Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭TheTMO

He always was a rather impressive player.

Its actually astounding just how much talent Leinster produce. They could probably fill two provinces academies if they wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

TheTMO wrote: »
    Its actually astounding just how much talent Leinster produce. They could probably fill two provinces academies if they wanted to.

That depends on the quality. Compared to most academies in Europe they must be near the top. Compared to NZ academies however it might be a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

TheTMO wrote: »

Aye. Little comfort when the team gets fcuked around by Treviso though. Could have done with Tonetti's speed and power last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/my_club/leinster/9021187.stm

Leinster forward Sean O'Brien has been cited for allegedly making contact with the eye of a Benetton Treviso player in Saturday's Magners League game.

The IRFU's disciplinary panel will hear the citing complaint against the Leinster number eight on Wednesday evening in Belfast.

The hearing will be chaired by Harry McKibbin who will be assisted by Stephen Hilditch and Neil Jackson.

O'Brien was cited by the independent citing commissioner at the game.

The alleged incident happened in the 62nd minute of the game which was won 29-13 by Treviso.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/my_club/leinster/9021187.stm

Leinster forward Sean O'Brien has been cited for allegedly making contact with the eye of a Benetton Treviso player in Saturday's Magners League game.

The IRFU's disciplinary panel will hear the citing complaint against the Leinster number eight on Wednesday evening in Belfast.

The hearing will be chaired by Harry McKibbin who will be assisted by Stephen Hilditch and Neil Jackson.

O'Brien was cited by the independent citing commissioner at the game.

The alleged incident happened in the 62nd minute of the game which was won 29-13 by Treviso.

Here's the incident, not sure that he made too much contact with eyes but he certainly raked his hand over the players face, if it was the H/Cup he get a ban but as it's the IRFU he may get off with a slap on the wrist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

phog wrote: »
    Here's the incident, not sure that he made too much contact with eyes but he certainly raked his hand over the players face, if it was the H/Cup he get a ban but as it's the IRFU he may get off with a slap on the wrist.

Should get what 3 months or more if this was the ERC? IRFU will give him a two weeks which will be appealed and brought to one such a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Looks like he caught him in the eye to me to be honest
    His hand moves comes up his face appearing to want to grab the scrum cap but crosses over the eye area and appears to make contact
    At this stage its fairly safe to assume that any contact with the eye area ends with a citing so that's just silly from SO'B.
    No need for it at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭outwest

stevo is right he will get a 2 week ban, short enugh that hes back the hec,

it looks pretty bad. if the irfu is serious about decipline he get at least 8 weeks,

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Stupid from O Brien tbh.
    No way that deserves anything like 8 weeks, but with the way the discipline process in rugby is it could be anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Stev_o wrote: »
    Should get what 3 months or more if this was the ERC? IRFU will give him a two weeks which will be appealed and brought to one such a joke.

You're spot on there.

He'll be back for the AIs at the very most. Guaranteed. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

It was far worse than what Jennings did last year, but he'll get a fraction of the punishment

• Registered Users Posts: 13,667 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

He'll be back for the AIs at the very most. Guaranteed. :rolleyes:

he hasn't been playing well since he returned from broken leg - i wouldn't pick him on merit, unless his form drastically improves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

People really think that's worth 3 months? To put into perspective, a spear tackle last week got nothing, which is far far more dangerous that what SOB did.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

If it's a deliberate gouge, then it's worth three months, but I personally don't think it was a gouge. It was definitely careless and reckless - the hand making contact with the eye area - which can be dangerous in itself, so some sort of punishment is required.

The problem is inconsistent punishments for gouge/eye area offences.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

If it's a deliberate gouge, then it's worth three months, but I personally don't think it was a gouge. It was definitely careless and reckless - the hand making contact with the eye area - which can be dangerous in itself, so some sort of punishment is required.

There's no doubt he intended to run his hand along the face of the Treviso player as he ran his hand the full lenght of the players face and then tried to pull off the scrum cap. I would seriously doubt he meant to gouge the eye of the player and from the clip there is no evidence of him gouging.

As I said above if this was a H/Cup citing he'd get time but with the IRFU dealing with it then who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Peter B

I reckon he was just trying to grab the scrum cap to pull him away. Reckless but not deliberate IMO. 2 weeks probably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Two offences are rarely ever the same, especially when degrees of intent plus plus interpretation of circumstance are being debated by a legal representative.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

danthefan wrote: »
    People really think that's worth 3 months? To put into perspective, a spear tackle last week got nothing, which is far far more dangerous that what SOB did.

It's not sensible, but I'd accept the need for it.

I'd not dispute the spear tackle was worse, because it was, but both should be punished.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭weareallmarks

sorry lads but that is a gouge. i am and sob fan and think this was his season to step up as a leader in the team. but that is a GOUGE! if your going for the scrum cap you dont start at the chin and run your hand all the way up...

we all play the game, we have all been in similar situations...have any of you tried to grab a scrum cap using the players chin as a starting point? i certainly havent...he slapped his right ring finger into the fellas eye.....

i think its a case of take your medicine here

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Blanchguy

And is it acceptable to use a scrum cap to drag someone anyway? It certainly wouldn't be acceptable grab a guy by the hair if he didn't have a scrum cap on? Other sports would view grabbing headgear very seriously.

• Advertisement

agreed blanch guy but the grabbing of the scrum cap would be kinda acceptable. everyone has done it at one point or another....

as for comparing this to the spear tackle, two completely different incidents...you can use the 'you didnt punish last weeks offender' as a defence for this ....

its a gouge. he was frustrated with the teams performance and lost the run of himself. and put his finger in the fellas eye...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

its a gouge. he was frustrated with the teams performance and lost the run of himself. and put his finger in the fellas eye...

You can't say that conclusively on the basis of the video I've seen. Having said that, it was an act of total stupidity by SOB to go near the face at all.

@hippo

yea i cant say it conclusively, but looking at it, it makes sense.

i do think he lost the run of himself due to frustration of the terrible team performance...

he has to take his medicine on this one i think...

Deserves a ban unfortunately, really not liking that this is creeping in with players I never would've expected to see in the same sentence as the word gouge.

Everyone knows at this stage, that the only way to attack a mans face is with a closed fist. That way you get a guaranteed ban, instead of this bull**** of 2-52 weeks that gouging has been earning in recent years.

No sympathy for him either, idiotic, regardless of intention.

Blanchguy wrote: »
    And is it acceptable to use a scrum cap to drag someone anyway? It certainly wouldn't be acceptable grab a guy by the hair if he didn't have a scrum cap on? Other sports would view grabbing headgear very seriously.

I don't know about you but my scrum cap isn't actually part of my body.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

That is not a gouge. Stupid? yes reckless? yes but a gouge? - come on!
    Give the guy a fortnight any more would be ridiculous.
    let's play some ball

Irish Times:
    It is understood that Treviso would be supportive of O’Brien if they are asked for their view of the events. Their team manager, Marius Goosen, told The Irish Times yesterday: “All I can say is that we didn’t know about the incident until the Leinster manager, Guy Easterby, rang me yesterday. It does look bad on the video but as far as I’m aware nothing happened (to Pavenello). We didn’t even know it (the incident) had happened.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭outwest

its not a gouge but its hand to face which in todays worlds results in a ban, but the irfu look out for their own, he get a very samll ban,he luckly it wasnt a erc match or he be out till xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Peter B wrote: »
    I reckon he was just trying to grab the scrum cap to pull him away. Reckless but not deliberate IMO. 2 weeks probably.

There's no way it'll be that light if its ruled contact with the eye area. He'll get off scot free or he gets 12 weeks. I think he'll get the 12 based on the footage. Not because he deserves it but based on previous bans to other players.

Is Ruddock injured or being rested?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

JustinDee wrote: »
    Two offences are rarely ever the same, especially when degrees of intent plus plus interpretation of circumstance are being debated by a legal representative.

No they're not, I know. I'm not asking for a blanket ban of X months/weeks for all the offences between deliberate-gouging-leading-to-blindness and accidentally-making-contact-with-the-face. Of course these should get different punishments. However, two offences occur with similar intent/effect/circumstance, they should get the same ban - not different bans depending on jurisdiction.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement