them last week iirc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

durkadurka wrote: »
    He got his third try for them last week iirc

Yup. He's got pace I never knew he had. Really quick.

Hagz wrote: »
    Yup. He's got pace I never knew he had. Really quick.

I would think he was the fastest man in Leinster easily. He chased down Danwel Demas for Aironi last season when he had no right to. Demas was one of the fastest blokes in S.A. rugby when there. He's absolute lightning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

Ed O'Donoghue is on a trial this week in Narbonne apparently. Good luck to him.

http://www.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/pro-d2/2011-2012/rcnm-odonoghue-a-lessai_sto2974301/flashnews.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

ambid wrote: »

http://www.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/pro-d2/2011-2012/rcnm-odonoghue-a-lessai_sto2974301/flashnews.shtml

What happened? Did we release him?

• Advertisement

padser wrote: »
    What happened? Did we release him?

Well that's the question. He doesn't seem wanted by management, but I don't know why. If people on here do know what's going on then they're doing a great job keeping it quiet... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

The article says he's still under contract with Leinster, but that Narbonne have until the end of the week to make up their minds. Sounds like a loan deal maybe...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

ambid wrote: »

Matt Williams picks up his old player. It's such a step down for a player who didn't look too out of place in the 2010 Summer Tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Kinger83

Ryan, Conway and McLoughlin potentially available for the Connacht match..

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/newsroom/8577.php

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Kinger83 wrote: »
    Ryan, Conway and McLoughlin potentially available for the Connacht match..

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/newsroom/8577.php

Great stuff. I thought Locky was due to be out for longer? Either way we need a break on that front. The last couple of weeks have been a bit of a joke really...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Great news. If even one of McL and Ryan are back for the Connaught match it would give us a huge boost.

Pleased to see Conway close to fitness as well, its disappointing that he hasn't been able to take advantage of the WC players missing, though of all positions back 3 is probably the least of out concerns.

With Sykes back to fitness as well it looks like we've got through the worst of it. Touch wood.

molloyjh wrote: »
    Great stuff. I thought Locky was due to be out for longer? Either way we need a break on that front. The last couple of weeks have been a bit of a joke really...

True, but the reserves have stepped up well. Browne has done a good job and Toner was absolutely excellent last weekend. Jordi Murphy hasn't let anybody down in his first couple of matches in such an inexperienced back row.

It is great news though. Now Sykes is back the second row should be grand, and if the others return then backrow will be back to strength. Leinster will need that against Connacht who look very good in the back row even without Naoupu.

Almost forgot about Conway with Carr and Kearney both doing so well :)

I'll actually feel a little sorry for many of these guys who will be joining the rest of us in the stands for the Munster and H-Cup matches next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Just thinking about it now I saw Conway on the pitch doing the warm-ups with the team on Saturday. He didn't look great to be honest. His movement was very laboured and he didn't really look comfortable. Anyone else notice that?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

With most of the squad still celebrating their World Cup win I'd expect us to field a weakened team against Munster!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

molloyjh wrote: »

I met Locky in the RDS before the game on saturday. He seemed in good form but I definitely noticed a limp. I wouldn't put money on him being selected for saturday...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement