Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭jack01986

Pure Legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Anyone see this on frontrow.ie

http://frontrow.ie/blog/index.php/2011/10/25/new-rds-arena-naming-rights-on-offer-for-e15-million/

New RDS Arena naming rights on offer for €15 million

The RDS is planning to revamp its Arena next year and are looking for up to €15 million for the naming rights.  A number of big brands have been approached with regards to taking on a ten year contract for the naming rights to the Arena. The RDS currently hosts all of Leinster Rugby’s home games, the Dublin Horse show and high profile summer concerts featuring George Michael and Bruce Springsteen in the recent past. The RDS reaches an international audience with its Heineken Cup competition being televised internationally. It is anticipated that after the revamp its capacity will increase from 18,500 to 23,000. Naming rights is a lucrative business,  The Lansdown road  stadium recently sold its naming rights to “Aviva” in a ten year deal for €40 million.

Which big brand will step up to the plate? It is more than likely to be a major player in the insurance, airline or motor industry. At €15 million, it is not going to be an easy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

The owners of the RDS have really struck gold with Leinster playing there.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Would love to see some ballsy brand take the naming rights and give it a proper name rather than a brand name, unlike the Aviva or O2. I think if they did it correctly, it would certainly stand to them.

The Shane Byrne Mullet Stadium?
    The BOD Arena?
    Cameron Jowitt Field?

Thank god Leinster are not a stand alone enterpise though, as they are surely losing some revenue from renting the RDS.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

durkadurka wrote: »
    Anyone see this on frontrow.ie
    Was mentioned on FM104 and a few other sets of radio news over the weekend.

From what I've heard there isn't money for the RDS to do the expansion of the RDS arena that they are talking about and someone decided lets see if we can get money this way.

Whats more any redevelopment is contingent on Leinster and the RDS coming to a new long term deal with no break clauses. The current lease has break clauses after 5 and 10 years so you have to understand that the RDS are afraid Leinster will pull out and host all games at the aviva or something. Also RDS would want to raise rents if they expand the stadium.

Personally I don't get attached to stadium names so I think its a good idea to sell naming rights especially if it means that a stadium expansion can be afforded. I hope it goes through but I kinda don't want to see Leinster trapped for 20 years in a 23,000 seater stadium if rugby really expands its fanbase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

"Clint Newlands"

I always thought the name of it (royal Dublin showgrounds) doesn't exactly help Leinster shake that south Dublin tag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

profitius wrote: »
    I always thought the name of it (royal Dublin showgrounds) doesn't exactly help Leinster shake that south Dublin tag.

It's Royal Dublin Society.

Good to see 40,000 tickets have been sold for Leinster Munster

Was mentioned on FM104 and a few other sets of radio news over the weekend.

From what I've heard there isn't money for the RDS to do the expansion of the RDS arena that they are talking about and someone decided lets see if we can get money this way.

Whats more any redevelopment is contingent on Leinster and the RDS coming to a new long term deal with no break clauses. The current lease has break clauses after 5 and 10 years so you have to understand that the RDS are afraid Leinster will pull out and host all games at the aviva or something. Also RDS would want to raise rents if they expand the stadium.

Personally I don't get attached to stadium names so I think its a good idea to sell naming rights especially if it means that a stadium expansion can be afforded. I hope it goes through but I kinda don't want to see Leinster trapped for 20 years in a 23,000 seater stadium if rugby really expands its fanbase.
    It's a difficult situation.
    Currently, the RDS really suits Leinster, and the cost of moving or building elsewhere would not be worth it.
    A bigger stadium with better amenities would be very welcome imo, and I can't see a time when the option to move 4-5 regular season games to the Aviva for example would be too little. Don't think we'll ever see a stage where 23,000 is a sellout for each game and we need the Aviva for more than 5 regular games.

The naming rights would be a great idea, and particularly because the RDS isn't really a name the history of the province is attached to.
    I also have faith in the branch to pick the right offer. They know the brand is very important to continuing increases in the support base, so Ryanair for example wouldn't be a fit, whereas Volkswagen, an insurance company or BOI would.

• Advertisement

wixfjord wrote: »
    The naming rights would be a great idea, and particularly because the RDS isn't really a name the history of the province is attached to.
    I also have faith in the branch to pick the right offer. They know the brand is very important to continuing increases in the support base, so Ryanair for example wouldn't be a fit, whereas Volkswagen, an insurance company or BOI would.
    Its the RDS themselves who are selling the naming rights not the branch so the branch wouldn't get a veto on the name if the RDS sold to Ryanair.

It's a difficult situation.
    Currently, the RDS really suits Leinster, and the cost of moving or building elsewhere would not be worth it.
    A bigger stadium with better amenities would be very welcome imo, and I can't see a time when the option to move 4-5 regular season games to the Aviva for example would be too little. Don't think we'll ever see a stage where 23,000 is a sellout for each game and we need the Aviva for more than 5 regular games.

I very much doubt it's the branch who will be picking the offer.

I presume the branch will have some say in it though, as their brand will be strongly linked with whoever is picked.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

I presume the branch will have some say in it though, as their brand will be strongly linked with whoever is picked.

I'm just praying for the Issey Miyake Arena, or something along those lines.

Dubarry Park v2 anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Ah no, that'd be Donnybrook.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Just thinking today, I really really hope Luke McGrath is encouraged to keep practicing his kicking. In recent years it seems a lot of young non outhalf players like McFadden and the Kearneys just stopped and it harms both Leinster and Ireland. I still don't see why McFadden stopped, he was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Dubarry Park v2 anyone?

Ronan O'Gara Memorial Stadium?

Not sure why you're so hung up on what the name is tbh, apart from financing the new stand it's really not going to have much impact. Do you honestly think people will refuse to go to games in the Ryanair Stadium on the back of the name alone?

Just thinking today, I really really hope Luke McGrath is encouraged to keep practicing his kicking. In recent years it seems a lot of young non outhalf players like McFadden and the Kearneys just stopped and it harms both Leinster and Ireland. I still don't see why McFadden stopped, he was great.

Indeed. Having kickers throughout the team gives the option of playing a different type of 10. Looking at some of the players coming through now, it looks like this will be the case in the future as skill levels rise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Madigan, for example, has a better role in the team when he has someone else kicking for him.

WeeBushy wrote: »
    Madigan, for example, has a better role in the team when he has someone else kicking for him.
    Thats probably because it takes pressure off him. When asked to kick he hasn't disgraced himself

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Powerade Park....

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭pajunior

If the RDS are looking to expand but are strapped for cash you would imagine now is the time for the IRFU/Leinster branch to buy a stake in the stadium and claim it as Leinster's home forever more.
    The way it is there is no-where else for Leinster to realistically go, unless UCD has a bunch of land and are interested.

Kielys are showing the Embra game live on Fri night.
    They have BBC Alba.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

also anyone with sky should be able to watch it by adding BBC alba as an additional channel in case they haven't already, you won't be able to record it though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Kielys are showing the Embra game live on Fri night.
    They have BBC Alba.

Anyone know of anywhere closer to, say, central Geneva?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Naming rights announced on RTE, in a joint corporate venture naming the stadium.

"The Trevor Brennan's Bread Tour Emporium"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

LEINSTER XV:

15: Rob Kearney
    14: David Kearney
    13: Eoin O'Malley
    12: Fergus McFadden
    11: Luke Fitzgerald
    10: Jonathan Sexton
    9: Isaac Boss

1: Heinke van der Merwe
    2: Sean Cronin
    3: Mike Ross
    4: Leo Cullen CAPTAIN
    5: Devin Toner
    6: Kevin McLaughlin
    7: Dominic Ryan
    8: Leo Auva'a

REPLACEMENTS:

16: Richardt Strauss
    17: Jack McGrath
    18: Nathan White
    19: Steven Sykes
    20: Rhys Ruddock
    21: John Cooney
    22: Ian Madigan
    23: Fionn Carr

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Quite happy with the side and very happy to see Dave Kearney and Toner keep their spots. Disappointed to see the Fitz experiment seems to be at an end. I'm not a massive fan of McFadden and EOM being paired together. I think it lacks a bit of creativity and cutting edge. Like the look of the pack although I'm surprised that Schmidt didn't include Jennings in the squad. He got very little game time in the WC and will need something under his belt before the HEC.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement