Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

GerM wrote: »
    LEINSTER XV:

15: Rob Kearney
    14: David Kearney
    13: Eoin O'Malley
    12: Fergus McFadden
    11: Luke Fitzgerald
    10: Jonathan Sexton
    9: Isaac Boss

1: Heinke van der Merwe
    2: Sean Cronin
    3: Mike Ross
    4: Leo Cullen CAPTAIN
    5: Devin Toner
    6: Kevin McLaughlin
    7: Dominic Ryan
    8: Leo Auva'a

REPLACEMENTS:

16: Richardt Strauss
    17: Jack McGrath
    18: Nathan White
    19: Steven Sykes
    20: Rhys Ruddock
    21: John Cooney
    22: Ian Madigan
    23: Fionn Carr

Strong team on paper. Interesting to see Fitz back on the left wing. I think O'Malley is lucky to hang on to a starting spot-. He has been poor enough IMO this season. I would have left Fitz at 12 and kept Carr on the wing

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭pajunior

Agree with the sentiments regarding Fitz. Would have been interesting imo to push McFadden out to 13, the boy has pace to burn and not a bad pass either.
    I really think Fitz can be a top class 12 and really we don't need him as much on the wings.

would've preferred 11 Carr, 12 Fitz, 13 McFadden

Know at this stage not to second guess Schmidt though

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Have to say I reckon Fitz at 12, Ferg at 13 would have been better too. EOM hasn't shown his good form from last season so far.

Would prefer to see Isa at 11 then. We're going to see him pushed onto the wing for some of the season with Rob back. May as well see how that works out now. Carr really hasn't impressed me beyond a couple of good runs early on in the season. I'd have Luke and Isa there ahead of him, especially if it means one or the other will miss out on a starting place otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

things I learned today #1 although he pretty much single handily won us the HC final this year, in the 199 replies in the Leinster Comp not one person has said sexton is their favorite player!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

when was the last time that Nacewa wasnt in a matchday squad? Could be about 2 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

things I learned today #1 although he pretty much single handily won us the HC final this year, in the 199 replies in the Leinster Comp not one person has said sexton is their favorite player!

Well spotted. Aside from Nacewa though (who is a folk hero with fans), no back has been named that hasn't been there for a long time. It's all Hickie, BOD and Shaggy. Luke hasn't got a mention, nor McFadden or Reddan. Kearney has two and I would be guessing they could be from members of the fairer sex. Still very surprising though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

If they have this competition again in 5 years time, all the answers will be the lads in their early and mid 20's now. It's understandable that the veterans in Drico, Horgan et al are being named.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Teferi wrote: »
    If they have this competition again in 5 years time, all the answers will be the lads in their early and mid 20's now. It's understandable that the veterans in Drico, Horgan et al are being named.

That's a good point. It would be interesting to see the age demographic against the player picked.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I was tempted to go for Sexto but for me it's all about the players that have given me years of enjoyment watching the game... That's Hickie for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

Is Jamie Hagan injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Actually interesting that he wasn't picked. I'd imagine it's trying to give everyone some equal game time....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Was going to go with Sexton, but opted for a joke answer instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Nice team. I recon a substitution involving Carr could see Fitz move to centre, but we'll see. Depends on how the match is flowing maybe. As emmet said, Schmidt knows what he's up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

tolosenc wrote: »
    Was going to go with Sexton, but opted for a joke answer instead.

If it wasn't Frano, hang your head in shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

If it wasn't Frano, hang your head in shame.

Clint Newland?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

tolosenc wrote: »
    Clint Newland?

The rich man's Tony Buckley. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

http://www.ercrugby.com/eng/news/14792.php

Refs announced for first 2 rounds. Dave Pearson for Montpellier and Andrew Small for the Glasgow match

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Montpellier lost again tonight away to Agen.
    They're third from bottom now, no French players back yet though.

They've Lyon away next week, fellow relegation strugglers. If we win away I could see them throwing in the towel by the end of the tournament.

Bath and Glasgee both won, Bath away at LI, and Glas at home to Ospreys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

We owe Glasgow one for the home defeat this season. They will be a tough nut to crack though. I've a feeling Montpellier wont have their head in it from the word go. They may even rest players in an attempt to rescure their domestic season.

Bath finding a bit of form, but as Ulster showed last season, they're not a great side. I'm quietly hopefull and confident about the group. Home QF definitely the target.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

[Jackass] wrote: »
    We owe Glasgow one for the home defeat this season. They will be a tough nut to crack though. I've a feeling Montpellier wont have their head in it from the word go. They may even rest players in an attempt to rescure their domestic season.

Bath finding a bit of form, but as Ulster showed last season, they're not a great side. I'm quietly hopefull and confident about the group. Home QF definitely the target.

Definitely, it's our easiest group for a while. We've a better pack than all three, a better backrow than all 3 and a better 9/10 than all three.
    Pity the way the games have come though.
    Montpellier at home first in particular is a tough one.
    Bath will be the tough nut though imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

I'm getting a bus up from Limerick, what time should I be at busáras if I want to be at LR an hour before the game?
    Dorsh is your best bet imo.

Would take next to no time (which in Dublin terms is 15-20 minutes). Just hop* across the Liffey to Tara Street.

*Disclaimer: Do not attempt to literally hop across the Liffey, I will not be held responsible for drowned Munster fans.
    wixfjord wrote: »
    DART from Connolly to LR would be the best, just be sure to check the entrance colour on your ticket, as some stops you cant enter from i believe.
    Probably leave an hour to be safe.

Anybody planning on travelling by train to the match should be aware the flood damage means the LR station will be closed for a couple of weeks.

http://www.irishrail.ie/news_centre/travel_alerts.asp?action=view&news_id=1226

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

For the moment I think it's a case of watch this space on this one (Lansdowne Road closure) a new plan by Irish Rail will have to be put in place as it's usually Grand Canal that closes during the games. Lansdowne is also far far better equipped to handle a large amount of fans.

Coming from the city centre you'll just have to be there earlier as I don't know if the DARTS will be as frequent as usual. Plus if you're in the south stand you'll have to walk get off at Grand Canal so the walk will be a bit longer to the stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Is there another station near sandymount?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Is there another station near sandymount?

The DARTS can't go any further than Grand Canal because the bridge over the Dodder is literally at the end of the Lansdowne Road platform.

It's not too far from Grand Canal to the south stand of the Aviva
    http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5166361

You can either get the dart to grand canal and walk. It's max 15 minutes. Come out of the station, turn right until you come to the T junction of the main road (Upr Grand Canal St.), swing a left, you'll be able to see the stadium in the distance from there, then go straight down onto either Shelbourne Rd. or turn on to Bath Avenue further down depending on where your seat is. Simples.

Alternatively, you could get one of the many bus routes from the city centre that run to Ballsbridge / RDS and walk over.

Or if you're feeling especially posh and / or are completely lost in the big shmoke, a cab from city centre would be a tenner split between you. Which is a rip off given it's proximity to town btw.

Getting excited about this already!! :D Prior to Thomonds epic match thread (which the sooner posted the better to build the atmosphere and banter before beers!! :p) who would people go as starting teams?

Leinster I'd go for Healy, Strauss, Ross, Cullen, Sykes, O'Brien, Jennings, Heaslip, Reddan, Sexton, Fitzgerlad, McFadden, O'Driscoll, Nacewa, R. Kearney - Cronin, Van Der Merwe, Hagan, Toner, Ryan, Boss, Madigan, Carr. The strength of bench we're able to produce is a big plus. I'd like to see McFadden in at 12 ahead of D'Arcy, and no disrespect to D'Arcy, I just think McFadden is the most underrated player in Ireland at the moment, but very unlikely. Also tough to call a 23 jersey, but I just like Carr for his attacking flair alone, D. Kearney solid, but if we're throwing on a player should we be chasing a game, I'd prefer to have Carr's blistering pace in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I'd go with

1. Healy
    2. Strauss
    3. Ross
    4. Cullen
    5. Toner
    6. O'Brien
    7. Ryan
    8. Heaslip
    9. Reddan
    10. Sexton
    11. Fitzgerald
    12. D'arcy
    13. O'Driscoll (if fit, if not then McFadden)
    14. Nacewa
    15. Kearney

16. Cronin
    17. VDm
    18. Hagan
    19. Sykes
    20. Jennings
    21. Boss
    22. Madigan
    23. McFadden

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Getting excited about this already!! :D Prior to Thomonds epic match thread (which the sooner posted the better to build the atmosphere and banter before beers!! :p) who would people go as starting teams?

I'll stick it up after the teams are confirmed, hard to write about a game where the lineups aren't easy to predict (Leinster in particular). That will be a Thursday.

• Advertisement

I hear ya. Excuse the impatience, L / M in lansdowne road is always a pretty awesome occasion, looking forward to the read in the build up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement