Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

wixfjord wrote: »
    That back row and centre partnership is there for the taking imo.

No second row cover on the bench for either side.

McLoughlin for us-Ryan for them?

I think the non selection of Dominic Ryan is down to the fact that if Jennings gets injured, SOB moves to seven and Locky/Ruddock to six.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

That backrow battle if mouthwatering for me tbh.

Only place I think we're a little light is 9 (presuming Redders is ill) and second row, but Varley and Strauss may even that out.

You saw that he's on the bench, right? I'd expect him to get 20-30 minutes at least, Boss starting doesn't weaken the team at all.

Bring. It. On.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Play McFadden at 14 and EOM at 13 maybe with Rob on the bench?

That doesn't sound like a bad prospect does it?:pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

You saw that he's on the bench, right? I'd expect him to get 20-30 minutes at least, Boss starting doesn't weaken the team at all.

Bring. It. On.

I did, but that's why I'd presume he's ill.
    By all accounts he was a serious doubt, so i'd say he's not near 100%, but Cooney was too big of a risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Burgo wrote: »
    That doesn't sound like a bad prospect does it?:pac:
    No it doesn't but I think if it was my choice I'd have gone the same way as joe

• Advertisement

Weather for this looks good from met.ie, which can only be a plus for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

No TOL starting, which is a disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

WeeBushy wrote: »
    Also Ruddock over Ryan on the bench.

Seeing as Ruddock has captained the side a few times now and played all back-row positions this season he seems like a logical enough choice I reckon.

I can't see anything beyond a Leinster win tbh, but I reckon it'll be a tight game. Our back-row should dominate theirs, our half-backs are better IMO and I'd take our back 3 over theirs too. Not sure about up front. They've the edge in the second row and we don't know enough about Chalmers yet, or Darce's form, to call the centre partnerships. With home advantage and the support we should have (Munster returned tickets) I can't see us losing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Can't wait for this now...

Really looking forward to Ferg's display. He had a bit of a horrid week last week and I think he needs to prove the naysayers that he's top shelf stuff.

The backrow must've impressed in training, as I doubt they'd be picked on merits, so I'm not too concerned about this being their seasonal debut.

We most definitely owe them for the two trip to Thomand last year. Gonna be a great match I hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Off Topic apparently we are stuck with MVP's for games now in stead of having a MOTM

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Off Topic apparently we are stuck with MVP's for games now in stead of having a MOTM

They should just call it the SOB.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Why is there two 6's on the bench ???

molloyjh wrote: »
    Seeing as Ruddock has captained the side a few times now and played all back-row positions this season he seems like a logical enough choice I reckon.

I can't see anything beyond a Leinster win tbh, but I reckon it'll be a tight game. Our back-row should dominate theirs, our half-backs are better IMO and I'd take our back 3 over theirs too. Not sure about up front. They've the edge in the second row and we don't know enough about Chalmers yet, or Darce's form, to call the centre partnerships. With home advantage and the support we should have (Munster returned tickets) I can't see us losing it.

Leinster have a real edge in terms of the front-row replacements and if the likes of Horan or Hayes have to fill in for more than a few minutes, I think we can benefit from that, likewise Cronin vs Fogarty - I wouldn't trust either to hit a donkey's arse with a banjo let alone hit a jumper at the tail of a lineout, but at least Cronin can run with the ball.

I hate to be confident about these matches but I have to say, unless Leinster are very rusty following the World Cup, or we concede a lot of penalties, I can't see past a home win.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

MVP is used by the stadium announcer because MOTM is an official league thing awarded by a tv commentator

thebaz wrote: »
    Why is there two 6's on the bench ???

McLaughlin has been playing second row a lot, and I reckon they realise that SOB can cover 7 just fine against any of Munster's opensides.

Reckon we'll see McLaughlin for Toner at some stage, and Ruddock for Jennings.

.ak wrote: »
    Can't wait for this now...

Really looking forward to Ferg's display. He had a bit of a horrid week last week and I think he needs to prove the naysayers that he's top shelf stuff.

The backrow must've impressed in training, as I doubt they'd be picked on merits, so I'm not too concerned about this being their seasonal debut.

We most definitely owe them for the two trip to Thomand last year. Gonna be a great match I hope!

Indeed, hopefully the huge home crowd can influence the ref the same way small was influenced in Thomond last year.
    Hopefully no fireworks or the ensuing smoke this year though.
    I particularly hope we haven't got clapometers too!

Hard to believe that this game last year was our first in the Aviva. Made it a real fortress since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭chancer12

Disappointed to see Luke at 11 again.

*mod edited as team is already posted*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I think if McLoughlin was covering second row then Ryan should definitely be on the bench. Even Ruddock to cover second row. I just think you'd get better value out of Ryan as an option.

Very happy with the teams though, Leinster are strong. It will be a tough game and we will need to gel pretty quickly and get our combinations right, Munster have a headstart in that respect.

The depth is great though and the team looks strong, all the right calls made by Joe imo. The only one I'd dispute would be the worth of O'Malley on the bench. Fitz can cover centre, and if there is an injury to fitz (or any of the back 3) it's a case of shifting McFadden out wide, possibly Nacewa to FB and O'Malley in to centre.

O'Malley has been poor this seasons and (yes.....wait for it......) I definitely think the number 23 jersey should have gone to Carr. for his impact and attacking threat.

Munster look vunerable in areas, maybe it's just wishful thinking, but that side looks like an absolute shadow of the quality of side they fielded during their glory days...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

molloyjh wrote: »

Hopefully, BJ Botha will go down with one of his frequent injuries; Leinster have a real edge in terms of the front-row replacements and if the likes of Horan or Hayes have to fill in for more than a few minutes, I think we can benefit from that, likewise Cronin vs Fogarty - I wouldn't trust either to hit a donkey's arse with a banjo let alone hit a jumper at the tail of a lineout, but at least Cronin can run with the ball.

I hate to be confident about these matches but I have to say, unless Leinster are very rusty following the World Cup, or we concede a lot of penalties, I can't see past a home win.

Disgusting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

chancer12 wrote: »

Disappointed to see Luke at 11 again.

Was always going to happen as soon as the WC boys came back.

• Advertisement

Disgusting!

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Team is great. Joe is always right.

Front row is possibly/probably the strongest front row in Europe. Hopefully well see Hagan come in at some point to see where he stands. WDP and Varley will be out of their depth and their bench depth is of a far lower standard.

Second row is reliable. Toner is in great form. Two lineouty locks but Toner has the size and weight to be an all rounder. Locky can come in and do a job as well, even if he's a little untested. DOC/POC are better though.

Our back row is about 97x better than theirs. All players are far superior to their opposite numbers in all facets of play.

Boss started the last time we beat them and Sexton is obviously a great player.

Our backs are better than theirs across the board (Earls/Fitzgerald up for debate) although Chambers is a bit of an unknown quantity, especially against McFadden who can be dodgy at 13.

Hard to look past a Leinster win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Disgusting!

:rolleyes:

Great to see that you think wishing injury on a player is a perfectly reasonable thing to do. Expected as much tbh.

Great to see that you think wishing injury on a player is a perfectly reasonable thing to do. Expected as much tbh.

good to see you think calling players on your team "Leinster Rejects" as an insult is perfectly acceptable, yet will gladly proclaim Felix Jones as Ireland's shining light and beacon.

**** stirring isn't really cool bro. There's no need to get hypersensitive, I wasn't too happy with seeing the text as it was, but I don't think that it was half as big a deal as "disgusting" makes it out to be. It was an OTT comment, which you've now drawn attention to and resonated, instead of just taking it with a pinch of salt and a shrug of the shoulders.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

ah here lads we haven't seen started the match thread. Let's leave it at that

Really? Did you honestly think I was being serious in wishing injury on a player?

Just for the record, I wasn't being serious, so let's move on.

Edit: earlier post edited so as to remove statement re Botha. Again for the record I wish him all the best because I want Munster to do well (after tomorrow anyway), and they need a decent TH for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

ah here lads we haven't seen started the match thread. Let's leave it at that

Nice Avatar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Have to say, I'm very uncomfortable with McFadden at 13. We were playing a rush defence with players shooting up a lot last week. With BOD at the helm, I would have no qualms about continuing this but McFadden isn't in that league at all when it comes to defensive alignment or positioning. My real hope here is that we absolutely make rubbish of any ball that Munster have allowing us to be in place and man for man by the time ROG puts some width on it. I think we're going to see Earls popping up in midfield a few times looking to test McFadden's positioning.

Our pack will have to front up big time. If the Munster back row manages to get a foothold in the game and can get a bit of luck then we're going to be dragged into a game that we don't want to be in. I just hope we move the ball around a lot and run their pack off their feet. The likes of WDP and Botha are not 80 minute men and will not relish the idea of trundling from ruck to ruck. If we can have them out on their feet before an hour then we should get the likes of Hagan, McLaughlin and Ruddock on quickly to turn the screw and hammer into them with the ball in hand.

GerM wrote: »
    Have to say, I'm very uncomfortable with McFadden at 13. We were playing a rush defence with players shooting up a lot last week. With BOD at the helm, I would have no qualms about continuing this but McFadden isn't in that league at all when it comes to defensive alignment or positioning. My real hope here is that we absolutely make rubbish of any ball that Munster have allowing us to be in place and man for man by the time ROG puts some width on it. I think we're going to see Earls popping up in midfield a few times looking to test McFadden's positioning.

Our pack will have to front up big time. If the Munster back row manages to get a foothold in the game and can get a bit of luck then we're going to be dragged into a game that we don't want to be in. I just hope we move the ball around a lot and run their pack off their feet. The likes of WDP and Botha are not 80 minute men and will not relish the idea of trundling from ruck to ruck. If we can have them out on their feet before an hour then we should get the likes of Hagan, McLaughlin and Ruddock on quickly to turn the screw and hammer into them with the ball in hand.

Little secret for McFadden if he's reading. If this happens, Earls will take the ball and cut inside. 100% of the time. He will never go on the outside, his motus operandi is to take the ball and step back where it's come from.

For every player that reads this that defends against him for other teams, ignore it fully. It's clearly a lie...

(no its not)

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 492 ✭✭thebison

Is the Munster Game live? No Match thread yet?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement