Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

CouchSmart wrote: »
    Like opposite of Toulon. No absolute stand out players (Oudreogo and Trin-Duc + Gorgodza* apart) but their collective is much stronger than a group of individuals.

*I cant believe I forgot him. Cracking player.

Yeah, I was going to point that triumvirate out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I don't think Montpellier will target HEC at all, but worst time to play is certainly away in first round.

I don't think Bath are a great side, so wouldn't be overly worried if we lost the opener, we're more than capable of recovering and winning group.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

[Jackass] wrote: »
    I don't think Montpellier will target HEC at all, but worst time to play is certainly away in first round.

I don't think Bath are a great side, so wouldn't be overly worried if we lost the opener, we're more than capable of recovering and winning group.

I'd expect the traditional 'lesser' French approach of taking a cut at it in the first couple of games, and if it doesn't work, collapse and give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I really think we should be disappointed if we don't win all our games in this group. It's up to us to determine our own future this year and ensure we've got the best Quarter Final possible.

Montpellier have been really poor so far this season. I'm a big fan of Galthie and his coaching team but I really think they overperformed last season and we should be able to beat them. They don't have many players to come back... Privat, Gorgodze, Trinh-Duc and Oudraogo. Possibly more, I'm not certain, but I don't think so. I think first up is actually the perfect time to play them away: They have two games between now and then... one against Agen (without internationals surely) who are well above them in the league and one against Lyon who are one spot below them. I don't think the French returning players will play next weekend, and then they'll be in a position where they'll only have played Lyon since coming back. Given the threat of relegation I don't think Galthie will be able to focus on the Leinster game and I reckon Leinster, off the back of the Munster game, will be far better prepared and playing at a higher level. I'm much happier playing them now rather than in December when they may have won a few games and would be more comfortable concentrating on a H Cup clash.

Glasgow are a team we should beat home and away. Simple as.

Bath are, I think, our biggest threat away from home due to the fortunate timing of the French game and the fact we play them away first up. Luckilly we have them in the middle, hopefully they might lose away to Glasgow or home to Montpellier (or even both!) which would suit us perfectly. I think winning in Bath will be the big challenge, but if we do it the rest of the group should be softer for us as they may not turn up after that and Montpellier certainly won't.

This group is FAR easier than last season's and this team is good enough to ease into the top seed spot for the Quarters. I said it when I saw the draw and I still reckon the biggest obstacle between Leinster and a European double is the Semi Final draw, let's pray we get it at home again if we get that far (which we should).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

This group is FAR easier than last season's and this team is good enough to ease into the top seed spot for the Quarters. I said it when I saw the draw and I still reckon the biggest obstacle between Leinster and a European double is the Semi Final draw, let's pray we get it at home again if we get that far (which we should).

We should be easily getting a home QF. To be honest, unless we are away to Toulouse or Northampton in the semi, I'd fancy us to make the final.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, though. One game at a time.

But taking Munster to the cleaners would be the perfect preparation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

The Munster match is going to be fascinating viewing, first one after a world cup always is.

ROG vs Sexton and Murray vs Reddan especially. I fancy us to win it, but I think (and hope!) the spark will come from the squad players who have done brilliantly over the past 6 (?) weeks.

Also, I'd cry tears of joy if Fitz scored a game breaking try.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Rhapsody in Blue out this morning. Actually sounds really good! Certainly better than the video:
    In Rhapsody In Blue, the Sportsfile team of photographers have recorded every moment of this epic adventure – the tries, the tackles, the moments of magic and the game-changing incidents that led to the ultimate triumph. Above all, they have captured the drama and the emotion along the way – for the players, the backroom team and the fans.

The players themselves also provide invaluable insights to the season. Captain Leo Cullen, Brian O’Driscoll, Jonathan Sexton, Isa Nacewa, Sean O’Brien, Richardt Strauss, Shane Horgan and Simon Shawe describe the build-up to the matches and share personal memories of key incidents, with Sexton having the final word on the grand finale in Cardiff.

Joe Schmidt gives an overall assessment of the campaign. Peter Breen, Media and Communications Manager for Leinster Rugby, writes a synopsis of each game showing how the action unfolded and the Supporters Club tell what it was like from their point of view.

Perfect for an Xmas stocking filler for that Leisnter lover in your life!!
    I wonder is it a coffee table book or a smaller one though?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Seems dumb to have the munster match on friday night, it will be difficult for munster fans to make it up to dublin who work 9-5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Seems dumb to have the munster match on friday night, it will be difficult for munster fans to make it up to dublin who work 9-5.

The last few in Thormond have been a Friday as well, all be it Good Friday. I wonder how much sway do the provinces have in these decisions and how much is up to the TV companies and the league organisers themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Exactly. That's why its on Friday night ;)

Nah I'm joking, I agree. Friday night matches can be hard for Leinster fans who work 9-5 and aren't based in Dublin as well. There have been a few games over the years on Friday nights that don't have the capacity that they should because people can't make it to the match. Although with an 8pm ko it shouldn't be that much of a problem for most. Not that fair on Munster fans I will admit. Presume its decided by our television masters.

• Advertisement

WeeBushy wrote: »
    Exactly. That's why its on Friday night ;)

Nah I'm joking, I agree. Friday night matches can be hard for Leinster fans who work 9-5 and aren't based in Dublin as well. There have been a few games over the years on Friday nights that don't have the capacity that they should because people can't make it to the match. Although with an 8pm ko it shouldn't be that much of a problem for most. Not that fair on Munster fans I will admit. Presume its decided by our television masters.

8pm will be a stretch for me, and I work in Dublin. Can't imagine how you'd get up from Limerick, Cork or Kerry for the night if you've to work until 6.

35,000 tickets sold it seems though, can't wait, should be a great evening!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

wixfjord wrote: »
    8pm will be a stretch for me, and I work in Dublin. Can't imagine how you'd get up from Limerick, Cork or Kerry for the night if you've to work until 6.

35,000 tickets sold it seems though, can't wait, should be a great evening!

If you're in work until 6pm, then it's not happening. But for people who finish at 5pm on a Friday or those that have some flexibility to get away a little early they could make it up from Limerick. The road is fantastic. I made Dooradoyle to north Dublin in 2 hours last Friday*. It's as quick from Limerick as it is from some parts of Leinster. But surely Munster fans don't want to put themselves through such a hurried journey to spend the late hours of their Friday night on the M7 with their tails between their legs? :pac:

*penalty points may have been involved in this journey

GerM wrote: »
    If you're in work until 6pm, then it's not happening. But for people who finish at 5pm on a Friday or those that have some flexibility to get away a little early they could make it up from Limerick. The road is fantastic. I made Dooradoyle to north Dublin in 2 hours last Friday*. It's as quick from Limerick as it is from some parts of Leinster. But surely Munster fans don't want to put themselves through such a hurried journey to spend the late hours of their Friday night on the M7 with their tails between their legs? :pac:

*penalty points may have been involved in this journey

Indeed, but you still have to battle city centre Dublin traffic, find parking, make the long sojurn into D'Aviva and all. It has to be the longest way to get into a stadium ever!
    Tbh i'd find it hard to make it from Wexford in that time on a Fri night.

Balls... I'm only after realising now it's on the Friday after buying tickets. I also have tickets to a gig on that night. I wish Leinster would work harder to please me above everyone else and only schedule games on nights when I'm definitely free

Tweet from SOB:
    Well done to the All blacks! While they were playing a rwc final I was chasing a couple of bulls around that broke out last night for 2 hrs.

The man is an absolute legend! If I were a bull, I wouldn't like to be chased by that man!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭andrewdcs

AS an expat, the Friday night (i.e. big TV audience) matches are great.

Brothers going mental as he's to work and can only make middle of first half... I'll keep him up to date from the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

Tweet from SOB:

The man is an absolute legend! If I were a bull, I wouldn't like to be chased by that man!

SOB was at the Leinster A game on Friday in Donnybrook, as was Leo Cullen. It's nice to see the senior guys supporting the next generation, fair play to them.

Les Kiss was there too, which surprised me as I doubt many of the guys playing would be on the radar of the national team just yet. Maybe he just enjoys watching a good game of rugby though.

I'm getting a bus up from Limerick, what time should I be at busáras if I want to be at LR an hour before the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

I'm getting a bus up from Limerick, what time should I be at busáras if I want to be at LR an hour before the game?

Depends on whether you know the city well enough to hop on a Dublin bike. If so you'd probably make it from Busaras to LR in 15-20 minutes.

Dunno about DART. Taxi or bus depends on the traffic.

Dorsh is your best bet imo.

Would take next to no time (which in Dublin terms is 15-20 minutes). Just hop* across the Liffey to Tara Street.

*Disclaimer: Do not attempt to literally hop across the Liffey, I will not be held responsible for drowned Munster fans.

• Advertisement

DART from Connolly to LR would be the best, just be sure to check the entrance colour on your ticket, as some stops you cant enter from i believe.
    Probably leave an hour to be safe.

Hop on a Dart at Connolly Station which is across the road. There's a train at 6.41pm which will have you at Lansdowne Road station before 7pm.

EDIT: As wixfjord says, check your ticket. If you're in the north end of the ground, you'd be as well getting off at Grand Canal Dock instead of fighting through the crowds and walking back the way you came.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

ambid wrote: »
    SOB was at the Leinster A game on Friday in Donnybrook, as was Leo Cullen. It's nice to see the senior guys supporting the next generation, fair play to them.

Les Kiss was there too, which surprised me as I doubt many of the guys playing would be on the radar of the national team just yet. Maybe he just enjoys watching a good game of rugby though.

Yeah, it's good to hear that, but also there were some senior players on the team and they'd be keen to see them perform in any match.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Connolly train station is just across the road from Busaras and it's only 2 or 3 stops to the stadium. Just check where you're sitting as if you're in the south of the stadium you get off at Lansdowne Road and if in the North get off at Grand Canal Dock.

Or if you're feeling energetic you could walk to the stadium. Prob 20 or 30 mins.

Either way getting off the bus in Dublin 1hr 30 mins would give you plenty of time to get to the staium.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭pajunior

Dart from Connolly (right behind Bus Aras) to either Grand Canal or Lansdowne depending on the stand. North Stand and maybe parts of East would be grand canal, lansdowne for the rest.

God us Leinster fans are such a pleasant, helpful bunch!

God us Leinster fans are such a pleasant, helpful bunch!

Yeah, I was close to converting there for a second... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Yeah, I was close to converting there for a second... :pac:

Soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

ambid wrote: »

There generally are a few of the senior team at those games alright. Saw Ferg, Toner and Boss there too. Missed Les Kiss though.

Bloody good second half from the young lads. Got Hudsons second on video...

• Advertisement

Fair play, molloyjh. Great work! Very nice footwork from him although the Ulster defence was fairly awful. Openside was badly burned on the inside.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement