Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

wixfjord wrote: »

Just wait a year or so and pick it up in a charity shop. It's what I've started doing. Grand Slam dvd for €2, few different rugby picture books for €5.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Speaking of HEC momentos.. Did anyone buy the Leinster HEC dvd this year? If so, do you know if it has all the matches in full, including all of Leinster's pool matches over the european season?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Teferi wrote: »
    Just wait a year or so and pick it up in a charity shop. It's what I've started doing. Grand Slam dvd for €2, few different rugby picture books for €5.

CHARITY SHOP! For god sake man, we're privileged Leinster fans, we shouldn't ever need to set foot in a charity shop! Revoke your membership now, and leave your chinos and sunglasses at the door! :p

Yeah, most of these souvenir DVDs and books are well overpriced for Xmas, it's even worth waiting till Jan or Feb and they go way down.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

.ak wrote: »
    Speaking of HEC momentos.. Did anyone buy the Leinster HEC dvd this year? If so, do you know if it has all the matches in full, including all of Leinster's pool matches over the european season?

It says highlights so I'd assume not. It's probably the same as the 2009 DVD, which I found very disappointing tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Speaking of merchandise. The new 3rd jersey will be worn by the boys tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Hagz wrote: »
    Speaking of merchandise. The new 3rd jersey will be worn by the boys tonight.

Oh you're kidding! It's bloody awful... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Does anyone know when Leinster are going to name their HEC squad. Its a 38 man squad and you have to name 10 front row forwards. The squad I'd select is below.

Forwards (21)
    Props (6) VDM Healy McGrath Ross Hagan White
    Hookers (4) Strauss Cronin Dundon Sexton
    Locks (5) Cullen Toner Sykes Browne Flanagan
    Backrow (6) Heaslip SOB Jennings McLaughlin Ruddock Ryan

Backs (17)
    SHs (4)
    Redden Boss Willis Cooney
    OHs (3) Sexton Berquist Madigan
    Centers (5) D'arcy BOD McFadden O'Malley Fitzgerald
    Wings (4) Horgan Carr D Kearney Conway
    Fullbacks (2) Nacewa R Kearney

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

molloyjh wrote: »
    It says highlights so I'd assume not. It's probably the same as the 2009 DVD, which I found very disappointing tbh.

Its actually alot worse than the 2009 DVD. Only some highlights of the pool matches and short ones of the knock-out stages. If you can pick it up cheap somewhere it would be grand. Cost me 20 sheets :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Small amount of highlights for all the games, then the full 80 mins for the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Does anyone know when Leinster are going to name their HEC squad. Its a 38 man squad and you have to name 10 front row forwards. The squad I'd select is below.

Forwards (21)

Backs (17)
    SHs (4)

I'd imagine Berquist won't be named in the squad as he won't be playing before christmas. Will be added after I'd say. Willis dependant on whether he stays for the season. Otherwise I'd say that's spot on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Forwards (21)

Backs (17)
    SHs (4)

I think an extra backrow will be included instead of Flanagan. Mclaughlin can provide cover for second row if needed.

The future if Willis is still undecided he could well make the decision to leave as with Boss and Reddan ahead of him he won't get any game time.

Will Berquist be fit? I thought he was out til after Christmass. I was just looking to check on the Leinster website but they way they break up the news into Pro 12, Heineken, International etc makes it poxy to find anything out. Interesting you included Luke Fitz as a centre :P

Will Conway or Horgan be fit either? I could see Macken being added to the Heineken squad if neither of them are. Actually with Berquist out he prob will anyway.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I think an extra backrow will be included instead of Flanagan. Mclaughlin can provide cover for second row if needed.

The future if Willis is still undecided he could well make the decision to leave as with Boss and Reddan ahead of him he won't get any game time.

Will Berquist be fit? I thought he was out til after Christmass. I was just looking to check on the Leinster website but they way they break up the news into Pro 12, Heineken, International etc makes it poxy to find anything out. Interesting you included Luke Fitz as a centre :P

Will Conway or Horgan be fit either? I could see Macken being added to the Heineken squad if neither of them are. Actually with Berquist out he prob will anyway.

Conway is getting his return from injury in the A match tonight so I presume he is fit.

You can only replace 1 player during the pool stages so if a player is fit for the latter 2 games I would add them to the squad now. Berquist will be is supposed to return in the new year and I don't have a clue about Horgan so I gave him the benefit of the doubt.

I understand what you mean about Willis but I would like him there so I named him. Only time will let us know.

EDIT Conway already has a try on his return for Leinster A

Small amount of highlights for all the games, then the full 80 mins for the final.

Agh, disappointing. I'll just see if anyone has the games recorded then so.

Forwards (21)

Backs (17)
    SHs (4)

Looks like they would've been submitted today.

Over 1600 players submitted for European Registration

But when will we know? Dunno..

Anyone at the A game? Looks like Leinster are scoring tries but giving away shed loads of pens. Tries from Conway and Hudson (a personal fav, that guy's got wheels!!)

Anyone at the A game? Looks like Leinster are scoring tries but giving away shed loads of pens. Tries from Conway and Hudson (a personal fav, that guy's got wheels!!)
    Not at the game but another 2 tries Hagan and Hudson

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Hype710

Further tries from Ruddock and Boyle. Hopefully will see highlights of the game up on the website.

really hope there's videos of this. Want to see how Reid got on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

LEINSTER 'A' 46 V 19 ULSTER RAVENS21 October 2011, 7:30 pm

By Editor

Donnybrook
    SPORTSFILE
    Seven try Leinster 'A' put in a fine all round performance in defeating the Ulster Ravens 49-12 at Donnybrook on Friday evening...

Ulster out-half Paddy Jackson had the game’s first scoring opportunity after two minutes but his penalty attempt, five metres inside the Leinster half, fell wide of the posts.
    But Jackson made amends three minutes later with a three-pointer following an offside infringement by a Leinster forward to push Ulster into a 3-0 lead.

Leinster rallied and a quick tap penalty from scrum-half John Cooney in the 8th minute after Leinster won a scrum led to a move which culminated in Noel Reid penalty falling wide of the posts at the Wesley end of the ground.

The host’s tails were up and first skipper Dominic Ryan and then prop Jack McGrath applied pressure with some powerful drives. Then in the 13th minute centre Colm O’Shea produced a fine solo break into the opposition 22 and the ball found Leo Auva’a out wide who found Andrew Conway on an overlap to race clear and score.

Reid’s conversion attempt struck the upright but Leinster edged into a 5-3 nonetheless. A second Jackson penalty helped Gary Longwell’s side restore their lead by a single point in the 20th minute. With Leinster’s pack asserting themselves at set piece.

Steven Sykes gathered an Aaron Dundon lineout metres from the Ulster line but the attack was quelled and Ulster regrouped through scrum-half Ian Porter who was denied a try on the half hour mark by a strong covering tackle by Ciaran Ruddock.

With Jackson in the sin-bin kicking duties were assumed by Porter who slotted home a penalty to make it 9-5, but almost instantly from the restart Darren Hudson benefitted from a powerful Conway burst to touch down – with Reid’s fine conversion making it 12-9 to the hosts after 33 minutes.

A third penalty from Jackson levelled the scores as the half drew to a close.

Leinster began the second half with great zeal and hooker Dundon made some positive inroads into the Ulster 22 before being held up as the try-line beckoned. In a separate move in the 50th minute Brendan Macken sprinted down the touchline and linked up well with Cooney.

From the resulting scrum number eight Leo Auva’a took from the base of the scrum, found Cooney whose deft inside pass found Hudson who burst through the Ulster midfield to touch down for his second try.

Reid’s conversion sailed over the posts at the Bective end of the ground to make it 19-12 to the hosts after 52 minutes and two minutes later Jamie Hagan barged over from close in to extend Leinster’s lead to 24-12.

A Niall Annett offside infringement led to Ulster’s second yellow card on the hour mark and substitute out-half Cathal Marsh extended Leinster’s lead to 15 points.

Then in the 65th minute Leinster upped the ante with Ruddock getting his name on the scoresheet with Leinster’s fifth try of the evening, converted again by Reid, following an initial Auva’a break from a scrum to make it 34-12.

Winger Andrew Boyle got in on the act with a well-worked try after some smart play by substitute Cillian Willis in the 72nd minute before Ulster centre Chris Farrell added some gloss to the Ulster tally in the 78th minute, with replacement James McKinney converting, to reduce Leinster’s lead to 20 points before Ruddock added his second try in the last minute of the game, which Marsh converted, to secure Leinster’s seventh try of the evening.

*Leinster will face Esher RFC in the opening round of the B&I Cup on Saturday, 12th November (KO: 3pm).

LEINSTER 'A' SCORERS: D. Hudson, C. Ruddock (2 tries each), A. Conway, J. Hagan, A. Boyle (1 try each), N. Reid (3 conversions), C. Marsh (1 penalty, 1 conversion)

ULSTER RAVENS SCORERS: P. Jackson (3 penalties), I. Porter (1 penalty)

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/newsroom/8692.php

Reid, Marsh, Jackson and McKinney all playing.

Almost a certainty that at least one of those will be a full international for quite some time. My money on the 3rd...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

Yeah. Excellent second half from Leinster. Once they improved their discipline they really started to dominate the game. Ulster faded badly in the second half.

Auva'a really looked a class apart and was very strong with ball in hand. Ryan carried well, but the backs were excellent - lots of pace, movement, and invention. I thought they fully deserved their seven tries as they always looked like they could score more. Reid's goal kicking was poor though. Sykes seems to talk constantly at scrums and lineouts.

Ulster lost their number 4 Henderson to what looked like a bad injury. Hope he's okay. They weren't really competitive once Leinster improved their discipline as they struggled to get any ball without Leinster giving them penalties/ scrums.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Both the tens well be facing in the opening rounds of the hec played today. Donald I thought was overweight and sluggish but will take a lot of heart from the kick.
    Trine Duch looked excellent I thought. Hes really the key to the Montpellier game. Them away will be a big test IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

The NZers all think Duck is shíte. I'm inclined to agree.

Trinh-Duc's decent, as are Montpellier, they're the danger in our group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

The NZers all think Duck is shíte. I'm inclined to agree.
    Trinh Duck or Donald Duck? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

I suspect the HEC won't be a priority for them. The first game away to them will be a challenge though.
    I've always thought we'll lose it and bath away will be the clincher in terms of a home quarter . But you never know how things will pan out .

Trinh Duck or Donald Duck? :pac:

Donald Duck. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Montpellier's internationals are returning to find their team in 11th place. Surely domestic rugby will be their priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭CouchSmart

Montpellier away as our first HEC game is going to be tough. They're a real team. Very few individuals, they play for each other - they'll be out to win no doubt. We win and we can be happy. A loss and our campaign looks a lot tougher but that's what makes HEC so good. Very little room for slipping up.

Anyway, two important Rabo games before that. The team needs to keep winning after all the hard work that's been done keeping us up near the top during the WC. Should be interesting to see how the WC guys are reintroduced into the team.

CouchSmart wrote: »
    Montpellier away as our first HEC game is going to be tough. They're a real team. Very few individuals, they play for each other - they'll be out to win no doubt. We win and we can be happy. A loss and our campaign looks a lot tougher but that's what makes HEC so good. Very little room for slipping up.

Anyway, two important Rabo games before that. The team needs to keep winning after all the hard work that's been done keeping us up near the top during the WC. Should be interesting to see how the WC guys are reintroduced into the team.
    What do you mean by very few individuals?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭CouchSmart

What do you mean by very few individuals?

Like opposite of Toulon. No absolute stand out players (Oudreogo and Trin-Duc + Gorgodza* apart) but their collective is much stronger than a group of individuals.

*I cant believe I forgot him. Cracking player.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement