Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Hagz wrote: »
    I had a feeling that would be the case. If so, O'Malley or McFadden?

Or Luuuuuuke?

Darcy at 12 and MCF at 13 for me I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

wixfjord wrote: »
    Or Luuuuuuke?

Darcy at 12 and MCF at 13 for me I'd say.

If it were my choice it would be Luuuuuke. But I'd say Schmidt will go with McFadden. Hopefully McGahan chooses Chambers at 13 and Barnes at 12. That'll be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

If it were my choice it would be Luuuuuke. But I'd say Schmidt will go with McFadden. Hopefully McGahan chooses Chambers at 13 and Barnes at 12. That'll be nice.
    Schmidt has used McFadden at 13 for about 10 minutes since he took over. I reckon its probably a fight between Fitz and EOM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Schmidt has used McFadden at 13 for about 10 minutes since he took over. I reckon its probably a fight between Fitz and EOM

Has Schmidt used Fitz at 13? Hasn't played there in a long time. If EOM was in form I'd stay with him, but I think he's been a bit subdued this season (not helped by injury). I'd start McF at 13.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'd go with O Malley if BOD doesn't make it.

Luke Fitz to the best of my knowledge has never played there before and McFadden for me is a winger.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I'd definitely go with McFadden.

He'll probably partner with D'Arcy.

Would be good to see a backline of Reddan, Sexton, Carr, Fitzgerald, McFadden, Nacewa & R. Kearney.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

As I mentioned in the munster tt thread, it's likely to be Mafi/Chambers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

As I mentioned in the munster tt thread, it's likely to be Mafi/Chambers.

So, Chambers on his own for about 10 minutes at some point.

[Jackass] wrote: »

Would be good to see a backline of Reddan, Sexton, Carr, Fitzgerald, McFadden, Nacewa & R. Kearney.

Jesus, you and your man love for Carr!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

WeeBushy wrote: »
    Has Schmidt used Fitz at 13?
    HEC Saracens away last season

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Under Schmidt McFadden hasn't got a look in at 13. In Cheika's last year McFadden got a good few starts there but last season Schmidt always went for O Malley at 13, even to point of putting McFadden on the wing.

I think that new centre partnership and with Carr on the wing too that back line you have up would be defensively weak. Also while Fitzgerald and McFadden are good strike runners I don't know how much of the ball would make it to the wings if they were to play.
    HEC Saracens away last season

Is that his only start at 13, I forgot all about it!

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Under Schmidt McFadden hasn't got a look in at 13. In Cheika's last year McFadden got a good few starts there but last season Schmidt always went for O Malley at 13, even to point of putting McFadden on the wing.

I think that new centre partnership and with Carr on the wing too that back line you have up would be defensively weak. Also while Fitzgerald and McFadden are good strike runners I don't know how much of the ball would make it to the wings if they were to play.

Is that his only start at 13, I forgot all about it!

He's certainly played at 13 for Leinster before that too.
    I agree though actually, I think O Malley would be thrown in if BOD was out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Luuuke's appearances at centre have been mainly at 12, e.g. this season and when D' Arcy had his arm injury, but I'd be happy enough to see him at 13 either.

Imagine a Leinster backline without BOD, D'arcy or Horgan for a big game, scary stuff but would be great to see the younger guys step up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

McFadden is a better player than O'Malley imo, and is in much better form. I'd be surprised if O'Malley was in. I'd sooner have Fitz or McFadden in centre before turning to O'Malley.
    wixfjord wrote: »
    Jesus, you and your man love for Carr!

Trust me man, he's going to come good. And when he does, he'll be something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

I've mixed feelings for Carr. He's had some great games and some anonymous ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

In terms of his attacking talent Carr should absolutely be starting. I don't know if his defense is up to it though... saying that Dave Kearney was atrocious in defense last weekend so maybe Carr is the right way to go.

I reckon Fitz will start at 11 though. I'd prefer him at 12 and Carr at 11 but we need experience in the centers...

I guess it'll be:

Healy, Best, Ross, Cullen, Toner, O'Brien, Jennings, Heaslip, Reddan, Sexton, Fitzgerald, D'Arcy, McFadden, Nacewa, Kearney

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

[Quote=[Jackass];75248652]Trust me man, he's going to come good. And when he does, he'll be something else.[/Quote]

I really hope he does come good. Other than a few good runs in the first few games he's shown very little so far. And from the Glasgow game onwards I honestly can't think of a single thing he's contributed. D Kearneys defensive display last week was poor enough, but he was strong going forward and I've had very little to complain about prior to the Embra game. He's not as flashy, but he's a much harder worker.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

In terms of his attacking talent Carr should absolutely be starting. I don't know if his defense is up to it though... saying that Dave Kearney was atrocious in defense last weekend so maybe Carr is the right way to go.

I reckon Fitz will start at 11 though. I'd prefer him at 12 and Carr at 11 but we need experience in the centers...

I guess it'll be:

Healy, Best, Ross, Cullen, Toner, O'Brien, Jennings, Heaslip, Reddan, Sexton, Fitzgerald, D'Arcy, McFadden, Nacewa, Kearney

Did I miss something rather significant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

O'Brien likely to return, Reddan a doubt with illness:
    http://irishexaminer.ie/sport/rugby/obrien-looks-set-to-face-munster-172535.html

Reddan missing out wouldn't be a disaster, Boss looked sharp against Edinburgh, but it would have been good to give as many people as possible some game time before the HC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Trust me man, he's going to come good. And when he does, he'll be something else.

He would want to get a move on then. He's not going to be in the HEC match day squad and he's only on a 1 year deal. I reckon he has two windows to impress: the opening 6 games of the season and the handful of games played throughout the 6N. The first and the biggest has passed him by with one very good performance and three or four anonymous showings followed by being dropped. I would think the signs don't look good. Come the 6N, Conway should be fit and competing for the jersey and Shaggy could possibly be involved too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Rumour that JHW has signed for Bristol on LF. All the best, if true. Quite the step down for him but he should get regular game time there and he's young. Bristol are top of the Championship currently so it's feasible that he could be starting in a Premiership side this time next year.

O'Brien likely to return, Reddan a doubt with illness:
    http://irishexaminer.ie/sport/rugby/obrien-looks-set-to-face-munster-172535.html

Reddan missing out wouldn't be a disaster, Boss looked sharp against Edinburgh, but it would have been good to give as many people as possible some game time before the HC.

****, Reddan and BoD out would be a big leveller imo.

GerM wrote: »
    Rumour that JHW has signed for Bristol on LF. All the best, if true. Quite the step down for him but he should get regular game time there and he's young. Bristol are top of the Championship currently so it's feasible that he could be starting in a Premiership side this time next year.

hopefully he'll get some sense kicked into him and he'll come back in 3/4 years and be ready to play with a proper head on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

GerM wrote: »

good move for him, he was struggling for game time at Clontarf behind Dundon, he'll be joining Clontarf's 2 wingers from last season in the Championship, Keating at Doncaster and Mick McGrath at Plymouth

hopefully he'll get the sense kicked into him and he'll come back in 3/4 years and be ready to play with a proper head on him.

OK Emmet, let it go.

OK Emmet, let it go.

?

He's a serious talent, just hate seeing attitude get in the way of progression. The move rumoured could be absolutely exactly what he needs, and could shape him into the kind of player that he easily could be.

?

He's a serious talent, just hate seeing attitude get in the way of progression. The move rumoured could be absolutely exactly what he needs, and could shape him into the kind of player that he easily could be.
    Just anytime he gets mentioned, someone has to stick the boot in about his attitude and such (not singling you out); let's just be positive and wish the guy the best.

Just anytime he gets mentioned, someone has to stick the boot in about his attitude and such (not singling you out); let's just be positive and wish the guy the best.

"hopefully he'll get some sense kicked into him and he'll come back in 3/4 years and be ready to play with a proper head on him."

- positivity

:confused:

• Advertisement

"hopefully he'll get some sense kicked into him and he'll come back in 3/4 years and be ready to play with a proper head on him."

- positivity

:confused:

We won't fall out over it, but that's hardly an emotional bon voyage :)

Anyway, the main thing is that he has a better chance of getting game time there and hopefully he'll develop as a player; is/was one of the Blaney brothers at Bristol? Might be good for him to have an Irish presence there to help him settle in.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement