Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

wixfjord wrote: »
    Independent saying that Healy may be out or on the bench.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/heineken-cup/heinke-to-get-leinster-call-2931021.html

Not too worried about that Heinke is a good scrummager, but hopefully Ciano is fit for the bench.

I'd say it will be just a bit of rotation more than anything. Midweek Leinster confirmed no real injury worries. Also there's some mind games that go on in these build-ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

An come on, he was playing with 7 men, against a strong Munster pack hungry for a try, and had Kevin MCL behind him!

What about his cameo against Toulouse last year? He can't have lost that much power in 8 months!

I think you may have misread me. I'm a big fan of Heinke... But last season he wasn't at his best until the business end of the season imo.

Also, we can talk about a 7 man scrum, but in truth we were missing an 8 who regularly pops up. The got the hit and that was that, nothing to do with missing our tail. I've seen teams scrum on their try line with less players and win the scrum... (T14 semi last season with toulouse springs to mind)

... don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming HVDM for it, but he didn't help stop it either. I'd blame it on the combo of him and Hagan, I think they might not be working together as well as they could... yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭conf101

.ak wrote: »
    I've seen teams scrum on their try line with less players and win the scrum... (T14 semi last season with toulouse springs to mind)

Munster had a pretty sensational one against Northampton in Thomond last year too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

iroced, how's your scrums been holding up in the top 14 so far? Do you think they could cause us problems, especially with Healy looking to sit this one out? HVDM didn't exactly install me with confidence going on last weeks performance....

Up to now we've been pretty poor in the scrums. Sometimes dominated (I especially remember the game in Racing Metro 92), very often rightfully penalised (going on the ground, oversuffering from the opponents physical impact). It was better when Gorgodze came back from the WC (we won our 1st away game of the season in Bayonne from notably a good performance of our forwards). But then we lost again 2 games in a row (that we were largely capable of winning) and were heavily (and rightfully) penalised both times, again.
    Now Ouedraogo, our captain is back. And we should have a full team available. But, I feel the problem is that we need to find the alchemy in the scrum. We have quite a few (7 with 4-5 potential regular starters) new players up front and up to now we're still in the running-in period. Ouedraogo actually recognised that issue in a recent interview.
    Potentially, our scrum is pretty solid (I can't remember any game last year where we've been hammered in that "forwrad battle"). The question is when they'll find this alchemy...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

conf101 wrote: »
    Munster had a pretty sensational one against Northampton in Thomond last year too

Yeah and wasn't Quinlan in the 2nd row as well after POC was sent marching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Yeah and wasn't Quinlan in the 2nd row as well after POC was sent marching.

And Howlett in the back row.

Unbelievable stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Fireball07 wrote: »
    And Howlett in the back row.

Unbelievable stuff.

Oi! This is the Leinster thread! Move along there now...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Also, we can talk about a 7 man scrum, but in truth we were missing an 8 who regularly pops up. The got the hit and that was that, nothing to do with missing our tail. I've seen teams scrum on their try line with less players and win the scrum... (T14 semi last season with toulouse springs to mind)

... don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming HVDM for it, but he didn't help stop it either. I'd blame it on the combo of him and Hagan, I think they might not be working together as well as they could... yet.
    You are missing the key disadvantage of a 7 man scrum here. Heaslips usual contribution in the scrum is irrelevant, its the defensive cover that messes the whole system up. Heaslip being gone means that both flankers need to be more capable of getting away to cover gaps on the opposite side, which means they have to have their heads up, which means they can't go into full bind.

So in effect a 7 man scrum is a 5 man scrum.

Yes teams have done better in the same situation, but it is still a massive disadvantage and certainly is somewhat of an excuse. The front row definitely should have gone down sooner though, it was not a penalty try situation until they started giving up ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Dunno why that post is like that, ill fix it later.

Look at this for a match-day scarf! Ye wouldn't catch the aul' lads on Anglesea road selling anything like this... ;)

image_src_3461.jpg

Jersey is very cool as well...

• Advertisement

:eek:

What the hell is the problem with the French jerseys for European Competition ? We always have to be different (e.g. look at the Stade Français and the French soccer teams in the Champions League...). Why can't we just respect the history, the symbols and the colors of our clubs ?

This jersey with the Three Graces statue on it is ... well ... Why can't we play with our colors, our identity ? We want to have a collector jersey to remember our first ever game in HCup against Leinster? OK, let's have a "kind of harp" designed on the side/top side which would evoke the Leinster emblem and let's keep our normal blue color with the Cistus monspeliensis flower. I feel it'll be more appropriate than having an image of the Place de la Comédie on a rugby jersey...

Anyway, at least it's not as scandalously ugly as the last year jersey for the Amlin Cup...
    IMG_9865-web-%282%29.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Oi! This is the Leinster thread! Move along there now...

I was just backing up the previous point :p and the threads seem to switch for a while, the Munster thread was all about Leinster's group...odd.

iroced wrote: »
    :eek:

What the hell is the problem with the French jerseys for European Competition ? We always have to be different (e.g. look at the Stade Français and the French soccer teams in the Champions League...). Why can't we just respect the history, the symbols and the colors of our clubs ?

This jersey with the Three Graces statue on it is ... well ... Why can't we play with our colors, our identity ? We want to have a collector jersey to remember our first ever game in HCup against Leinster? OK, let's have a "kind of harp" designed on the side/top side which would evoke the Leinster emblem and let's keep our normal blue color with the Cistus monspeliensis flower. I feel it'll be more appropriate than having an image of the Place de la Comédie on a rugby jersey...

Anyway, at least it's not as scandalously ugly as the last year jersey for the Amlin Cup...

I'm with ya on the peculiar French rugby jerseys thing.. and I hope it doesn't slip into Irish jerseys.. although Leinster seem to be halfway there... But I actually really like this one! It's not too garish, and sits well I think.

But I actually really like this one! It's not too garish, and sits well I think.

Yeah I see your point. And I must admit that the jersey itslef is not ugly. But I'm just reluctant to the Three Graces symbol on it. Being from Montpellier, it's a bit too much for me. It's like if you had the Spire or O'Connell statue on the Leinster jersey...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Leinster7

adidas_stadefran_home11.jpg

on another note, does anyone else agree the Ireland RWC Puma jersey was awful. Stupid neck slit thing and you could see the sweat from the players in patches on it...awful design. The new Leinster Canterbury jerseys are just crap. Munster's are pretty cool...addidas got the best designers of the lot ;)

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Just thought that, on the eve of HEC 2011, I'd post this.

Still gives me chills watching it.

I believe that if we can get a home QF this year, Drico and Shaggy will be back and then anything is possible once again. Believe in Blue Magic!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Absolutely savage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Just thought that, on the eve of HEC 2011, I'd post this.

Still gives me chills watching it.

I believe that if we can get a home QF this year, Drico and Shaggy will be back and then anything is possible once again. Believe in Blue Magic!

Ahh the memories will never go away!!! was behind post at end where all tries where scored by both sides. The one good one was half way thru second half, me and other lads figured out we had to go toilets, in middle of row so after 2 minute discussion we bolted, jumped crawled over people to get to end, leg it to toilets and get back to our seats!! the whole row of fans where laughing!!!

hahaha!! bring it on!!

One thing what time is kick off on Saturday? 1.30?

What a final. How good were Northampton for the first 40 in fairness? They absolutely tore our scrum a new one. Never mind calls for boring in etc, you don't send a scrum back 10m onto their arses without completely overpowering them. They were also exceptionally adventurous, they tried stuff and it came off. Will never get tired of seeing teams play brave rugby.

I'd be very happy to meet them again someway along our journey this year, the fans were gents to a man. Before, during and after, and they made plenty of noise for the first 40. It was a final that captured the game the way it should be played and supported to be honest. I'd love to do it all again.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Leinster7

greatest final ever. as agreed by all pundits too. brings a tear, might've been even sweeter than 09'. Such a shame we have such an average International setup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

What a final. How good were Northampton for the first 40 in fairness? They absolutely tore our scrum a new one. Never mind calls for boring in etc, you don't send a scrum back 10m onto their arses without completely overpowering them. They were also exceptionally adventurous, they tried stuff and it came off. Will never get tired of seeing teams play brave rugby.

I'd be very happy to meet them again someway along our journey this year, the fans were gents to a man. Before, during and after, and they made plenty of noise for the first 40. It was a final that captured the game the way it should be played and supported to be honest. I'd love to do it all again.

I'm nearly 100% convinced that Northampton cracked open the bubbly at half time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Still gives me heart problems to watch it!

I use it in lessons on sports in Ireland over here, just so I can watch it over and over again. :pac:

tolosenc wrote: »
    I'm nearly 100% convinced that Northampton cracked open the bubbly at half time.

Tonga'hui didn't really come out for the second half

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Tonga'hui didn't really come out for the second half

He didn't come out because he, like most of his teammates, was absolutely exhausted after the first half. Rugby is an 80-minute game and if you're going to shoot your wad in the first 40, you'd better have a good bench but Northampton did not.

Just watched those highlights again, it's just awesome. Not only did Leinster come back from a 16-point halftime deficit, but they had the game wrapped up with 25 minutes still to go.

I still regret that Madigan booted the ball out for the final whistle with Leinster in the Northampton 22 and facing broken opponents. Another score would have put the seal on the day.

Big Nelly wrote: »
    One thing what time is kick off on Saturday? 1.30?

Yes. 2.30 local time so 1.30 in here ;).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I still regret that Madigan booted the ball out for the final whistle with Leinster in the Northampton 22 and facing broken opponents. Another score would have put the seal on the day.

Me too somewhat. Another score would have put it up there with one of the biggest winning margins in a HEC final, which would have been expected in the other direction at half time! Would have given Sexton a chance to get the record for most points in a final too, which his performance certainly deserved.

TBH play was getting broken up, we weren't going anywhere. Yes a score would've been nice, but a turnover would be horrid.

Leinster7 wrote: »
    on another note, does anyone else agree the Ireland RWC Puma jersey was awful. Stupid neck slit thing and you could see the sweat from the players in patches on it...awful design. The new Leinster Canterbury jerseys are just crap. Munster's are pretty cool...addidas got the best designers of the lot ;)

I loved the RWC top. Simple, clean, the color is great. I hate the test jersey though, cuz that hexagonal design is much more evident on it. I alo like the collar.

Also not mad on the Munster jersey - last years was really nice - white trim is nicer imo. Leinster is stupid, but is growing on me. Connacht HEC one is the best of the lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Me too somewhat. Another score would have put it up there with one of the biggest winning margins in a HEC final, which would have been expected in the other direction at half time! Would have given Sexton a chance to get the record for most points in a final too, which his performance certainly deserved.

Apart from the fact Sexton was on the sidelines, hence Madigan was on the pitch.

Records like that are nice to haves, the only record most people remember or care about is lifting the trophy. Madigan was 100% right to boot the ball out and start the celebrations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Podge_irl wrote: »

To be honest we where in the crowd and where shouting for them to kick the ball to touch to start the full celebrations!!!!!!!!!! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement