Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Heaslip on Facebook:
    Great captain's run in Lansdowne earlier. Really clinical and precise. Gotta bring that along with serious intensity this weekend. I can't wait to wear the jersey again... The noise from the blue army sends shivers down my spine!

Good to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Hagz wrote: »
    Nice Avatar!

nothing to see here.

move along.

no mod bias what so ever.

<_<
    >_>

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

thebison wrote: »
    No Match thread yet?

Thomond2006 is doing his usual preview and will have a thread up by 7 ish

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Leinster have a real edge in terms of the front-row replacements and if the likes of Horan or Hayes have to fill in for more than a few minutes, I think we can benefit from that, likewise Cronin vs Fogarty - I wouldn't trust either to hit a donkey's arse with a banjo let alone hit a jumper at the tail of a lineout, but at least Cronin can run with the ball.

The starting front rows is more what I was looking at. Leinster should have the edge there all right. We def have a far better bench in that regard. Munster are really struggling for props now obviously with 2 imports on the field and a 34 and 38 YO on the bench. And our hookers are undoubtedly better than their opposite numbers. But given the lack of game time this team has had together I feel the game will be similar enough to last years.

Obviously I'd take a 30-0 win though... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Anybody think Schmidts decision to put Nacewa on the wing was the wrong thing to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭smurphy29

Not really profitius. Isa is a better full back than Rob, no question, but given Shaggy is out injured, it's not really a straight shootout. It's a question of getting the best back three out on the pitch, not just the best 15. I think 11 Luke 14 Isa 15 Rob is the best back three we can get out there. Rob isn't really a wing, so switching them wouldn't work, so you'd be looking at one of Dave K or Carr to fill the 14 shirt if you moved Isa to 15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

profitius wrote: »
    Anybody think Schmidts decision to put Nacewa on the wing was the wrong thing to do.

Nope. I think he's a better FB than Kearney, but I think with Horgan out and BOD suspect our options were the Kearney bros, Carr or Nacewa. And out of those options I think Isa's the best. Kearney is defensively weaker, and although that will still be a problem with him at FB, at least he'll be playing in his proper position.

I agree, I think Kearney at FB and Isa on the wing was the correct call.
    Isa can do a lot of attacking from there, and, if Leinster are smart, they will put him back when a long kick is on to run back, or switch it to his wing straight away to run back.

I also think he's got the awareness and defensive ability to stop Earls, which D Kearney or Carr do not.
    I'm really beginning to think Carr was a bit of a waste of a signing, i'd be very nervous about him in a big tight game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

No. With Horgan out in terms of personnel the Fitz/Nacewa/Kearney combo is strongest, and Nacewa can still influence the game from the wing without a doubt, more so than Kearney would be able to. I'm happy with the backline. If Horgan was fit I probably would have gone with Fitz/Horgan/Nacewa.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Not sure. I think Leinster lose alot by not having Nacewa at full back. I would have just as happy if not happier to see them playing opposite roles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Isa can play at any position from 10 to 15 and make it look like he was born for the shirt when he does play there. I have no issue with moving Isa to the wing - we're not losing anything at all.

However if we put Kearney on the wing then we would be losing something.

Can't wait to see how it pans out...

I think Nacewa is a much better counter attacker than Kearney. He is more unpredictable and harder to defend against. He might come in off his wing more but hes best when he has space in front of him.

I'd like to see Carr and Nacewa start a few games together.

From an Irish point of view its good to see Kearney playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Cillian Willis has joined Sale for the remainder of the season and has been put straight onto the bench for their clash with Sarries this weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭roycon

two world class full backs. hard to say whos better as they are very different types of player. nacewa is a better passer and is more agile but kearney is the best full back in the world at taking high balls and long kicks. it will give nacewa more freedom playing on the wing to just float around and come in at out-half and centre occasionally in attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

GerM wrote: »
    Cillian Willis has joined Sale for the remainder of the season and has been put straight onto the bench for their clash with Sarries this weekend.
    thats a shocker, good for him signing over there and moving on with his professional career. Especially after talking about retiring before.

Does anyone know much about the Sale side. Looking at the squad I was thinking he might be second choice over there?

thats a shocker, good for him signing over there and moving on with his professional career. Especially after talking about retiring before.

Does anyone know much about the Sale side. Looking at the squad I was thinking he might be second choice over there?

From reading their fans boards recently, they're doing alright considering their situation in terms of results but they're still in a bit of disarray. The tenure of Brewer started a slide which was followed by an exodus of their best and most experienced. They've brought in the likes of Buckley (who was a complete disaster on his debut apparently), Andy Powell, Richie Vernon and Tuitupou. The problem for them now is that other sides will start to get their players back after the WC and they'll slide down the table. They've been riding their luck thus far with a few very narrow wins. Hopefully Willis will get some time over there. I assume he's playing for a long term contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Smart move from him knowing he wont get game time with leinster until the six nations. I hope it does him good. And good luck to him.

They've brought in the likes of Buckley (who was a complete disaster on his debut apparently)

Must make you feel quite ill after spending money on him and watching him play to his 'usual' standard on his first day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

.ak wrote: »
    Must make you feel quite ill after spending money on him and watching him play to his 'usual' standard on his first day.

But he is in better shape then he was. Much fitter.

In fairness to Buckley, last week he was up against a unit containing Ayerza and Cole, which was replaced by Stankovich and Castro. All hungry for gametime and with Tigers gunning for a win.
    Not an easy way to make your debut for a scrummagingly inferior prop!

• Advertisement

Buckley should be tried as a second row. They don't have to lift him and get him to lose a few stone. He has good hands and strength few players can match. He would really help the scrums if he was in the second row. Losing a few stone would also help him get around the pitch more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Buckley came on as a sub against Leicester, he was seriously awful. He just plodded around the pitch looking completely uninterested.

Buckley should be tried as a second row. They don't have to lift him and get him to lose a few stone. He has good hands and strength few players can match. He would really help the scrums if he was in the second row. Losing a few stone would also help him get around the pitch more.

It wasn't even the scrums that brought the ire of the supporters although he was reportedly beat up badly in those too. He took it into contact once or twice and was hammered with Toby Flood of all people driving him backwards on one occasion. Some of the comments on the Sale forum are scathing. I feel sorry for the bloke as he always seemed to be one of the genuine nice guys of the game but he simply does not have that mean streak to make it as a tighthead. You don't become a tighthead for me, you either have it in you to be one or you don't. You have to relish the physical confrontation and Buckley shies away from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

danthefan wrote: »
    Buckley came on as a sub against Leicester, he was seriously awful. He just plodded around the pitch looking completely uninterested.

So he was his usual self then?

Every time I look at Buckley I think he was poorly managed, his physique is absolutely ideal to be a World Darts Champion.

Surely someone would've mentioned to him that he was playing the wrong game?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

From the interview with Joe after the match Bod seems to be a doubt for the first match of the HEC

Overall from last night:

- Hines is missed hugely. Toner was alright. Did what he does but Hines was the best lock in the country over the past 2 years and his absence would be felt by any side. If he was on the pitch, we would have had that bit more control I think.

- McLaughlin isn't a lock. He just doesn't have the power for the position. For me, it doesn't matter if he's 6'4" and 110kg; for me, he lacks the out and out power needed for the engine room and we lose a lot in terms of grunt when he's on the field. Not just in regards to the scrum. Defending mauls, big clear outs, holding up players etc. Not his game. He's a clever and mobile blindside. I don't think he'll ever cut it at lock against the big sides.

- I would think we're holding back on the back line moves until next week but still there was a lack of creativity in the back line. We moved the ball well and ran hard from deep but there was no spark in the midfield. Munster defended excellently but did we ask enough questions of Mafi and Chambers? I don't reckon so. BOD apparently out for next week also which is a concern. We need to start developing his replacement now (Mike Ross ended his dream of being that man last night)

- Boss is in top, top form. He was excellent last night and should start next week especially against that Montpellier back row. Reddan was reportedly ill during the week but even allowing for that I want Boss in. He's someone you want in the trenches alongside you. Even though he looked disappointed to be called ashore you could see him roaring encouragement to Reddan as he came on. Absolute team player and the best of the four Irish scrum halves on display last night.

- To use a word only a Leinster fan would, Sexton most certainly has his mojo back. None of his kicks were particularly tricky but they were ones he was missing 6 weeks ago and he slotted them all. He moved the ball well and won MOTM without having to extend himself.

- Van der Merwe worries me. He hasn't looked like the same player this season at all so far. He has struggled against Botha in the past but he was beasted last night. He should have dropped that scrum for me when he was going backwards before the penalty try was on the cards. Last season it was horses for courses with himself and Healy but it looks like Healy has him in all facets now.

- I was wrong about Nacewa getting involved still from the wing. He was kept out of proceedings and couldn't influence the game in his usual manner. Kearney was good but Isa is magical. Bit of a conundrum but I'm happy to give it another run next week. Sweet drop goal from Rob and showed some lovely hands once or twice.

- I would think we're holding back on the back line moves until next week but still there was a lack of creativity in the back line. We moved the ball well and ran hard from deep but there was no spark in the midfield. Munster defended excellently but did we ask enough questions of Mafi and Chambers? I don't reckon so. BOD apparently out for next week also which is a concern. We need to start developing his replacement now (Mike Ross ended his dream of being that man last night)

Yeah, or do you think maybe a couple of the lads need to 'de-Gaffney' themselves? Whilst I know there was only Boss, Sexton, and Darce and Kearney in the backline returning from international duty, the 9, 10, 12 channel does tend to set up most of these backline moves.

It seemed at times Isa was trying to create things for himself cuz no one else was.. Up and unders, moving inside, sweeping etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

The team I'd choose against Montpellier (if Drico is unfit), is probably not the same as everyone else's.

1. VDM
    2. Strauss
    3. Ross
    4. Cullen
    5. Toner
    6. O'Brien
    7. Ryan
    8. Heaslip
    9. Boss
    10. Sexton
    11. Fitzgerald
    12. D'arcy
    13. O'Malley
    14. McFadden
    15. Nacewa

16. Cronin
    17. Healy
    18. Hagan
    19. Sykes
    20. Jennings
    21. Reddan
    22. Madigan
    23. Kearney

Reasons
    VDM - just to have Healy come on with impact, and it worried me that maybe Hagan and VDM aren't strong in the scrum together (although there were 7 men).
    Ryan - I think Jennings was below par last night, and although that can be put down to his lack of prior game-time, and a harsh referee, I still think that if you have a guy like Ryan who's worked his socks of in the absence of the 1st XV, you should reward him.
    Boss - was the better scrum-half
    O'Malley - I personally wasn't too impressed with McFadden. He showed a lot of aggression but not much creativity. It sort of confirmed for me that he's a 12. O'Malley did well in the Clermont fixture last season, so I have no problem going with him again.
    McFadden - Part of the reason I don't want him at 13 again, is because if he's on the wing, Nacewa can go full-back. Nacewa at full-back is massive for us IMO.

• Advertisement

So lads, where do we go from here.
    Great win that, as it always is against Munster but I thought we weren't anywhere near top form.

Thought Ross was impressive, Cullen was very good, and was impressed again with Toner.
    Boss was great again too, as was Sexton.

Backs overall weren't near as incisive as they normally are.

Hines is going to be a huge loss, know a lot have been saying it on here, but it was really obvious last night tbh.

In my opinion, we're going to find it very hard to replace BOD.
    MCF should stick to 14 imo, don't rate him as a centre at all.

Also, though I thought it was the correct call, Isa should really be our 15 from now on. We're far more dangerous with him back there. Rob is a great FB, but Isa suits our game better.

Not too worried about the pushover, as people have said, we were underpowered and Munster were on the up. Little worried about Hagan and VDM, and if Ross gets injured in the early stages of the season, we could be in trouble imo.

Overall, good win, if a little flat, and I hope BOD is back next week.

With Montpellier not playing this weekend due to a mumps outbreak, last night could really give us an upper hand.

One final thing, Boss should be our first choice #9 from now on. Has had a great start to the season, and things just feel far more controlled with him there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement