Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Winning try in the HEC after coming on in the second half. Fair play. Glad to see common sense prevail and his overall well being taking precedence. Time to use it as an opportunity. Everyone moves up one spot on the roster. McFadden is now our first choice 13. David Kearney is our bench player hopefully as he offers more versatility than EOM.

No BOD, no Hickie, no Shaggy, no Girv, no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Hype710

Surely the right decision. Hope he comes back next season with a spring in his step. It's a great time for McFadden, Fitz etc to become influential players in the Leinster backline. One thing that springs to mind, hopefully this doesn't mean Earls at 13 in the Six Nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭pajunior

To be honest, I'm glad he's getting surgery on his shoulder. It's been going every now and again for years. Hopefully this surgery will allow him to have a longer career and an easier retirement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

While I am gutted that BOD will be out for 6 months. This might be a blessing in disguise. It will allow both Leinster and Ireland to look forward and blood a new player in at 13.

Time for McFadden to step up for Leinster and maybe Ireland.

Hype710 wrote: »
    Surely the right decision. Hope he comes back next season with a spring in his step. It's a great time for McFadden, Fitz etc to become influential players in the Leinster backline. One thing that springs to mind, hopefully this doesn't mean Earls at 13 in the Six Nations.

With Earls being out for the next month it's up to McFadden or Cave to take the jersey for themselves. I don't think Griffin is ready for consideration quite yet. McFadden will have a massive opportunity and if he performs well it makes the decision an easy one for DK. Keep his best try scorer on the wing and let the in form 13 replace BOD. Cave needs to nail the 13 jersey for Ulster first although, at this time, I'd have him in it ahead of Spence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

To be honest, 6 months rest might not be the worst thing for him or Leinster. He gets his shoulder fixed, that's great, but 6 months of not taking massive hits and getting buried under rucks could be the thing he needs to prolong his career.

I don't doubt for a minute that he fully intends going on the 2013 Lions tour and if this surgery and ensuing rest helps him achieve that, then I'm all for it.

I don't doubt Leinster's ability to do well in his absence, but when it comes to the crunch matches later on in the year, it will be a massive test for whoever is wearing 13 to step up, and for the team to grind out wins without their go-to match winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Hype710

GerM wrote: »
    With Earls being out for the next month it's up to McFadden or Cave to take the jersey for themselves. I don't think Griffin is ready for consideration quite yet. McFadden will have a massive opportunity and if he performs well it makes the decision an easy one for DK. Keep his best try scorer on the wing and let the in form 13 replace BOD. Cave needs to nail the 13 jersey for Ulster first although, at this time, I'd have him in it ahead of Spence.

I'd like to see Cave get a shot as he's a thinking player who doesn't make many errors. McFadden, on the other hand, is more explosive, quicker but makes several errors and that's why I'd be concerned for him at international level. Recently he's made cock ups allowing tries for the mighty Scottish and Russian backlines. A lot will depend on provincial form and selection, however.

One thing is for sure though, DK will not select two inexperienced centres so D'arcy or Wallace very likely at 12.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Same backline for Montpellier then?

I'd say so; the only question is whether Schmidt played McFadden at 13 against Munster, thinking BOD would be back and was using McFadden in his usual covering role, or whether he knew BOD would be out for the Montpelier game and was trying out his new first-choice backline.

I still think Luke would be better than McFadden at 13, but there's not much in it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Kinger83 wrote: »
    According to http://talkingrugbyunion.co.uk/ BOD is out for 6 months and is having surgery next week.

Leinster rugby confirmed it too.

• Advertisement

11 McFadden 12 Fitzgerald 13 D'Arcy 14 Nacewa 15 Kearney

please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭vinny chase

11 McFadden 12 Fitzgerald 13 D'Arcy 14 Nacewa 15 Kearney

please

yeah, I'd like to see that too, but don't think it'll happen being honest.

Isa's influence is negated a bit too when he isn't at FB, but I still want Kearney playing there. Might be a little bit worried about d'Arce's pace to defend the 13 channel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Should mean more opportunities for Macken too, my tip as BODs long term succesor although it might be a season too soon for him.

The other day in the Aviva, the announcer mentioned that the Leinster App had won some sort of App Award.. And I was thinking that's unusual, cuz I downloaded it about a year ago for Android and it was easily one of the worst Apps I've ever had to use, and was never updated.

So I downloaded it again to see if it had changed. It had.. But it's not much better. Really poor layout, especially for the fixtures and stuff, and is incredibly sluggish. How'd this win any sort of app award.... :confused:

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

.ak wrote: »
    The other day in the Aviva, the announcer mentioned that the Leinster App had won some sort of App Award.. And I was thinking that's unusual, cuz I downloaded it about a year ago for Android and it was easily one of the worst Apps I've ever had to use, and was never updated.

So I downloaded it again to see if it had changed. It had.. But it's not much better. Really poor layout, especially for the fixtures and stuff, and is incredibly sluggish. How'd this win any sort of app award.... :confused:

Hah i was thinking the same thing! It's awful!
    The rest of the apps must have been really bad.

It won best sports app at theappys, ahead of Munster Rugby, Paddy Power and others.

Yeah, if anyone out there wants to make a decent sports app they should look at the RWC app. That was decent. Very simple and responsive.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

.ak wrote: »

The layout is poor and it is sluggish, but content wise it has far more than the others. It's not like the Munster or Connacht ones are any better anyway....

Not to dregg up the Horan argument, but interesting to see BOD mentioning 'off the ball' incidents that caused him issues here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

completely understandably, O'Driscoll is an Irish player before a Leinster one, and has achieved everything with Leinster, twice, so is now looking to take a season out, get his body right, and go for at least one last season to have a crack at the Lions tour, but he will not be seen in a Leinster jersey this season.

Awful shame and a massive hammer blow to our chances of retaining the Heineken Cup, but I think now is the oppertunity to fix our long term centre ambitions, a bit sooner than we expected, but at least we're forced to face them rather than dragging every last drop out of the older guys.

I would like Fitz as 13 and D'Arcy at 12 (for now) and McFadden at 12 in the longer run.

So my backline for Montpellier would be

9. Boss / Reddan (probably Boss, as is the case with away games)
    10. Sexton
    11. McFadden
    12. D'Arcy
    13. Fitzgerald
    14. Nacewa
    15. Kearney

Still a serious backline, but with Horgan out long term too, it really does stretch the resources, so it's up to guys like Carr, Conway & D. Kearney to really take this oppertunity by the scruff of the neck and force their way into the team long term. This is their chance.

Debate was already abound about McFadden overtaking D'Arcy in the centre, and with Fitz moved to centre also, that's a spot open for grabs now in the back 3, even with the rotation, all the "established" players are stretched.

IMO, while it's a massive, massive loss, it could be one of the best things to ever happen to us, as we're forced to face this problem now, and not flog a dead donkey until he's 36 and undroppable until he's embarresing himself by doing a Munster on it. Short term pain for long term gain. I've a feeling Fitz could find a whole new lease of life at centre, his defence is ferocious, and with his quick feet and turn of pace over 10 metres, a D'Arcy / McFadden hard up the middle and offload to Fitz could really see him do some damage. We know he has the talent, and I really really hope he is given this oppertunity now, and I've a feeling everyone who enjoyed his demise could really be eating their words if he is.

Also, awful, awful time for the two wonder kids Macken and Conway to be injured, the amount of chances they're missing, but hopefully they can come back and get a chance too, as we could uncover the next great talent this season with a run of games at senior level.

I'm gutted for the lads themselves, but optimistic in the next generation being given the oppertunity to defend the trophy now, and let's see how they do.

O'Malley deserves a mention too. 13 cover by default, but hasn't been great for me this season, he has been very good in the past, and if he's going to become a top class player, he will have his oppertunity to prove it now.

At least the biggest headache is the utter abundence of options we have and who's best, rather than signing journey men and playing mediocre crap players in there and trying to convince ourselves they're amazing over a fresh pint of turnip juice. So it could be a lot worse. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

wixfjord wrote: »
    Hah i was thinking the same thing! It's awful!
    The rest of the apps must have been really bad.

It won best sports app at theappys, ahead of Munster Rugby, Paddy Power and others.

Paddy Powers app is useful, were there other criteria for winning other then functionality e.g. number of team affiliated alickadoo's buying the judges drinks at the bar

• Advertisement

How important do people feel BOD was in winning the HC last season? I don't think he was all that vital and would have won it without him.

This is not an anti BOD post would just like to get a feel for opinions on the likelihood of Leinster retaining the HC without him. I ask mainly for betting purposes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

He's a massive loss, runs the backline, defensive organiser, decision maker. Plus his ability, defence & distribution. Not a "pro" BOD post either, just answering your question, he was critical to us winning the HEC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

How important do people feel BOD was in winning the HC last season? I don't think he was all that vital and would have won it without him.

This is not an anti BOD post would just like to get a feel for opinions on the likelihood of Leinster retaining the HC without him. I ask mainly for betting purposes.

Well the odds offered by PP for Leinster to win the HC have gotten longer since before the Leinster v Munster match. Presumably because of the BOD announcement.

I think he is, and was last season, hugely important to Leinster's success. I liken him a bit to Ryan Giggs (sorry for the analogy) in that he had to change the way he plays as he got older but is still a really important player. His contributions aren't as obvious, but he still plays a massive role in the structure, organisation, defense, leadership, decision making and general inspiration of the team. We can win it without him, we have some seriously talented players to fill in for him, but it will be harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

You sometimes don't miss bod till he's gone and the whole back line looks a shadow of itself

I wouldn't have us favourites any more. And the home qf isn't so likely. We can still do it mind you, but it's a massive challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

To be honest I don't think thats a question that anyone can answer without being on the field. He is credited with defensive organisation and leadership which in many ways are intangibles that are hard to tell from the stands.

I believe he had a significant role but someone else could say he had little or no role since he didn't really put in massive performances in any of the games on a personal level.

Cheers for the replies lads. Interesting point Ciaran, most probably will be a case of wait and see.

Still think you lot can win it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Personally I feel he was very important, especially in the final.

Around the 3:45 mark, BOD makes a break after spotting a gap, which leads directly to our first try. First proper inroad we made in the game, and we never looked back. We'll miss him alright, but I feel a little excited at the prospect of the 13 shirt being up for grabs for a long spell!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭pajunior

Also he had a massive game in the semi v Tolouse. One of the performances of the season.

what a 40 mins of rugby. I was in tears, so were some of the Northampton fans I was talking to, but for slightly different reasons. Great fans, cheered Leinster lifting the trophy in the main.

wrt BOD, there's definitely an element of Gaillimh about him these days. The things that he does on the pitch without the ball these days are just as important for the team as he does with the ball. He reorganises the backline constantly, and there is no better 13 at the "shooter" defence that we can use against teams with quick half backs. The thing that's important about such a defence is not to always make your tackle, it's to always force the first receiver into making the decision a split second sooner. This is a double edged sword if you get it wrong though, as if the 13 is in any way out of position, forcing the first receiver to throw a pass quicker than he normally would can cost you hugely, as a good pass will almost certainly put the opposition over the gain line.

He's not the player he once was in terms of always making space, always finding gaps, but he's still the type of player that with 3 minutes on the clock, and trailing by 4, you want to be trying to get the ball to as often as possible.

• Advertisement

yeah, I'd like to see that too, but don't think it'll happen being honest.

Isa's influence is negated a bit too when he isn't at FB, but I still want Kearney playing there. Might be a little bit worried about d'Arce's pace to defend the 13 channel.

actually, thinking further on this, what if we went with McFadden at 14, and Isa at 11. He'd certainly have more opportunity to be involved with link up play as an 11 than at 14. Kearney's a left footer, so patrols the right touchline on defensive patterns, but leaves the left touchline to the 8 and 11 mostly.

11 Nacewa
    12 Fitzgerald
    13 D'Arcy
    14 McFadden
    15 Kearney

could be potent, and defensively sound too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement